Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,218 of 3,541
Sep 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,219 of 3,541
Quote:
Comparatively to what?

To my Little Dot MKVI+ (with Tung Sol 5998 + ECC35) and a pionneer SX1980. I have to clarify that I am not sure about the source, except that is was some massive SACD player....
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,221 of 3,541
Note also that it was some brief impressions in meet conditions so take that with a large spoon of salt. The Mjolnir definitely impress but I am slightly concerned it could become tiring during long listening session and depending on the style of music played.

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,222 of 3,541
The bass on the Mjolnir is clean, tight, very dynamic with a lot of impact but IMHO not very good at revealing texture and nuance. I haven't listend to the BHA-1 alot but the bass sounded pretty similar to the Mjolnir.                                                                                                                                                                                 

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,225 of 3,541
Haven't noticed a problem, even with the HD800s. YMMV. It could very well depend upon DACs, i.e. I wouldn't pair the Mjolnir up with the Benchmark. The PWD2 w/ fw2.02 I'm running is on the warm side of most DACs. I doubt you'll have a problem with the AGD Ref 1 with the PCM1704s and all.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #1,226 of 3,541
Quote:
Haven't noticed a problem, even with the HD800s. YMMV. It could very well depend upon DACs, i.e. I wouldn't pair the Mjolnir up with the Benchmark. The PWD2 w/ fw2.02 I'm running is on the warm side of most DACs. I doubt you'll have a problem with the AGD Ref 1 with the PCM1704s and all.

Indeed... I'm debating between one of these and a phonitor/auditor. Tough call without hearing the latter. That PWD2 is a beautiful unit. I saw one at the meet (forget the guy's handle, but remember his name). Really loved the look and sound of it :)

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,227 of 3,541
Indeed... I'm debating between one of these and a phonitor/auditor. Tough call without hearing the latter. That PWD2 is a beautiful unit. I saw one at the meet (forget the guy's handle, but remember his name). Really loved the look and sound of it :)

Well the good thing about my Auditor is that I never get listening fatigue. Even after 5 hours straight. Supposedly they made it so you don't get fatigue. So that's one thing that is stopping me from getting the Mjolnir. The other is switch at the back which is hard to reach if you have the amp on the bottom shelf.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #1,228 of 3,541
Quote:
Well the good thing about my Auditor is that I never get listening fatigue. Even after 5 hours straight. Supposedly they made it so you don't get fatigue. So that's one thing that is stopping me from getting the Mjolnir. The other is switch at the back which is hard to reach if you have the amp on the bottom shelf.

It's one of the big drawbacks. The other being the whole hassle of recabling headphones to make them balanced, which isn't always a super fun ordeal. I'm keeping an eye open to snag an auditor/phonitor at some point. I'll try to do a comparison. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,229 of 3,541
Quote:
The bass on the Mjolnir is clean, tight, very dynamic with a lot of impact but IMHO not very good at revealing texture and nuance. I haven't listend to the BHA-1 alot but the bass sounded pretty similar to the Mjolnir.                                                                                                                                                                                 

I would say that the bass from the Mjolnir sounds like a subwoofer cuted with a 24db slope (faster and tighter) and the BHA-1 like a subwoofer cut-off of 18 db slope (rounder and fuller but still fast enough to follow my music genre - electronica).

Both amp sounds excellent in that department. Just slightly different.

I prefered the bass coming from the Bryston but could easily live with the one from the Mjolnir.

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,230 of 3,541
Quote:
Did you guys get a chance to listen the the LCD-2.2 on both the Mojo and the BHA-1?  What was the outcome?

Yes. Fantastic results. Both amps seems to have been created for the LCD-2r2 in mind (I know for a fact that this not the case with the Bryston).

The darker signature of the LCD-2r2 (in comparaison of HD-800, HE-6 and T1) is a superb synergy with the Mjolnir and Bryston and their more in your face sound.

I can't see anybody who can complain about the combinaison of the LCD-2r2 and any of these two amps.

LCD-2r2 owners, you can buy any of these amps without any concerns. You will be more than satisfied. I promise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back