Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Sep 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #256 of 312
  Wow Great thread! I wish I had seen this before buying a new amp. People get so excited on here, its hard to not want more gear. Threads like these need to be posted on the front page so we can save some people's wallets. :p

Ha well considering Head-Fi makes money off of manufacturers advertising here (and other ways) Im sure they wouldnt want to support anything that shows giving manufactuers more money for "upgrades" can be not worth it.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #258 of 312
Good morning,

Is the Magni 2 / Modi 2 enough for an HE-560 or should I look for a AMP/DAC with more power?
I like the look of the Schiit products, but don't know which is the 'good enough' for an HE-560.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #259 of 312
  Good morning,

Is the Magni 2 / Modi 2 enough for an HE-560 or should I look for a AMP/DAC with more power?
I like the look of the Schiit products, but don't know which is the 'good enough' for an HE-560.

1.2 W RMS of the Magni 2 Uber can drive the 560's 45 Ohm impedance at 90 dB/mW to almost 121 dB SPL continuously. That's plenty enough headroom and more than enough power for comfortable to loud listening levels. In fact the non uber can drive it to 120 dB SPL continuously and is probably good enough.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #260 of 312
  1.2 W RMS of the Magni 2 Uber can drive the 560's 45 Ohm impedance at 90 dB/mW to almost 121 dB SPL continuously. That's plenty enough headroom and more than enough power for comfortable to loud listening levels. In fact the non uber can drive it to 120 dB SPL continuously and is probably good enough.

Is it also enough for an HE-6?

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #261 of 312

Is it also enough for an HE-6?

The Uber can actually take the HE-6 to 114.3 dB SPL continuously. For many people this is loud enough with enough headroom. I expect that many will cringe at this assertion, but these are the numbers.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #265 of 312
  Which headphones do you have? Chances are that you may want to consult your wallet.

I'm new to the audio world, at the moment I've a very bad Logitech G35, although it works fine with skype and so on.
At the moment I'm making a shift from photography to cinematography so I wanted a more analytical headphone.
The problem is; it has to be comfortable with normal listening like classical music.

First I looked to the Sennheisers and came to the conclusion that the lower priced headphones like the H650 are not very neutral, and the treble isn't that good. (according reviews)

Then I started looking to the Hifiman and considering the HE-6 and HE-560 and I don't know which one I have to buy :wink:
I want to get the most for my money, but also keeping the future in mind.

According to this comparison the M&M aren't that bad, and combining them with the HE-560 is an option.
For a few euros extra I can get the HE-6 but maybe the AMP need a upgrade to the Lyr.

The first option is cheaper, but looking to the future the second option is maybe better?

My budget is around 2000 euro...

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #266 of 312

I'm new to the audio world, at the moment I've a very bad Logitech G35, although it works fine with skype and so on.
At the moment I'm making a shift from photography to cinematography so I wanted a more analytical headphone.
The problem is; it has to be comfortable with normal listening like classical music.

First I looked to the Sennheisers and came to the conclusion that the lower priced headphones like the H650 are not very neutral, and the treble isn't that good. (according reviews)

Then I started looking to the Hifiman and considering the HE-6 and HE-560 and I don't know which one I have to buy :wink:
I want to get the most for my money, but also keeping the future in mind.

According to this comparison the M&M aren't that bad, and combining them with the HE-560 is an option.
For a few euros extra I can get the HE-6 but maybe the AMP need a upgrade to the Lyr.

The first option is cheaper, but looking to the future the second option is maybe better?

My budget is around 2000 euro...

Take a look at the Sennheiser HD600, it is considered neutral and is very nicely priced. It is also not hard to drive for a 300 Ohm can so you don't have to look for an exotic amp, any Schiit will do.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #267 of 312
  Take a look at the Sennheiser HD600, it is considered neutral and is very nicely priced. It is also not hard to drive for a 300 Ohm can so you don't have to look for an exotic amp, any Schiit will do.

Yeah, but I think that it isn't very smart to buy a cheap AMP only suitable for the Sennheiser HD600.
When I want to upgrade to an HE-560 of HE-6 I don't want to buy a new more powerful AMP, that's what I mean by futureproof...

I've seen the Sennheiser HD600, it is neutral but I think it's not detailed enough...
Do you think that a Lyr and Modi should do the trick for HD600 and HE-6?

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #268 of 312

Yeah, but I think that it isn't very smart to buy a cheap AMP only suitable for the Sennheiser HD600.
When I want to upgrade to an HE-560 of HE-6 I don't want to buy a new more powerful AMP, that's what I mean by futureproof...

I've seen the Sennheiser HD600, it is neutral but I think it's not detailed enough...
Do you think that a Lyr and Modi should do the trick for HD600 and HE-6?

The HD600 is nicely detailed, don't know where you get the impression that it is not. An Asgard 2 or Magni 2 can easily drive my HE-500's and the 560's are about as sensitive as the 500's. There's a lot of anecdotes about amps. Why are you so interested in a more expensive amp when you are willing to get the entry level DAC? Are you really going to get an HE-6?

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #269 of 312
  The HD600 is nicely detailed, don't know where you get the impression that it is not. An Asgard 2 or Magni 2 can easily drive my HE-500's and the 560's are about as sensitive as the 500's. There's a lot of anecdotes about amps. Why are you so interested in a more expensive amp when you are willing to get the entry level DAC? Are you really going to get an HE-6?

This thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared (treble and detail issues)

I keep in mind that in the future I might switch to a more difficult (to drive) headphone.
The topicstarter of this thread says that the differences in sound aren't that big in DAC.
But the HE-6 (and other harder to drive headphones) requires a more powerful AMP isn't it?

And maybe you are right and the DAC should have an upgrade.

For me it is difficult to make a decision without any reference point, but I appreciate your feedback very much!

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #270 of 312

This thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared (treble and detail issues)

I keep in mind that in the future I might switch to a more difficult (to drive) headphone.
The topicstarter of this thread says that the differences in sound aren't that big in DAC.
But the HE-6 (and other harder to drive headphones) requires a more powerful AMP isn't it?

And maybe you are right and the DAC should have an upgrade.

For me it is difficult to make a decision without any reference point, but I appreciate your feedback very much!

The requirements for power are usually exaggerated, few headphones require more than 1W at low impedance and few hundred mW at higher impedances, The HE-6 is in the rare case of power hunger, if you are truly planning on getting this soon, then maybe a 3 or 4 W amp is on your cards.
While your wallet is on overdrive, how about the new upcoming HE-1000? It is more sensitive and doesn't need as much power. 
biggrin.gif
 When it comes to this stuff, it is easy to spend much more and get little more in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back