Schiit Mjolnir2 Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #106 of 114
Deleted

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #109 of 114
Ciao all,
I'm struggling to decide what tubes to buy for my MJ2, here in italy is not so simple to source good tubes without a lot of money spent in shipping and so on.

I live in Italy and i have a Schiit Gumby and a brand new MJ2 balanced with HiFiman Ananda Headphone, At the moment i only tried the stock tubes.
I read the magnificent work made by @neoluddite in testing the tubes and i restricts the choices to those:

Amperex PQ 6922, USA 1964, production code 7L8, white label, O-getter, NOS found from NOS tube Store at 235 Euros a matched pairs.
Genalex Gold Lion 6922 / E88CC found from a reseller in italy next to me at 83 euros the matched pairs
Matched Pair of General Electric 5670 5-STAR NOS 66 euros from NOS Tube store (But i have to source a reliable socket adapter)

I'm not able to source at the moment The amperexes D Getter at a reasonable price here. The IFI 5670 are no longer available so i found the GE5670 5 star above (that should be superior to the JAN 5670W) with the socket adapters on tubesdepot that ships in italy at "only" 13 dollars.
Sonic wise what is yours suggestion? Never tryied the US Amperex with O Getter? How they are in respect of the D getter ?
As far i could see the GE5670 are better that the Gold Lions with the hifiman, and should the right choice (at about 90 euros) without spending more than double the price for the Amperex.

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #110 of 114
Ciao all,
I'm struggling to decide what tubes to buy for my MJ2, here in italy is not so simple to source good tubes without a lot of money spent in shipping and so on.

I live in Italy and i have a Schiit Gumby and a brand new MJ2 balanced with HiFiman Ananda Headphone, At the moment i only tried the stock tubes.
I read the magnificent work made by @neoluddite in testing the tubes and i restricts the choices to those:

Amperex PQ 6922, USA 1964, production code 7L8, white label, O-getter, NOS found from NOS tube Store at 235 Euros a matched pairs.
Genalex Gold Lion 6922 / E88CC found from a reseller in italy next to me at 83 euros the matched pairs
Matched Pair of General Electric 5670 5-STAR NOS 66 euros from NOS Tube store (But i have to source a reliable socket adapter)

I'm not able to source at the moment The amperexes D Getter at a reasonable price here. The IFI 5670 are no longer available so i found the GE5670 5 star above (that should be superior to the JAN 5670W) with the socket adapters on tubesdepot that ships in italy at "only" 13 dollars.
Sonic wise what is yours suggestion? Never tryied the US Amperex with O Getter? How they are in respect of the D getter ?
As far i could see the GE5670 are better that the Gold Lions with the hifiman, and should the right choice (at about 90 euros) without spending more than double the price for the Amperex.

I'd suggest you hop on over the Schiit Lyr tube rolling thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/unread

These guys do nothing but test, buy, trade, collect and sell tubes. If anyone can assist you, this is the place to go. Trust me. Breww ha ha.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #111 of 114
@ilcose ... I have the same setup as you, altho' not the HiFiMan headphones. I eventually settled on the GE5670 5* (Green and White) myself some 2 years ago, or so. Some swear by the triple-mica version although I have never been able to find those over here and they're more expensive. I know some people don't like these tubes, but I found them more than adequate to my hearing and great to my wallet. I paid about 45 euros for a pair at the time and bought a number of pairs, although I'm still on the first pair... they appear to be ultra reliable and long-lived.

@koover makes a good suggestion also ... I learnt a lot from those guys when I was starting out with tubes. I guess it's a long thread by now ! Worth a read tho'.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #112 of 114
These are really good notes. And very useful for anyone considering this amp, even given hearing and preference differences.

I too have been surprised by "differences in sounds of tubes among different brands" of the same tube. I've been pleasantly surprised by some less expensive tubes too (with my Decware amps).

I'm several years late but not too late :) Reading through this thread and getting advise on tubes for my new mj2. I only have stock tubes, RCA 6BQ7A, Amperex Orange Globes and Voskhod 6n23p ( I think '73). A friend is selling me a pair of Siemens E88cc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back