Schiit Mjolnir2 Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #47 of 114
Cool! Enjoy them and do let them have a couple days of playing time on them before you begin to make critical assessments. You may be surprised at how different the tubes sound at "time 0 hrs" and "time 24 hrs" and "time 48 hrs"

Do I have to play music to burn them in, or just leave the amp on?

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #49 of 114
I got a few tubes off of eBay, not anymore, I can't trust what I'm getting. One pair I got was 1962 bugle boys for $55, but they look wrong to me. So I am now buying from Brent, I got the Siemens CCA's from him and Amperex PQ type, white label. I got a pair of Miniwatts from the Tube Depot. I did get a pair of REFLEKTOR SingleWire SilverShield1975 off eBay that I think are the real deal.

Do you think these will all have a very different sound signature?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #50 of 114
To me, the tubes do have subtle differences in sound rendering. As I mentioned above in a prior post, the Miniwatts sounded a tiny bit brighter than the Amperex. My preference is for a intimate club sound, not a bright space. The Amperex, so far, are perfect for me: when listening, I simply stop thinking about the hardware and bit streams and just get lost in the music... Any tube that is so "easy listening" is one for me.

Now I am trying a pair of Reflector ( edit out grey ) SILVER shields, then will get around to a pair of Telefunken Cca, then maybe I will find time to break in, listen and write up the GE5670's that iFi flogs in a 6922 adapter.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #51 of 114
To me, the tubes do have subtle differences in sound rendering. As I mentioned above in a prior post, the Miniwatts sounded a tiny bit brighter than the Amperex. My preference is for a intimate club sound, not a bright space. The Amperex, so far, are perfect for me: when listening, I simply stop thinking about the hardware and bit streams and just get lost in the music... Any tube that is so "easy listening" is one for me.

Now I am trying a pair of Reflector grey shields, then will get around to a pair of Telefunken Cca, then maybe I will find time to break in, listen and write up the GE5670's that iFi flogs in a 6922 adapter.

What is the difference between the Reflector grey shields and silver shields? Just wondering if I should have got the grey shield instead.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #52 of 114
Gray plates and silver shields.....

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #54 of 114
Just got everything hooked up, using the best I have right now... REFLEKTOR SingleWire SilverShield1975's. they already were used for about 100 hours. doesn't sound too bad..... I'll give it more time.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #56 of 114
Rolled in some used Bugle Boys, I like them better, more detail, and fuller sound, not as harsh.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #57 of 114
There is no way the Bugle Boys have more detail than the 1975 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields. The Bugle Boys are certainly warmer tubes but lack the clarity and detail of the Reflektors.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #58 of 114
There is no way the Bugle Boys have more detail than the 1975 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields. The Bugle Boys are certainly warmer tubes but lack the clarity and detail of the Reflektors.

Maybe you're right, I am just getting used to the sound of the amp and DAC and tubes. I have some NOS Soviet 6N23P-EV's plugged in now. Can't wait to get the Siemens Cca's on Friday, also got miniwatts coming and some nice telefunkin's, and Amperex PQ type white label.

I'll reserve my opinions until I get a handle on everything. My Ether Flow's are new too.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #59 of 114
Where do I post to sell tubes? I have NOS MATCHED AND BALANCED QUAD STRONG 6922 GOLD PIN SYLVANIA 4 TUBES = ECC88 6DJ8 for $100.00, I paid $140, never used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back