Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Nov 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #226 of 312
  Hey thanks for taking the time to answer my questions... just a few more if you dont mind: 

Talked to schiit and they seem to think stacking modi on A2 for long periods of time is no big deal. Just hope they say that if/when i have a warranty problem haha.

I understand what youre saying but is there any drawback to run modi at 24 bit while playing 16 bit FLACs and leaving 100% comp volume and using A2 volume control? or is there just a drawback when you run modi at 16 while playing 16 bit FLACs and you don't have comp volume at 100%? 

In the same vain, how about when im using an aux cable in my car with an iphone? I guess i would want to keep my iphone at 100% and using the stereo to control how much output i want?

So as i mentioned i'm thinking about getting the Adam Audio F5s which are powered monitors. I'm going from usb to modi to asgard 2 to F5s. I guess Asgard 2 is helping to preamp the signal before it picks up noise from the modi to the F5s? Is the quality going to be that much better than if i go from modi straight to the F5s? I'm guessing the Asgard 2  can drive passive speakers as well?

No problem.

Modi in 24 bit with 16 bit music and comp at 100% should be the best quality (16 bit music to 24 bit dac is bit perfect,  just with an extra 8 bits of padding). Only actual potential 'drawback' is if it's 16 bit Modi and 16 bit music with comp < 100% (and even that's theoretical, since most people probably wouldn't hear the difference during normal listening). Still, the first scenario would be the way to go unless there's some reason to have your comp at < 100%.

With your car and iPhone...since the iPhone is amping it first then it might be better to turn it up all the way and might be better a little below full volume, but that depends on if the iPhone clips when turned up all the way so I can't really give you a guaranteed accurate answer...for that I'd just try it both ways to see what sounds better to you.

If you're only going to be using the powered monitors (and don't mind using their volume control) then you can go Modi directly to the F5s. Having the A2 in the chain just means you have a separate volume control if that's more convenient. The A2 can't drive passive speakers to any useful degree, the preamp functionality is just to run into powered monitors or a proper speaker amp.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #227 of 312
So we're talking about the computer's master volume right? What about like application volumes like itunes? How does that affect quality?

so the only advantage to having the A2 in the chain is that you have a separate volume control?

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #228 of 312
  So we're talking about the computer's master volume right? What about like application volumes like itunes? How does that affect quality?

so the only advantage to having the A2 in the chain is that you have a separate volume control?

For best quality, everything on the computer should be at 100% volume (any/all programs and master volume as well). Otherwise you're going to be throwing away the lowest level audio information (and as previously stated, no guarantee you'd be able to tell a difference or not, but you are technically throwing away data if it's a 16 bit file and the DAC's set to 16 bit).

With the A2, yes, that's basically it. If it was something like the Lyr then you'd get some amount of tube sound out of it, but not the A2.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #229 of 312
Just ordered Asgard 2 MODI and RCA PYST cables... Hope it doesn't take too long to ship out... 

Does anyone really think that the USB Male A to Male B cable can affect audio quality?

Is there a specific thread that discusses and has a good but brief list of good headphones for certain amp/dac pairings? obviously im interested in what headphones are generally accepted to be good for the Asgard 2/Modi pairing. Anyone know if the Senn HD700 or the Beyerdynamic T70s  are good for this pairing? Or is there a good thread to look through for these answers?

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #230 of 312
  Just ordered Asgard 2 MODI and RCA PYST cables... Hope it doesn't take too long to ship out... 

Does anyone really think that the USB Male A to Male B cable can affect audio quality?

Is there a specific thread that discusses and has a good but brief list of good headphones for certain amp/dac pairings? obviously im interested in what headphones are generally accepted to be good for the Asgard 2/Modi pairing. Anyone know if the Senn HD700 or the Beyerdynamic T70s  are good for this pairing? Or is there a good thread to look through for these answers?

congrats man

i dont see how male a to male b would negatively impact sound quality at all. A lot of pro gear i have used has male a to b, so the music your listening to might have used that very cable.

there isnt really a thread like that, you just kinda have to dig around, plus one persons opinion is so subjective that a seemingly easy thread like hp+amp+dac=good would quickly turn to chaos haha. However if you want to get some opinions and recommendations for cans for your combo i suggest going here http://www.head-fi.org/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #231 of 312
Nah for the USB i mean is there any noticeable difference between Schiits PYST usb male a to b and monoprices a to b. I picked up the RCA PYST because the cable lengths exact for stacking them not that i'm expecting them to be better than monoprice RCA but i couldn't really justify getting the schiit USB PYST cables so i'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that.

I understand it's subjective but it does seem like there are a few technical components to people deciding what pairs well with certain types of headphones right? like being able to drive orthos and stuff like that? 

