Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #196 of 312
Quote:
 So with that said, I strongly disagree that the Asgard isn't enough for the LCD-2s. As with anything, sure, there are even better amps out there; but the Asgard sounds great to me with the LCD-2s, and is even more remarkable considering the price.

You're in good company. Arnie Nudell, Bascom H. King, and Kavi Alexander (look them up) all use Asgard 2s (that they purchased from us, none of this give-away-so-we-can-say-they-use-it stuff here) with LCD-2s. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #197 of 312
Maybe the  LCD2's are super efficient, but I hear a big difference when going from Magni to an SX-650 pioneer receiver with both my Mad Dogs and D2000's. I would say D2000's benefit even more. Bass is what improves the most. I am prepping for the Alpha Dog upgrade and want a more endgame amp. Hard to think the Magni can compete with the Lyr which is what you are basically saying.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #198 of 312
Quote:

You're in good company. Arnie Nudell, Bascom H. King, and Kavi Alexander (look them up) all use Asgard 2s (that they purchased from us, none of this give-away-so-we-can-say-they-use-it stuff here) with LCD-2s. 

lol. Jason please continue to talk me out of spending more money at your site. My student loan balance will thank you. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #199 of 312
Quote:
Maybe the  LCD2's are super efficient, but I hear a big difference when going from Magni to an SX-650 pioneer receiver with both my Mad Dogs and D2000's. I would say D2000's benefit even more. Bass is what improves the most. I am prepping for the Alpha Dog upgrade and want a more endgame amp. Hard to think the Magni can compete with the Lyr which is what you are basically saying.

It may also be that your receiver has elevated bass; nothing wrong with coloration if you enjoy it.

For my sound preferences with my cans, yes, I think the Magni and Lyr are comparable. But a large part of that is that I don't want to tube roll and I like clean solid-state sound. I'm sure there are a lot of other cans that I would prefer the Lyr with, but not necessarily the LCD-2s.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #200 of 312
Is there really a difference in power ouput between the Asgard 2 and the Magni at 50 Ohms? I have been thinking about upgrading my Mad dogs (or maybe Alpha Dogs :)) from the M&M stack to the Bitfrost/A2 stack. I pullled away from tubes altogether due to my music genres, and the fact that tube (rolling) seems to be very expensive.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #201 of 312
  Is there really a difference in power ouput between the Asgard 2 and the Magni at 50 Ohms? I have been thinking about upgrading my Mad dogs (or maybe Alpha Dogs :)) from the M&M stack to the Bitfrost/A2 stack. I pullled away from tubes altogether due to my music genres, and the fact that tube (rolling) seems to be very expensive.

No, no difference between the amps for power output. The Bifrost does 2.0v compared to Modi's 1.5 though, so that can make a difference.

If you feel that the M&M don't have enough power for the Mad Dogs then Bifrost + Asgard might not satisfy that for you either; although I've found they have enough power for anything I throw at them.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #202 of 312

No, no difference between the amps for power output. The Bifrost does 2.0v compared to Modi's 1.5 though, so that can make a difference.

If you feel that the M&M don't have enough power for the Mad Dogs then Bifrost + Asgard might not satisfy that for you either; although I've found they have enough power for anything I throw at them.

I just sometimes feel I can squeeze more potential out of them. It just may be a matter of upgrading the DAC section, but the MM stack was my first venture. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #203 of 312

I just sometimes feel I can squeeze more potential out of them. It just may be a matter of upgrading the DAC section, but the MM stack was my first venture. 

Bifrost should sound better...whether it's worth it to you isn't something I can answer. I like the Asgard more than the Magni, but at least for the original Asgard it was more of a personal preference/feeling and not based off of sound quality. Unfortunately, while I think B&A will sound better, there's no way I can tell you how much better you'll find it or whether it's worth doing.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #204 of 312

Bifrost should sound better...whether it's worth it to you isn't something I can answer. I like the Asgard more than the Magni, but at least for the original Asgard it was more of a personal preference/feeling and not based off of sound quality. Unfortunately, while I think B&A will sound better, there's no way I can tell you how much better you'll find it or whether it's worth doing.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I may just spend some money on both asgard 2 and the Audio-gd SA-31 amp to decide for myself and see which one I like better (with the Bitfrost). 

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #206 of 312
  so hows the MM with the HE-500? thinking of getting the MM soon. then either the HE-500 or SRH1840 (still torn between the two). though im afraid that the MM wont be enough for the HE-500. 

It should have more than enough power, but I can't say for sure how it'll fit your listening preferences. You may also want to look at the Vali as an alternative to the Magni.

Personally I'd go HE-500 over the Shures, as I think planars are pretty special.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #207 of 312
  so hows the MM with the HE-500? thinking of getting the MM soon. then either the HE-500 or SRH1840 (still torn between the two). though im afraid that the MM wont be enough for the HE-500. 

I had this combo for a while, it felt a little underwhelming to me.  I wound up finding a really good deal on Lyr and the extra power made a world of difference but I never could find a pair of tubes that sounded quite right to me.  I've also tried the HE-500 with a Little Dot MkIII and a head room micro amp, neither of witch seem quite up to the task.  Right now I'm leaning towards a HPA V100.

EDIT: Go for the HE-500 if you haven't experienced planar magnetics yet.  It will blow your mind.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #210 of 312
I like the look of the schiit stacks. Probably going MM. If I go bifrost asgard that means no new headphones and I'll be using the schiits with my SRH940.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That's not a terrible thing.  I have the 940 as well and why they aren't the best they're definitely good enough that you will be able to appreciate the difference between the two stacks and give you time to look around/save money for an even better pair of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back