Schiit Mjolnir2 Tube Rolling Thread
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #91 of 114
Well, if you just received the GMB/MJ2, give it some time to settle in, that will help.
I have tried a LOT of tubes in the MJ2, my first choice would be the Reflector 6N3P-E.
Adapter socket required, about $10/pair.
Inexpensive, high quality tube that surpasses, or least equals, any of the Euro/USA legends.
These have been in my MJ2 for the past year and a half.
Good bit of information becoming available on this tube now, here's some basic info:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-903#post-13688879

You can read the recent discussions of this 2C51/396A/6N3P tube group on that thread.
Lots of praise.

Where can you get a 6N3P-E >> 6922 adapter.. quick googling did not turn up anything (though I may not be looking for just the right thing)???

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #92 of 114
Thank you, rnros! Any tips on what I should do to expedite the "settling in" of my new stack? I do really hope the sound warms up (my Utopia is new as well), as it stands...I've been considering returning the Utopia and getting some darker sound signature headphones because some of my music is just too painfully bright for me.

Just let the rig play for at least 30 hours, preferably 60 hours or more. The headphone may require more.
My favorite, Sony Z1R, second would be Aeon. IMHO, the Aeon is the price/quality champ at $799.
Another sweet and full choice, very comfortable with easy treble is Oppo PM-1 at about $1100.
They all sound great with the GMB/MJ2.

Edit: With headphones, always best to hear them first. More pronounced differences than some of the other gear. But with your focus on the higher end of things, you will be able to hear both the macro and the subtle differences in the various tubes. Not always the case in lesser headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #93 of 114
Thank you, rnros! Any tips on what I should do to expedite the "settling in" of my new stack? I do really hope the sound warms up (my Utopia is new as well), as it stands...I've been considering returning the Utopia and getting some darker sound signature headphones because some of my music is just too painfully bright for me.

I am using HiFiMan HE-1000's for my headphones....

I did find that it takes a solid 100-150 hrs of actual run time (just loop music into DAC and amp and turn volume down on headphones and "let it run" before tubes started to sound decent. Early hours of on a pair of Mullards were simply hideous....(see review in earlier pages)

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #94 of 114
@adcustom I've found that the MJ2 is itself on the slightly warmer side compared to say, the Ygdrassil. As noted by others you may find that warmth may shine through after settling down. I just played lots of music when I settled my own stack. I'm not personally familiar with the Utopia's but I suspect the same applies there ... a little patience may be required. I've been listening to the 5670 family of tubes last couple of weeks and they are fairly neutral in my opinion, as tubes go.

EDIT: The 5670's also require an adapter, available from EBAY ... they are delightfully detailed and satisfying in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #96 of 114
A further thought ... the Gungnir, which you have bought at the same time, will also need even more settling in than the MJ2 ... some say in the order of 150 + hours or more. I always keep it on 24/7.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #97 of 114
A further thought ... the Gungnir, which you have bought at the same time, will also need even more settling in than the MJ2 ... some say in the order of 150 + hours or more. I always keep it on 24/7.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna leave both of Gumby and MJ2 on 24/7 for the next week or so. Tell you what though...I wish Schiit had a dimmer/off switch for that white LED. This setup is in my bedroom and the LEDs are bonkers bright.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #99 of 114
Ha ! Yes, looking at mine it's like car headlights almost !!

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #100 of 114
I have ifi tube nos 6922, I need a bit more warm tube. Any suggestion?

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #102 of 114
ifi GE5670’s reconfigured as 6922’s

I bought these new from my local dealer this past spring on a lark given some of the other commentary I have read on ifi gear. If memory serves, they pair were $100, brand new, unused.
IMG_6536.JPG

I am quite happy with them! They have a great sound – not too shrill or hot on the highs and crisp bass handling. The remind me very much of my beloved Amperex’ and are a tad warmer than the Telefunken CCa’s

So how are they different from the far more expensive tubes? The ifi 6922’s have the thinnest veiling on some of the highs. It is a very subtle veiling – Britten’s Passacaglia is magnificent though with the slightest sense loss of spatial information on some of the cello bowing. With the Amperex and Telefunkens (see previous posts), you can clearly hear the different spatial orientation of the bow strings as they moves across different strings on the cello. With the ifi’s, you still hear that positionally different sound, yet to a somewhat moderated degree. As for the LISST, the ifi’s are doing a much nicer job. And the ifi’s are much better than the stock OEM GE tubes Schiit is shipping.

To a reader's question, above, what might be warmer? I would point you back to Amperex white label D-getters I write about earlier. They are the warmest of the tubes I have listened to. While others may feel the Mullards are "warm," that was NOT my experience as noted in previous postings. You might think about changing your headphones if you are finding the idi's "too bright." The highs are quite tame and reasonable on my two different HiFiman headphones and my IEM's.

At this point, I have written about the various pairs tubes I have. Maybe I will end up buying some more, but I have enough now to keep me happy, so I doubt I will add much more this quiet little thread.

Thanks for your reading!

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #104 of 114
Thanks for all the impressions, what are you listening too now? Still have the Mjolnir 2?

I am on a tube bender with mine now... my favorite being the gold Lions ATM.
You should move over to the
“Schiit tube roller thread” if you want to stay current. Even though it’s titled Lyr, that amp has been discontinued and everyone’s moved on. Many own the MJ2 and other amps that that use the same tubes that you’d run in the Lyr but with different adapters. There are so many variants you can run in your MJ2 that are worlds better then the gold lions you’re using now. Seriously you should check it out because this thread is dead.
You’ll thank me soon :ksc75smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #105 of 114
Yep, still loving the MJ2 ... after some experimentation and guidance from the forum that @koover suggests, I eventually settled on the GE5670W Five Star (via converters), reasonably affordable and gives me the sound I like in my setup and music types. But there are other options out there, just not easy to get them over here in Europe ... or too rich for my blood. For the LYR2/Metrum Flint combo, I find the lesser GE5670 to suit that setup, cheap as chips and easy to source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back