Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #1,336 of 1,649
Nice jazz club! MM2 is still working for me. Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every so often I'll put my old MM1 in but it doesn't stay in for long.
Thanks Runrun. It sounds like the MMB2 is the cat's pajamas in this price range and more. My country's currency is getting stronger so I might save a few doll hairs on my purchase. Enjoy the music!!:relieved:

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,337 of 1,649
The MM2 is the opposite of the kind of audio gear that wows you right from the start, but that you get sick of after a short period of time. The more I listen to the MM2 the more impressed I am and pleased with the sound quality. I know burn-in can't be going on this long, but somehow it sounds better and better.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,340 of 1,649
Back to music briefly, but one of the best recorded, and most fun tracks I've heard recently is the "C Jam Blues" cut from the "Live the Life" album by The Jim Kweskin Band. It's an old Duke Ellington song from 1942 and this recording makes you feel like you're right in front of the band at a small club. Lots of other good tracks on the album, but this is my favorite. I found it on Qobuz.

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,341 of 1,649
Hey folks!

Googling "differences between Modi Multibit 1 & 2" I found this on a Reddit thread:

"MM 1 v1:
  • AD5547
  • 4x oversampling with NOS if fed 192kHz content
  • C-Media USB Type-B
MM 1 v2:
  • AD5547
  • Modified burrito filter with glitch fix, identified by a different ROM chip if opened (see this thread for board pictures of the new chip being installed)
  • C-Media USB Type-B

MM 2:

• AD5547
  • 8x oversampling with option to turn filter off for NOS at any input sample rate, Bifrost 2 style
  • Analog stage changes, different op-amps
  • Unison USB with USB-C connector"
If anyone knows, does this sound about right? Anything to add? Has it always used the AD5547?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #1,342 of 1,649
Hey folks!

Googling "differences between Modi Multibit 1 & 2" I found this on a Reddit thread:

"MM 1 v1:
  • AD5547
  • C-Media USB Type-B
MM 1 v2:
  • AD5547
  • Modified burrito filter with glitch fix, identified by a different ROM chip if opened (see this thread for board pictures of the new chip being installed)
  • C-Media USB Type-B

MM 2:
  • AD5547
  • 8x oversampling with option to turn filter off for NOS at any input sample rate, Bifrost 2 style
  • Analog stage changes, different op-amps
  • Unison USB with USB-C connector"
If anyone knows, does this sound about right? Anything to add? Has it always used the AD5547?

Thanks!
Always the AD5547.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #1,344 of 1,649
Has anyone ever tried Schiit Eitr with MMB2? I usually use the Eitr with my Gumby but decided to connect it to the MMB2. I actually ended up preferring the Eitr over Unison. You lose a bit of details, but it also got rid of the slight grain in the upper treble region which I found to be a bit fatiguing at times.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,345 of 1,649
Just for fun, I also paired it with a Wyrd that I have lying around. With this setup, noise floor is now even lower with a somewhat wider soundstage and tighter bass. It could be my ears playing tricks with me or noisy USB port, but I like this paring the most. I know that MM2 has Unison, but the USB input is not galvanically isolated like the Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,346 of 1,649
Just for fun, I also paired it with a Wyrd that I have lying around. With this setup, noise floor is now even lower with a somewhat wider soundstage and tighter bass. It could be my ears playing tricks with me or noisy USB port, but I like this paring the most. I know that MM2 has Unison, but the USB input is not galvanically isolated like the Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil.
If you're talking about the W4S Remedy Reclocker, you're ears aren't playing tricks with you. Exactly what I heard when I paired my Remedy with my Gungnir A1 - lower noise floor, better "involving" soundstage, more defined bass. But to get the most out of the Remedy you need a good LPS (like the one I just sold TODAY to another Remedy owner). FYI, it was a Swagman Labs LPS.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,347 of 1,649
If you're talking about the W4S Remedy Reclocker, you're ears aren't playing tricks with you. Exactly what I heard when I paired my Remedy with my Gungnir A1 - lower noise floor, better "involving" soundstage, more defined bass. But to get the most out of the Remedy you need a good LPS (like the one I just sold TODAY to another Remedy owner). FYI, it was a Swagman Labs LPS.
Nope. I am talking about the Schiit Wyrd. It's a USB decrapifier that Schiit used to make when their USB implementations were mediocre. I don't think I can spend $400 on a reclocker plus 140 for a LPS. My Wyrd is only 40$.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,348 of 1,649
Nope. I am talking about the Schiit Wyrd. ..............
Ahhh, sorry. When you wrote "Wyrd" it immediately made me think of the Wyred 4 Sound unit which had just about the exact same sonic attributes you described. Nice unit but SPDIF (optical, RCA & BNC) only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back