Schiit Mjolnir vs Bryston BHA-1 (and Schiit Gungnir vs Bifrost)
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #61 of 112
An inexpensive custom made silver cable with 4pin XLR.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #62 of 112
How does the mjolnir compare to its real life competitor...the yulong A18 sabre?

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #63 of 112
Why you call the A18 it's real life competitor?  
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #64 of 112
Why you call the A18 it's real life competitor?  :confused_face_2:

Thats whati read in a review here on headfi.. :xf_eek: so from ur reaction they are not?price is almost same and both are excellent for the price according to reviews..did i miss something?

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #65 of 112
I wouldn't call the BHA-1 'excellent for the price'. It is a good amp and worth the money, but it isn't a killer deal or anything. I may revise this later when I get a chance to hear it side by side with a Headamp GS-X at the Austin meet in March, but in this thread, the only good deal here is the Mjolnir, truly excellent for the price.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #66 of 112
Quote:
I wouldn't call the BHA-1 'excellent for the price'. It is a good amp and worth the money, but it isn't a killer deal or anything. I may revise this later when I get a chance to hear it side by side with a Headamp GS-X at the Austin meet in March, but in this thread, the only good deal here is the Mjolnir, truly excellent for the price.

Yeah,  I think he's talking about the Mjolnir and the A18 being around the same price.  

With these new amps coming out at a lesser price than the new GS-X at $2.5K, it going to be a rough road.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #67 of 112
Quote:
Thats whati read in a review here on headfi..
redface.gif
so from ur reaction they are not?price is almost same and both are excellent for the price according to reviews..did i miss something?

First the A18 is not a truly balanced amp.  It just has XLR outputs and outputs.  Kevin Gilmore came on the Yulong thread and called them out.  Now they are coming out with a truly balanced design sometime later on.

Output power: 680 ohm:95mw    300 ohm:200mw  150R:400mw  32R:1.8W  

That's not nearly the power output of the Mjonlir or the BHA-1

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #68 of 112
Quote:

First the A18 is not a truly balanced amp.  It just has XLR outputs and outputs.  Kevin Gilmore came on the Yulong thread and called them out.  Now they are coming out with a truly balanced design sometime later on.

Output power: 680 ohm:95mw    300 ohm:200mw  150R:400mw  32R:1.8W  

That's not nearly the power output of the Mjonlir or the BHA-1

i know the mjolnir is a full balanced amp and the yulong not...everyone knows that by now..the yulong A18 has only xlr ins and outs for concienence..inside its unbalanced....
but i was talking about comparisions soundwise..but i have learned through the years that a balanced amp not always is better then a non-balanced amp soundwise persee..

i am in the maket for a good amp in that price range..UPGRADING for my already VERY GOOD! 337 next year....being balanced or not..but somehow there is a huge contradiction between the two camps...the yulong camp and the shiit camp...until now no one dares to compare them SOUNDWISE..instead they use the balanced-unbalanced difference to make conclusions..
i only wish someone objectively made a comparision between the two as reviews say they both are perfect for HE500's ..so in my eyes competitors..this situation is so weird! but maybe its me who finds it weird.
IS THERE ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY LISTENED TO BOTH AMPS ON SAME HEADPHONE AND COMPARED THE TWO SOUNDWISE?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #69 of 112
No No No... It s all about the purity of the design, not the sound......What are you thinking?  
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #70 of 112
Quote:
i know the mjolnir is a full balanced amp and the yulong not...everyone knows that by now..the yulong A18 has only xlr ins and outs for concienence..inside its unbalanced....
but i was talking about comparisions soundwise..but i have learned through the years that a balanced amp not always is better then a non-balanced amp soundwise persee..

i am in the maket for a good amp in that price range..UPGRADING for my already VERY GOOD! 337 next year....being balanced or not..but somehow there is a huge contradiction between the two camps...the yulong camp and the shiit camp...until now no one dares to compare them SOUNDWISE..instead they use the balanced-unbalanced difference to make conclusions..
i only wish someone objectively made a comparision between the two as reviews say they both are perfect for HE500's ..so in my eyes competitors..this situation is so weird! but maybe its me who finds it weird.
IS THERE ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY LISTENED TO BOTH AMPS ON SAME HEADPHONE AND COMPARED THE TWO SOUNDWISE?

Objective comparison?  All any comparison is ever going to be is subjective.  I would have thought you knew that by know
blink.gif
  The only person you might find that has tried both is Project86.  Other than him.  Like you said two different camps..

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Objective comparison?  All any comparison is ever going to be is subjective.  I would have thought you knew that by know
blink.gif
  The only person you might find that has tried both is Project86.  Other than him.  Like you said two different camps..

ur right...if it was anyone being an unbeliever of objectve listening it would be me.
biggrin.gif

am just trying to find a way to get any comparision between the two..to start with..and then find the two amps to actually hear them..as i wanna update my amp next year.....am also considering a handmade tube amp special..as my budget will be around 1200 euro/1600 usd

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #72 of 112
Quote:
ur right...if it was anyone being an unbeliever of objectve listening it would be me.
biggrin.gif

am just trying to find a way to get any comparision between the two..to start with..and then find the two amps to actually hear them..as i wanna update my amp next year.....am also considering a handmade tube amp special..as my budget will be around 1200 euro/1600 usd

Simple answer... Order both!  Imagine the fun and confusion. Cover your eyes and guess which is which!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #73 of 112
Feb 2, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #74 of 112
Great review: Descriptive, informative, helpful. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back