Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
May 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #151 of 312
I have the Modi feeding an A2 and like the combo well enough.  I find the Modi to be a step up from the line out on my iMac feeding the A2.

I will eventually replace the Modi with another DAC to take advantage of the integer direct mode in Audirvana.  For now, the Modi will do. 
cool.gif

May 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #153 of 312
I don't think anyone's done that comparison yet.

As far as Magni vs Asgard 2, if you aren't concerned with adjustable gain or pre-outs, and find the Magni's volume control and range good enough then I'd probably just keep it.

Or you can do what I did and buy both and do the comparison for the community (and keep whichever you like more).

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #155 of 312
Is the Modi worth ditching my creative x-Fi for?

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #156 of 312
Unfortunately it isn't really possible for me to tell you whether it'll be worth it to you. For me personally if I already had the X-Fi I probably wouldn't bother with the Modi (or any other entry-level DAC), as I don't feel like it's that much of a difference.

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #157 of 312
Defiant00,

I am new to Head-Fi and your review of Magni/Modi helped me decide to get these for my new Senn HD 518. Thank you especially for posting the issue the PYST cables cause, as I saved my money and used some cables I already had with no trouble. They also allow me to place the pair closer to the wall to give me more desk space.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #159 of 312
Just returned an A2 and picked up an M/M after reading your review. My combo came with some real flexible PYST cables. Looks to be a thinner cable than yours. I didn't do a direct comparison, but the A2 was more spacious sounding, but more laid back in the highs. The M/M was just what I was looking for.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #160 of 312
Quote:
Just returned an A2 and picked up an M/M after reading your review. My combo came with some real flexible PYST cables. Looks to be a thinner cable than yours. I didn't do a direct comparison, but the A2 was more spacious sounding, but more laid back in the highs. The M/M was just what I was looking for.

A2? whats an A2?

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #163 of 312

Glad to hear the review helped and that you're enjoying your M&M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back