Schiit Mjolnir vs Bryston BHA-1 (and Schiit Gungnir vs Bifrost)
Dec 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #106 of 112
Got the BHA1 over the weekend to drive 800S. Breathtaking control, texture and soundstage. Sad that the Schiit Jotunheim with which I was perfectly happy before now sounds harsh, grainy and forward in comparison.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #107 of 112
Got the BHA1 over the weekend to drive 800S. Breathtaking control, texture and soundstage. Sad that the Schiit Jotunheim with which I was perfectly happy before now sounds harsh, grainy and forward in comparison.
Interesting, I have a Bryston stack: BDP-2, BDA-2, BHA-1 and I agree that control, instrument separation, soundstage are superb. What is a bit lacking, and it is totally subjective, is that all of it does not add up to such a natural an coherent presentation as I get from the same setup with HEKv2. And I do not think at all that HEKv2 are "better" than HD800S. What is your impression regarding the overall presentation, and what DAC you have?

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #108 of 112
Interesting, I have a Bryston stack: BDP-2, BDA-2, BHA-1 and I agree that control, instrument separation, soundstage are superb. What is a bit lacking, and it is totally subjective, is that all of it does not add up to such a natural an coherent presentation as I get from the same setup with HEKv2. And I do not think at all that HEKv2 are "better" than HD800S. What is your impression regarding the overall presentation, and what DAC you have?
Soundstage is artificially wide I think with BHA1+HD800S. There might be some coloration going on in the treble: it is hyper detailed and extended and yet surprisingly sweet. I use Chord Hugo 2.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #109 of 112

Not sure what to think here. Even with the Jot (with a Gumby) I find the 800S not quite forward enough, with females vocals in particular. Does the BHA-1 have a less energetic sound with the 800S. Does it make the 800S sound full? Would you recommend the combo?

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #110 of 112
Not sure what to think here. Even with the Jot (with a Gumby) I find the 800S not quite forward enough, with females vocals in particular. Does the BHA-1 have a less energetic sound with the 800S. Does it make the 800S sound full? Would you recommend the combo?
I love the BHA1 HD800S combo. Compared to jotunheim, BHA1 has a more expansive soundstage; so yeah sounds are further pushed back. Treble is detailed and extended; I think female vocals sound sweet. You could say less energetic but in a positive way; it is overall more relaxing compared to jotunheim. It doesn’t make 800S sound particularly full; it doesn’t do anything much, just lets 800S be what it is.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #111 of 112
That Bryston 20 year warranty has to be worth something.

My Mjolnir 2 blew its board after 6 years. The Schiit after sales customer service was a disgrace and because I was in Australia they offered no support and refused to fix it. I ended up going to a local audio/visual repair expert who had a good reputation and he managed to repair it. He did not have nice things to say about some of the cheapo parts he found inside the Mjolnir and had to replace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back