Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,306 of 1,649
Had the MB2 since day one.
Awesome dac in this price range and hits way above the price point IMO!

"Tiny Tim" amongst giants...and it fairs nicely...

1687633819742.png

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,307 of 1,649
Are you ready for the barrage? Don't faint on me now - well here goes...............
LOL I fell asleep last night. Finally have time to reply now, does that counts as fainting? :joy:
Can you tell me why you sold your MMB2 (R2R)? Was it not warm enough in your opinion? I know that you said it was clean and the SDAC was richer and thicker.
I think it has more to do with my tonal preference + headphone. MMB2 I would say has neutral mids, not emphasized not recessed. My TH900 has recessed mids. I want something rich in the mids to offset the V shape. On top I also want richer than normal upper mids. So I'm special case LOL.

MMB2 I'd say is more clean sounding. At this point I'd say you could go either way depending on your tonal preference but keep in mind MMB2 is definitely more detailed dac.
Can you tell me how you found the imaging and soundstage between the two Dacs?
I find SDAC is more even in all direction, where as MMB2 has intimate vocal (which I like) but as a result felt more like closer in forward/back depth but wide in left/right soundstage.
Can you tell me how much the Massdrop X Grace costs all in CDN? Have you had it long enough to say definitively that it's the boy for you?
It's discontinued so right now you can only find it through second hand market.

Otherwise SDAC Balanced is about $130-150 CAD and SDAC Standard is about $80-100 CAD I think.
Would you say, in your opinion, that its sonics (SDAC Grace) punch above its price point?
I think it does but then again I'm the only guy I know that swear by it LOL. So I don't think I count as normal case.

The friend who I sold MMB2 to really enjoyed it as an upgrade to his MMB1. I think that's a bit more normal scenario. :joy:
One R2R that I've heard of, and which sounds good supposedly, is the Soekris.
Had the MB2 since day one.
Awesome dac in this price range and hits way above the price point IMO!

"Tiny Tim" amongst giants...and it fairs nicely...

1687633819742.png
Ah yes I see a Soekris 2541 here, I had the 1541 which was the previous flagship before the 2541.

Soekris is definitely the widest dac I've heard. Everything just sounds huge and grand. But it is a more neutral sounding dac so depending on amp pairing it could be too cold or just right. Also vocal not intimate which is not my preference so it's a deal breaker LOL. Again I have very specific criteria I look for.

For most other people if you want huge / grand sounding dac (think of it like orchestra) then Soekris is great!

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,308 of 1,649
The friend who I sold MMB2 to really enjoyed it as an upgrade to his MMB1. I think that's a bit more normal scenario. :joy:
And he is still enjoying it very much. More so than his MM1. Which is good because the pressure tactics the friend used involved rare vintage tubes and promises of more. 🤣

Having the combo of MM1 and MM2 offers a wide tonal variety. DAC rolling is almost as much fun as tube rolling. But if I...er... he had to choose just one DAC as a daily driver it would be the MM2 over the MM1, Modi 2U, MOTU Ultralite mk5, Lavry DA10 in current rotation. But he's also a weirdo who values the MM2's phenomenal clarity, detail and imaging. The NOS option is fun too, when some recordings can benefit from the diffuse indistinct treatment.

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #1,309 of 1,649
Spending time plugging the MB2 into all my amps...so far the results are very interesting.
Two weeks in all the $100 - $200 range amps, Schiit Vali, Magnis etc..and a few DIY's.
Using only Rad 0's in this "experience"..
Started on the high dollar stuff ...
So far the iFi iCan Pro Signature amp is my favorite with the MB2 + Rad 0's...
Its a sit up and say WOW moment...but as always after a few days it becomes "normal: and the process starts all over!
Out brains are really funny AAC's... (analog to analog computers)...
Its fun to play with all the combinations...once I find one that IMO is great I stick with it for hours cycling thru the source material!
The slam on several bassy recording with the iFi/MB2 and Rad 0's rivals the best I have heard even the Abyss stuff.
Ah Life is good!
and the coffee is great!
:>)
Happy Sunday AM!
Alex

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,310 of 1,649
LOL I fell asleep last night. Finally have time to reply now, does that counts as fainting? :joy:

I think it has more to do with my tonal preference + headphone. MMB2 I would say has neutral mids, not emphasized not recessed. My TH900 has recessed mids. I want something rich in the mids to offset the V shape. On top I also want richer than normal upper mids. So I'm special case LOL.

MMB2 I'd say is more clean sounding. At this point I'd say you could go either way depending on your tonal preference but keep in mind MMB2 is definitely more detailed dac.

I find SDAC is more even in all direction, where as MMB2 has intimate vocal (which I like) but as a result felt more like closer in forward/back depth but wide in left/right soundstage.

It's discontinued so right now you can only find it through second hand market.

Otherwise SDAC Balanced is about $130-150 CAD and SDAC Standard is about $80-100 CAD I think.

I think it does but then again I'm the only guy I know that swear by it LOL. So I don't think I count as normal case.

Ah yes I see a Soekris 2541 here, I had the 1541 which was the previous flagship before the 2541.

Soekris is definitely the widest dac I've heard. Everything just sounds huge and grand. But it is a more neutral sounding dac so depending on amp pairing it could be too cold or just right. Also vocal not intimate which is not my preference so it's a deal breaker LOL. Again I have very specific criteria I look for.

