Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Dec 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #61 of 312
All in all, I just think the Magni needs a gain switch. I like it's gain, but it does make it hard to adjust volume for more sensitive cans. I'm usually at around 9-10 o'clock in terms of driving my HE-400 LOUD. That's way too early in the volume knob. Should be around 11....

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #62 of 312
Quote:

If in Windows go to your sound settings, Playback tab, select the Modi and hit Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and under Default Format select any of the 24 bit options (I use 24 bit 44100 Hz since most all my music is 44.1)

All of my files are FLAC CD rips - would setting it to 24 bit be detrimental, or is that what it should be at?

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #63 of 312
Quote:
All of my files are FLAC CD rips - would setting it to 24 bit be detrimental, or is that what it should be at?

At the very worst 24 bit will sound the same as 16 bit, and if you're adjusting volume on the computer then you want to have it in 24 bit mode to not lose data.

So I'd just leave it in 24 bit mode.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #64 of 312
Regarding the volume pot...I just ordered the magni for use with my fiio e7 as dac. As you know the e7 has volume from 0-60. When I use my vintage nikko receiver as my amp, I put the e7 to 60 and receiver sits around 10 oclock on the pot. This is with D2000's. With the magni, is there anything wrong with setting the e7 to say 30 or 45 and having more room on the magni? Or is highest e7 output best?

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #65 of 312
Quote:
Regarding the volume pot...I just ordered the magni for use with my fiio e7 as dac. As you know the e7 has volume from 0-60. When I use my vintage nikko receiver as my amp, I put the e7 to 60 and receiver sits around 10 oclock on the pot. This is with D2000's. With the magni, is there anything wrong with setting the e7 to say 30 or 45 and having more room on the magni? Or is highest e7 output best?

Lower volume on the E7.  If I remember correctly, that adjusts the volume control in the TPA6130 chip (the amp chip that's after the DAC), for what that's worth.  Usually it's not something worth fretting too much about, but it's a much more significant thing than a lot of factors that some audiophiles obsess over, IMHO.

But don't go overboard reducing from the E7, or you're just making the signal small at the E7's output, reducing the effective SNR.

As usual:  a tradeoff.  Then again, I'd just set whatever is more comfortable to use in terms of adjusting volume.  In fact, for D2000, I'd consider just using the E7 by itself and forgetting the Magni, if you try the Magni and don't particularly like using it more.  It's not like you need that ~1W of power into those headphones.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #66 of 312
Lower volume on the E7.  If

As usual:  a tradeoff.  Then again, I'd just set whatever is more comfortable to use in terms of adjusting volume.  In fact, for D2000, I'd consider just using the E7 by itself and forgetting the Magni, if you try the Magni and don't particularly like using it more.  It's not like you need that ~1W of power into those headphones.

Thanks. I find bass with the e7 isnt controlled very well. Too loose. Plus there are a ton of people looking to see how the magni does with the D2000 and i want to write up a review for it. Also nice to compare it to e7 and see. Obviously with hd600's or something the e7 isnt enough. I hope it gets here by the end of the week. Im in florida though...

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #67 of 312
Quote:
All in all, I just think the Magni needs a gain switch. I like it's gain, but it does make it hard to adjust volume for more sensitive cans. I'm usually at around 9-10 o'clock in terms of driving my HE-400 LOUD. That's way too early in the volume knob. Should be around 11....

I would have paid an extra $25 for a gain switch (or different/better pot) but they probably wanted to keep it under the magical $99 price point and made the decision they did.  Hopefully a running change will be in the works someday...

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #69 of 312
Defiant nice write up it came across as very honest and well thought out. There needs to be more blind testing in reviews! Can't wait to check out the new gear at the Charlotte meet later this month

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #70 of 312
I'm tempted to pick up this little stack of Schiit. I'd probably substitute the Modi for a Pro-ject PhonoBox, however 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #71 of 312
Thanks for the thorough review!  I think I'll be buying some new Schiit to go behind my Asgard, replacing my E10 at work.

Off-topic, that's a gorgeous goban.  That made me drool a fair bit more than the audio kit.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #73 of 312
Since it's come up a couple times, here's a few more pictures of my Go set.
And to make this actually sort of related, I actually polished the bowls earlier today with the Audez'e wood care oil
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #74 of 312
My Modi arrived yesterday. I've never used a DAC before so I can't compare it to the Bifrost, ODAC or anything else. What I can say is I love it. Right out of the box, I spent the first few minutes switching back and forth between my Macbook Pro soundcard right into Audioengine A5+ speakers vs. through the Modi. It was no contest! The Modi made everything sound richer and warmer. Sounds were more distinct. It was like being present for the music rather than hearing it electronically rendered.

This topic is what finally helped me to pull the trigger on the Modi. Really glad I did. No doubt, in time there will be even better, cheaper DACs as the technology continues to advance. That's why it made sense to me to save a few bucks and get the Modi rather than the Bifrost or even the ODAC. Reports like your indicated that any differences are subtle. This setup is more than good enough. In a year or two, I'll see if anything new has come along that would seem to justify an upgrade. Thanks again.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #75 of 312
Quote:
My Modi arrived yesterday. I've never used a DAC before so I can't compare it to the Bifrost, ODAC or anything else. What I can say is I love it. Right out of the box, I spent the first few minutes switching back and forth between my Macbook Pro soundcard right into Audioengine A5+ speakers vs. through the Modi. It was no contest! The Modi made everything sound richer and warmer. Sounds were more distinct. It was like being present for the music rather than hearing it electronically rendered.

This topic is what finally helped me to pull the trigger on the Modi. Really glad I did. No doubt, in time there will be even better, cheaper DACs as the technology continues to advance. That's why it made sense to me to save a few bucks and get the Modi rather than the Bifrost or even the ODAC. Reports like your indicated that any differences are subtle. This setup is more than good enough. In a year or two, I'll see if anything new has come along that would seem to justify an upgrade. Thanks again.

Glad I could help, and more importantly, glad you like your Modi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back