Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jan 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,401 of 3,541
Hi there,
I see at Schiit's website the Mjolnir is a high-voltage amp. Will it be good paired with my LCD-2 which loves the current so much
And do you all know what is "no overall feedback"?
Thanks so much

Most headphone amps use an Op Amp or two somewhere in the chain to amplify the signal.
Op Amps use a lot of feedback to reduce distortion, reduce output impedance, increase input impedance, increase bandwidth, etc.
Op Amps are used throughout the recording and mastering chain.

But for some wierd reason Audiophiles think feedback is bad.
Go figure.

There may be no overall feedback in the amp, but if you look at the circuit long enough, you'll find some feedback in the circuit somewhere.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2,402 of 3,541
What is the difference in terms of female vocals going from the Lyr to the Mjolnir?  I really love the smooth and lush character of female vocals on the Lyr.  Would the Mjolnir be a step in the opposite direction?

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,403 of 3,541
Quote:
What is the difference in terms of female vocals going from the Lyr to the Mjolnir?  I really love the smooth and lush character of female vocals on the Lyr.  Would the Mjolnir be a step in the opposite direction?

I loved the Lyr ,and all 35 pairs of tubes I used ,especially,with male, female vocals,&  with some operas.

The MJ ,gives me, a more detailed sound,not as warm as the Lyr IMHO--coupled with the Gungnir,will make it a bit smoother,though.
YMMV

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,404 of 3,541
Quote:
and all 35 pairs of tubes

eek.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2,406 of 3,541
Quote:
I loved the Lyr ,and all 35 pairs of tubes I used ,especially,with male, female vocals,&  with some operas.

The MJ ,gives me, a more detailed sound,not as warm as the Lyr IMHO--coupled with the Gungnir,will make it a bit smoother,though.
YMMV

Not near as warm at all. But still natural, smooth and detailed.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,407 of 3,541

I like the Lyr a lot, but the Mjolnir does a better job balancing the signature of the LCD2s. As others have mentioned, the Mjolnir resolves more detail in recordings. As a result, the timbre and harmonics of instruments, including the human voice, sound more natural. I find vocals are more compelling and intimate out of the Mjolnir. The Lyr has the great warmth and lushness, but it flattens out some of the details in recordings. The sound strikes me as somewhat stylized compared the Mjolnir. Not in a bad way at all, but not quite as natural as the Mjolnir. For me, the intimacy of the the vocals combined with the increased dynamics makes for an engaging listening experience.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,409 of 3,541
hi everyone,

Has anyone a Toxic cable on LCD2 or else to compare to stock cable on Mjolnir ? I should get both witin a month and can give my thoughts about it  
gs1000.gif

How many hours burn in minimum before release Mjolnir true sound ? About 200 ?

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,410 of 3,541
From Schitts description for the Mjolnir it states
"High Power for Any Headphones
High-gain amps can be noisy. This doesn’t matter for low-efficiency orthodynamics, but if you have, say, Denons, it may not be ideal. Mjolnir delivers both 8W RMS per channel, and exceptionally low noise."
I have Denon D7100's and was going to get the Mjolnir in the next week or two. Should I read this as the Mjolnir will do just as good with a high sensitivity headphone where most other high power amps won't or should I be looking elsewhere? I plan on getting some LCD-2 or 3's in the near future but I want to enjoy the Denons in the mean time.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,411 of 3,541
Quote:
From Schitts description for the Mjolnir it states
"High Power for Any Headphones
High-gain amps can be noisy. This doesn’t matter for low-efficiency orthodynamics, but if you have, say, Denons, it may not be ideal. Mjolnir delivers both 8W RMS per channel, and exceptionally low noise."
I have Denon D7100's and was going to get the Mjolnir in the next week or two. Should I read this as the Mjolnir will do just as good with a high sensitivity headphone where most other high power amps won't or should I be looking elsewhere? I plan on getting some LCD-2 or 3's in the near future but I want to enjoy the Denons in the mean time.

I believe most problems are with IEM's, with not having a gain switch and all.

To clarify, I thought the D7000's were a wonderful pairing. No issues with noise.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2,412 of 3,541
High gain certainly isn't fun but since it uses a pot, the only thing reducing your infinite options is your finger control :wink:  I used to have the Peak at 14x gain so the Mjolnir 8x wasn't an issue for me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2,413 of 3,541
Quote:
High gain certainly isn't fun but since it uses a pot, the only thing reducing your infinite options is your finger control :wink:  I used to have the Peak at 14x gain so the Mjolnir 8x wasn't an issue for me.

This is a time when i wish everyone would just use dB as their scale for gain. Rather just digits, or sometimes digits with an x after it. Because ive seen very little consistency in the gain values that are just a number. For instance, i dont really get where the 8 comes from, when its 18dB of gain with the mjolnir

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #2,414 of 3,541
Schiit lists it as 8x (18dB).  Use this calc to take it from not too meaningful dB back to voltage multiplier...

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,415 of 3,541
Got the mjolnir/gungnir stack on thursday. I feel the combo adds just an extra push of energy for the LCD's, they dont sound all that dark to me anymore. I don't want to go into too many specifics as I only have had a few hours to listen so far but first initial impression was energy, the sound feels more engaging to me out of both the LCD 2 and 3's, and more detailed from what I was getting  from the Lyr. I'm using optical out of my imac for the gungnir, I haven't tried to usb to see if there was an SQ difference, doubt there will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back