Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Mar 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #136 of 312
Quote:
I know people would disagree with me but when I watch YouTube or play games, I really don't care about sound quality. When I'm playing games, I'm fully concentrated on the game and I don't analyze the sound quality so I'm perfectly fine with my brothers Samsung laptop with its bad internal laptop sound. About watching YouTube, I doub vids on there are recorded well anyway so I don't really bother to have a setup for it

Sounds like you've answered your own question then 
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #139 of 312
Are folks enjoying their Modi and Billforst through speakers in addition to HP? I'd be curious if improvement in sound is as apparent through speakers as well as HPs. I would assume a DAC is a DAC......regardless

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #140 of 312
Quote:
Well yeah but I also want to point out maybe some people can save some money if they build their systems my way?
tongue.gif

Very true.

Quote:
Defiant, have you had any chance to hear the new Asgard 2 thus far? Or perhaps your opinions of the Lyr comparatively too?

Ps: Are you sure you're still not coming to the Winston meet?
tongue.gif

Haven't heard the Asgard 2; I actually jumped off the portable deep end and sold my full-sized setup. With the HD600s and LCD-2s though I actually preferred my Asgard over the Lyr, I seem to in general prefer a more solid state character (and I don't want to get into tubes), and at my listening levels I doubt I'm taking advantage of the Lyr's extra power. I did like the Lyr with the K701 though, since I was able to find some tubes that tamed the treble enough that I was able to enjoy them.

Meets are on hold for me for now as we're expecting our second daughter any day now (wife was due Saturday...still waiting...) and we aren't going to be doing much traveling for a while once she gets here :)

Quote:
Are folks enjoying their Modi and Billforst through speakers in addition to HP? I'd be curious if improvement in sound is as apparent through speakers as well as HPs. I would assume a DAC is a DAC......regardless

I have heard good things from a number of people about using Bifrost with speakers, as yes, a DAC is a DAC and it isn't specifically designed for headphones.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #141 of 312
Quote:

Very true.

Haven't heard the Asgard 2; I actually jumped off the portable deep end and sold my full-sized setup. With the HD600s and LCD-2s though I actually preferred my Asgard over the Lyr, I seem to in general prefer a more solid state character (and I don't want to get into tubes), and at my listening levels I doubt I'm taking advantage of the Lyr's extra power. I did like the Lyr with the K701 though, since I was able to find some tubes that tamed the treble enough that I was able to enjoy them.

Meets are on hold for me for now as we're expecting our second daughter any day now (wife was due Saturday...still waiting...) and we aren't going to be doing much traveling for a while once she gets here :)

I have heard good things from a number of people about using Bifrost with speakers, as yes, a DAC is a DAC and it isn't specifically designed for headphones.

Cool. That's what I figured. I was wondering if the Bilfrost is competitive with other stand alone DACS  you would find marketed to audiophiles. For their price point, I can see they might be a good buy, since a lot of the  DACS run closer to $500-1000.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #143 of 312
Quote:
Cool. That's what I figured. I was wondering if the Bilfrost is competitive with other stand alone DACS  you would find marketed to audiophiles. For their price point, I can see they might be a good buy, since a lot of the  DACS run closer to $500-1000.

In general it seems to be quite a well-regarded DAC for the price, for headphones or speakers.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #144 of 312
Quote:

In general it seems to be quite a well-regarded DAC for the price, for headphones or speakers.

That's what I want to hear
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #148 of 312
hey, i was wondering if anyone had any views on schiit magni + DACportLX, i have read that the DACportLX has better sound than the modi.  I plan to use it with hifiman he-400, and i mainly listen to trance, edm.

Thanks

May 25, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #149 of 312
Should I still stick with Modi/Magni or would the Asgard 2/ Modi be better. Read that the Asgard sound almost identical with the Magni and the Bifrost sound just slightly better on the highs, but what about the Asgard 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back