For most other people if you want huge / grand sounding dac (think of it like orchestra) then Soekris is great!
Thanks Hyde for all of the above. Really, really appreciate it................eh!

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,311 of 1,649
Spending time plugging the MB2 into all my amps...so far the results are very interesting.
Two weeks in all the $100 - $200 range amps, Schiit Vali, Magnis etc..and a few DIY's.
Using only Rad 0's in this "experience"..
Started on the high dollar stuff ...
So far the iFi iCan Pro Signature amp is my favorite with the MB2 + Rad 0's...
Its a sit up and say WOW moment...but as always after a few days it becomes "normal: and the process starts all over!
Out brains are really funny AAC's... (analog to analog computers)...
Its fun to play with all the combinations...once I find one that IMO is great I stick with it for hours cycling thru the source material!
The slam on several bassy recording with the iFi/MB2 and Rad 0's rivals the best I have heard even the Abyss stuff.
Ah Life is good!
and the coffee is great!
:>)
Happy Sunday AM!
Alex
Hello adydula. Silly question maybe, but can you tell me if your iFi Can Pro Signature amp is headphone only, or, can it do 2 channel also? If so, how much $$$ do they cost? It looks like the Soekris is sold out in NA.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,312 of 1,649
Hello adydula. Silly question maybe, but can you tell me if your iFi Can Pro Signature amp is headphone only, or, can it do 2 channel also? If so, how much $$$ do they cost? It looks like the Soekris is sold out in NA.
Thanks.
iFi Ican Pro is a headphone amp only.
Soekris sells out many times..
Send Modhouse a email and ask them to put you on the list when they come in stock.
I had to do this.
Alex

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #1,315 of 1,649
Switch to D8000 Pros...11 out of 10.
The MB2 is worth every bit of $299.

D8000 Pro's are very very clear and tonally accurate.
The Rad 0's are wonderful, just a tad less accurate and a tad warmer...very fun and spacious.
2 excellent cans.
And you can hear dac differences with them as well.
Wondeful!

Jun 27, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #1,316 of 1,649
Topping D70s MQA
Sorry I'm days late, and I haven't heard most of the DAC's on your list, but I wouldn't buy anything with MQA playabilty. Your just wasting your money, even if MQA survives "bankruptcy".

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,317 of 1,649
Sorry I'm days late, and I haven't heard most of the DAC's on your list, but I wouldn't buy anything with MQA playabilty. Your just wasting your money, even if MQA survives "bankruptcy".
Thank you emorrison.

I'm still doing some product research and still working on finding a nice integrated amplifier. Was looking at the Hegel H95 but was taken aback when I ran into the "Audio Science Review" of this product. All of the measurements from the tech were really ugly. I know that you cannot go entirely on specs but man, they were down right negative. It left a psychological imprint on my brain - cannot get past it. I really was interested in it as I had heard many good things about it. But, how can something good have such negative readings in multiple sonic categories conducted by an experienced tech with results that anyone can duplicate on their own if they choose; having the proper equipment of course?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/hegel-h95-review-streaming-amplifier.28435/

So, I'm still looking for a two channel amp that isn't bright but rather neutral and if I can find one a little on the warm analogue side it would be gravy!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,318 of 1,649
Thank you emorrison.

I'm still doing some product research and still working on finding a nice integrated amplifier. Was looking at the Hegel H95 but was taken aback when I ran into the "Audio Science Review" of this product. All of the measurements from the tech were really ugly. I know that you cannot go entirely on specs but man, they were down right negative. It left a psychological imprint on my brain - cannot get past it. I really was interested in it as I had heard many good things about it. But, how can something good have such negative readings in multiple sonic categories conducted by an experienced tech with results that anyone can duplicate on their own if they choose; having the proper equipment of course?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/hegel-h95-review-streaming-amplifier.28435/

So, I'm still looking for a two channel amp that isn't bright but rather neutral and if I can find one a little on the warm analogue side would be gravy!
The British amps (like Cambridge Audio, NAIM, Rega) are typically neutral from what I've read. I do have the Cambridge Audio AXR100, but I didn't use the MMB 2 with it for very long. It is definitely a neutral amp though.
I don't put much into measurements, but I agree. If they completely trash something, best to give it some attention, or at least factor it into your research.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #1,319 of 1,649
... how can something good have such negative readings in multiple sonic categories conducted by an experienced tech with results that anyone can duplicate on their own if they choose; having the proper equipment of course?
As I mentioned before, he's not an experienced tech and even the manufacturers of the equipment he uses "to test" things disagree with how he does it.

P.S. Did you see Hegel's response at post 467 and 468 on that "review"?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #1,320 of 1,649
As I mentioned before, he's not an experienced tech and even the manufacturers of the equipment he uses "to test" things disagree with how he does it.

P.S. Did you see Hegel's response at post 467 and 468 on that "review"?
Hello Artur:

"He" does find much equipment to have good ratings also (some Schiit stuff included), not just negative ones. I would think that after this long in giving measurements, that if his method was completely wrong, he would have rectified himself so as not to appear the fool in front of a global audience, but then again, maybe not. People can be obstinate in their ways.

No, I did not see Hegel's response. Does one have to click that number of times to get to that page number or, is there a quicker way as I would very much like to see their response.

Edited after re-reading.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back