Schiit Mjolnir vs Bryston BHA-1 (and Schiit Gungnir vs Bifrost)
May 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #91 of 112
Thanks for the honest and informative review. I am actually stuck between buying the Mjolnir and the BHA-1 for my Audeze LCD 2s and after reading this thread, I'm leaning more towards the BHA-1 now. I currently run my LCD2s through a Burson Soloist, which sounds great, but I want to have the option to swap to a balanced setup now that I received my Gungnir. I guess I'll go stare at their pictures some more until I decide to pull the trigger. :D

May 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #92 of 112
The difference between these two amps will be smaller with LCD-2s. I'd go Mjolnir. Bonus points for being cheaper and looks better stacked with your Gungnir. :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #93 of 112
Very useful review. Went with the Gungnir/Molnir. Sold the HD800s and kept LCD3s.  Hope you get to beta test the Ragnarok and write a review.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #95 of 112
Hi guys I too have the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir 2014 and Bryston BHA-1 2012.  I tried A/B the best I can using the Gungnir as the dac.  I tested it with my Sennheiser HD800, HD600, HD650, Audeze LCD-3, and Beyer T1.  I have to say the Bryston has a slightly brighter sound than the Mjolnir.  It pairs really good with my LCD-3, Hd 600, and Hd650.  I didn't like it so much with my hd800.  There were times I had to go back and forth many times to really hear a difference.  In my opinion, these are minor differences but audiophiles pay thousands upon thousand to get that small amount of increase in fidelity.  I'm not saying which one is better.  I think these are both great amps.  I do wish the Mjolnir offer a unbalanced connection too then this would be the obvious choice for me.  Best bang for the dollar.  One thing that I did notice when auditioning with my LCD-3 was the Mjolnir sound seemed more focused in the center of your head, while the Bryston less centered and more like listening to speakers.  I don't if you guys noticed that.  I almost would have to give the edge to the Bryston for pairing with darker headphones.  The sibilance does stand out a little more with the Bryston but you also get a little more detail retrieval.  Again I am talking faint differences where you have to sit there an do critical listening going back and forth, back and forth.  I think most general consumers like myself included will be more than pleased with either or.  They are both great amps! 

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #96 of 112
Hello Folks
Too many threads on the HD 800 and amps choice
I listed the Schiit Mjolnir , Bryston BHA1 , Violectric V220 V181 n and V281 .. and still pondering and unwilling to go for valve amps
The threads are more confusing than helping sometimes , the fact being a subjective rather than objective view in Hifi
i'm still in search but this post really helps in a way saying that the Mjolnir is a cheaper alternative to the BHA1
Cheers

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #97 of 112
Recently I had both Bryston BHA-1 and Schiit Mjolnir here at home to drive my balanced Sennheiser HD800s. The BHA-1 is still here. The Mjolnir is a nice amp but to my ears it had a kind of slight electronic edge that made it hard to for me to enjoy extended listening. With the Bryston driving my HD800s (balanced), I get detail and dynamics without irritation. Some other posters have found the BHA-1 to sound "brighter" than the Mjolnir -- that's not my experience, at least not thru my HD800s, and using a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 as main source.

I'm finding the combination of BHA-1 driving HD800s balanced to be very musically satisfying, prompting me to rediscover my music library, stay up too late, and neglect deadlines at work.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #100 of 112
Recently purchased Sennheiser HD 800 S and use the included balanced cable. With the Bryston HPA-1, the sound is nothing short of breathtaking, glorious and addicting with symphonic and chamber music. Better sound in some ways than through my Levinson amp and Thiel loudspeakers. The HD 800 S and HPA-1 combo is like being in the hall live.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #101 of 112
  Recently purchased Sennheiser HD 800 S and use the included balanced cable. With the Bryston HPA-1, the sound is nothing short of breathtaking, glorious and addicting with symphonic and chamber music. Better sound in some ways than through my Levinson amp and Thiel loudspeakers. The HD 800 S and HPA-1 combo is like being in the hall live.

Bryston makes a HPA-1? Do you mean BHA-1?

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #104 of 112
  Sorry, I typed the name wrong - it's Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp, not HPA-1.

What DAC are you using btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back