Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jan 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,416 of 3,541
Got the mjolnir/gungnir stack on thursday. I feel the combo adds just an extra push of energy for the LCD's, they dont sound all that dark to me anymore. I don't want to go into too many specifics as I only have had a few hours to listen so far but first initial impression was energy, the sound feels more engaging to me out of both the LCD 2 and 3's, and more detailed from what I was getting  from the Lyr. I'm using optical out of my imac for the gungnir, I haven't tried to usb to see if there was an SQ difference, doubt there will be.

Agree! The Mjolnir and Gungnir give the LCD's a kick that takes them from dark to very neutral, but energetic. It's a more detailed and dynamic sound than what you get out if the Lyr--sort of a workout for your ears and brain. Intense and engaging. Either I've burned in or the equipment has, because the sound is a little less edgy than my early impressions. I just re-terminated a Sennheiser cable for my HD650s with a 4 pin XLR and the Mjolnir & Gungnir work some of the same magic on the HD650s.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,417 of 3,541
Quote:
Agree! The Mjolnir and Gungnir give the LCD's a kick that takes them from dark to very neutral, but energetic. It's a more detailed and dynamic sound than what you get out if the Lyr--sort of a workout for your ears and brain. Intense and engaging. Either I've burned in or the equipment has, because the sound is a little less edgy than my early impressions. I just re-terminated a Sennheiser cable for my HD650s with a 4 pin XLR and the Mjolnir & Gungnir work some of the same magic on the HD650s.

Couldn't agree more.

I've also spoken with a few people who feel the same way, either we're use to the sound or
the sound has settled because it no longer feels edgy.

Of course this is all moot when you switch to a different headamp and then switch back Mojo.
Not the edgy part per se, but the aggressive presentation.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,418 of 3,541
Couldn't agree more.

I've also spoken with a few people who feel the same way, either we're use to the sound or
the sound has settled because it no longer feels edgy.

Of course this is all moot when you switch to a different headamp and then switch back Mojo.
Not the edgy part per se, but the aggressive presentation.

I miss that rush I first got when I first fired up the LCD2s with the Mjolnir. That was a rocket-fueled kick. I'm still enjoying the sound, but is seems...well, more-mannered. Maybe I should switch off to the Lyr for a while and see if I can get that feeling again when I switch back.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,419 of 3,541
My feet just starts moving when the Mjolnir / Gungnir feeds music to the LCD-2/LCD-3. Why? Don't really care to analyze. I just appreciate the fact that said combo contributes positive to my musical health. :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,421 of 3,541
Quote:
I'm giving up on the Mjolnir. Twice I've had to send it back for the same problem, buzzing in the right channel. At this point, I'm going to look for another balanced amp to drive my HE500's.

I just got my Mjolnir, I had buzzing in the right channel as well. I sent an email to Schiit and Jason responded in seconds! He said it might be a grounding problem (my houses actual A/C outlet, not the amp). It was plugged into my kitchen direct to the wall outlet to test it out when I noticed the buzzing. After Jasons reply I took it down stairs to my listening room and plugged it into my line conditioner which is plugged into a voltage regulator.....Problem solved. I'm guessing 333jeffery has a problem with the wall outlet he was plugging into not the Schitt.
The Customer Service of Schiit is second to none!

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,422 of 3,541
Dissapointed to learn their customer service is so poor. Unless you meant SECOND to none??? 
size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,425 of 3,541
So what was the problem, 333jeffery?

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,426 of 3,541
The first time I returned it, Schiit said it was a servo. When the problem came back, I asked Jason for a refund, which he gave me. And, I washed my hands of it after that. Same problem, two times, was enough for me. My guess would be that a circuit board was defective in it.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,427 of 3,541
Quote:
The first time I returned it, Schiit said it was a servo. When the problem came back, I asked Jason for a refund, which he gave me. And, I washed my hands of it after that. Same problem, two times, was enough for me. My guess would be that a circuit board was defective in it.

Ah, that's a bummer. What did you end up getting instead?

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,429 of 3,541
Quote:
Wasn't a problem with the ground, as it was plugged into an isolation transformer. Same as all my other amps. The problem developed after several hours of operation.

Yeah, I had the same buzz, ramdomly right or left side only.
I thought have solved the problem by separating the ground where I plug amp and my cd player. One on my purepower conditionner and the other directly in a wall outlet.
It worked until today where buzz appear once again :frowning2: !
About 5 hours in total between last time buzz was audible.

Jason told me Mjolnir is very picky about current strangeness... Seems due to cyclotron topology.
Many customers must have written to the support.

Hope the team works on the problem and all concerned Mjolnor will be updated.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,430 of 3,541
My location in Norway must be perfect then. My Mjolnir is dead silent - wrt. noise. Mjolnir is magical with LCD-2 and LCD-3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back