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #232 of 312
There probably isn't a noticeable sound difference, more than likely pyst USB are just a better quality cable and might last longer than the monoprice. I know schiit uses straight wire for their pyst ic's which are quality wire, so maybe they do with the usb cable as well, that would justify the price difference

yeah for sure,I'll use schiit as the example just because of the thread. The schiit Valhalla is a otl type amp so it delivers high voltages into high impedance cans(think beyer 300/600ohm cans) however it can't produce the current needed for low efficient orthos like the lyr. That's not to say that your Asgard won't be able to be used with orthos or cans with higher imps, from my experience it's a good all around amp but depending on what direction you go in the hobby you can suit the amp to your cans needs

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #233 of 312
I
This may be just a bit off topic, but after quite some time with my Modi, which I run through AudioEngine A5+ speakers (mostly streaming MOG), I'm very happy with my choice. Really glad I didn't go for a lesser "starter" DAC (like the AE D1). I had thought for a while of upgrading to the Bifrost but the longer I sat with it, the less important that felt. People say the Bifrost sounds a bit better but I'm not sure I would notice the difference and it doesn't feel important enough to spend $400 when I'm completely satisfied with what I have.

I know this isn't the norm on an audiophile site and I post it just to offer a perspective not heard everyday.

I feel the same way, had the m50 as my first can now i am on the hd598 and satisfied. I am getting a ha540 tube amp though.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #234 of 312
Thank you so much for this fantastic review!

I'm rather new to the audiophile headphones scene, and for the last few weeks I researched extensively what Headphone/Amp/DAC combo I was going to buy to listen to EDM. I settled for the HE-400 which seems to be exactly what I'm looking for with my current budget, but didn't know what Headamp I was going to take. I was thinking about the Lyr (yes, it's a bit overkill for HE-400 but it would have been an investment for the future), then the Vali which has just been released today... But I don't think I want a tube amp for my first amp, as good as it may be. I'd like to try a more neutral, solid state sound, without any of the potential issues of the tube amps (microphonics, limited lifespan, need to shut them down when you don't use them...). I live in Europe, and sending back an amp to Schiit if I have a problem with it would be pretty difficult/long, too.

Soooooo, I finally read your review and now I'm dead set on the Modi/Magni combo. The form factor is a huge plus, too: they're nice looking, stack perfectly, and will have a really small footprint on my desk. Sound quality should be more than enough for a first DAC/amp with a HE-400. And the price point is just amazing (even with the duty fees to Europe...).

Then I'll upgrade in the near future to a LCD-2 when I'll have the necessary finances.

Thanks again!

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #235 of 312
  Thank you so much for this fantastic review!

I'm rather new to the audiophile headphones scene, and for the last few weeks I researched extensively what Headphone/Amp/DAC combo I was going to buy to listen to EDM. I settled for the HE-400 which seems to be exactly what I'm looking for with my current budget, but didn't know what Headamp I was going to take. I was thinking about the Lyr (yes, it's a bit overkill for HE-400 but it would have been an investment for the future), then the Vali which has just been released today... But I don't think I want a tube amp for my first amp, as good as it may be. I'd like to try a more neutral, solid state sound, without any of the potential issues of the tube amps (microphonics, limited lifespan, need to shut them down when you don't use them...). I live in Europe, and sending back an amp to Schiit if I have a problem with it would be pretty difficult/long, too.

Soooooo, I finally read your review and now I'm dead set on the Modi/Magni combo. The form factor is a huge plus, too: they're nice looking, stack perfectly, and will have a really small footprint on my desk. Sound quality should be more than enough for a first DAC/amp with a HE-400. And the price point is just amazing (even with the duty fees to Europe...).

Then I'll upgrade in the near future to a LCD-2 when I'll have the necessary finances.

Thanks again!

Glad I could help, the M&M are an excellent combo.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #237 of 312
Would you recommend the M&M for higher impedance cans like 250 and 600, or would it be better to step up to B&A (or Valhalla) combo at that point?

Or maybe the Vali/Modi combo to keep cost down and ensure non-planar headphones are driven with enough power?

Looking for a Amp/DAC combo to drive primarily Beyerdynamic headphones.   I like the price point of the M&M but seems like most are going this route with low impedance cans.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #238 of 312
  I know question wasn't for me but maybe I can help? 250 Yes. 600 No. I like my 770s and 990s with tubes, just personal pref. Mine are 250s and the greatest thing that I ever did was build a bottlehead crack. Never heard sound this good before but IMO

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #239 of 312
This is an awesome review! I love the fact that your comparison was based on what did you REALLY hear from these two stacks regardless of their specs/prices. I'm using the Vali/Modi and I was wondering how better the sound quality would be if I upgraded them to Asgard2/Bifrost (or LYR2/Bifrost).

Clearly, I will definitely be using this cute Schiits for a while :) Thanks for such a great review.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #240 of 312
  This is an awesome review! I love the fact that your comparison was based on what did you REALLY hear from these two stacks regardless of their specs/prices. I'm using the Vali/Modi and I was wondering how better the sound quality would be if I upgraded them to Asgard2/Bifrost (or LYR2/Bifrost).

Clearly, I will definitely be using this cute Schiits for a while :) Thanks for such a great review.

Glad I could help! It wasn't a perfect test, but it made it pretty clear to me that there weren't huge differences at least :)

From what I've heard secondhand, you're probably more likely to benefit from a DAC upgrade than an amp, as people really seem to like the Vali (I haven't heard one yet, but it'll probably be my next purchase).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back