Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 31, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #181 of 1,649
@XERO1

With the SYS, there is no audible difference in SPL that I can hear or measure at 12 O'Clock vs at 5 O'clock full clockwise.
I dont like to turn a pot to its extreme if not really needed.
Interesting....
Really? That's strange. I just tested this, and there's a huge audible difference in volume level between 12:00 and 5:00 on the SYS I have. :thinking:

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #182 of 1,649
I took mine apart.
Its a 10 k pot.
Measured.
Hmm..
I have the dac going in the left RCA's looking from the front.
The two amps are connected to the RCAs on the right looking from the front.
So i can switch between amps with the same dac.

In this way I have the same change in amplitude but its 180 out from yours..

Hey, can you use this in reverse to switch 1 input to two outputs?
Yes, with the volume all the way up. But why not just use RCA Y-cables or splitters?

I am definitely using it in reverse. One input into the system output!
Funny though the Schiit manual still states pot full open.

In this usage. I have a big difference in volume (output) but its in the full off (down) position to about 9-10 o'clock position. After that even though the measured resistance changes the amplitude is the same as full open..

1672506377371.png

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #183 of 1,649
This is my first post here since 2016. Finally, I got my MM2 this morning. Here is my first impression, MM2 is more of an upgrade from Modi+, and if you are looking for the original MM sound, MM2 may not be what you are looking for. But I still think MM2 is technically a better DAC than the original MM, with more clarity and natural highs.

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #184 of 1,649
This is my first post here since 2016. Finally, I got my MM2 this morning. Here is my first impression, MM2 is more of an upgrade from Modi+, and if you are looking for the original MM sound, MM2 may not be what you are looking for. But I still think MM2 is technically a better DAC than the original MM, with more clarity and natural highs.

What differences are you hearing compared to Modi+ ?

Im tempted to pick one up but ive always struggled to really hear any differences between delta sigma DACs no matter the price. R2R/ Schiit Multibit would be my last attempt to improve my system, otherwise ill stick with Modi+ knowing im not missing out on anything from the more expensive units.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #186 of 1,649

Im tempted to pick one up but ive always struggled to really hear any differences between delta sigma DACs no matter the price. R2R/ Schiit Multibit would be my last attempt to improve my system, otherwise ill stick with Modi+ knowing im not missing out on anything from the more expensive units.
I need more time to listen to them, but at this point, I feel MM2 is more resolving than Modi+. I am not saying there is a day and night difference between them though and I am not sure what improvement you are looking for. I will be happy with either of them.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #187 of 1,649
I need more time to listen to them, but at this point, I feel MM2 is more resolving than Modi+. I am not saying there is a day and night difference between them though and I am not sure what improvement you are looking for. I will be happy with either of them.

I am looking for more air and even better separation of instruments (if possible)

Resolution, detail and timbre is already good enough for me with Modi+
Also for an ESS there is no harshness in the treble that I can hear.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #188 of 1,649
I am looking for more air and even better separation of instruments (if possible)

Resolution, detail and timbre is already good enough for me with Modi+
Also for an ESS there is no harshness in the treble that I can hear.
You may only need equalization. My HD650 with the right EQ produces an excellent Hi-Fi experience.

Jan 1, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #189 of 1,649
I've had my MM2 for about a week now and I like it. I've used my 6XX's, Sundara's and K702's with it. The 702's were a bit bright but that is the nature of the headphone. My other ones were an enjoyable listen. Happy New Year.

Jan 1, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #190 of 1,649

Takes some courage to state you struggle to hear differences between DS dacs...I have found these differences to often be non-discernible as well. Even with the various filters that some dacs have...but many state they do. Great fun.

Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #192 of 1,649

I think you should definitely give the MM2 a try. And if you don't hear any discernible differences/improvements over your M+, then you simply aren't sensitive to what R2R DACs offer over D-S DACs, which is probably a blessing in disguise.

For me, is not about whether a R2R DAC has more or less resolution or detail than a D-S DAC, it's that R2R DACs seem to have this unique ability to just make everything sound more realistic, true to life and musically engaging than any similarly priced D-S DAC ever could.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #193 of 1,649
To me a good multibit dac made instruments sound real like they are in the room with you. Not just a really good copy of an instrument.

The very first time it really hit me was listening to Norah Jones Sinking Soon. I remember thinking "WOW, that is a muted trumpet in the song" when I had always just noticed some sqwaking in there

Jan 1, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #195 of 1,649
set it up and listened a little need gonna let it settle before I make any judgements, so far I like it.

Edit: After using it for a few days now. I notice it runs way cooler than the previous Mimby

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back