Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,231 of 3,541
With nearly 150 hours of serious listening (as opposed to frivolous listening?) through LCD-3s with Norse Audio Norn cable and via Bifrost, I'm still entranced with this amp. That doesn't mean it's perfect.

When I first substituted it for the Lyr, some music sounded less full, especially in the mids. This has become so much less marked as to be no longer noticable. Either the amp has burned in, my ears have adjusted, or quite probably a bit of both. And while I can understand how some folks would find it strident, I don't think that's the amp. On a number of very familiar recordings I've noticed harshness in piano notes, glassy vocals or strings getting edgy. But by no means on all music; some, indeed most, recordings with sharp sounds are just exhilarating without being tooth-gritting.

The Mjolnir does not play nice. This is Thor's frigging hammer after all (or should that be Frigga?) [Of all the hammers I own, I've never thought of naming one. Hmmm, I dub thee Thumbcrusher the Malevolent. Maybe not...] This thing is as revealing as Biden's gaffes and as merciless as a judge at the Nuremburg trials. If there's any unpleasantness on the recording, the Mjolnir won't sugar coat things. Not sure whether it's Schiit's voicing decisions, a consequence of the circlotron design or just solid state as opposed to tubes; although my late and unlamented Violectric wasn't so brusque, at least not as I remember it.

What the Mjolnir does well, it does enthrallingly well. Tectonic bass, more detail than a forensic audit, low noise floor, jumps like a startled acrobat. Not that all the detail doesn't carry a small price - take Tori Amos doing "Yes, Anastasia" which is her at the piano with occasional orchestral interludes. Not only is every breath as if she's doing it right into your ear (not neccessarily a bad thing, granted) but there are noises like she's squirming around on the bench. I almost want to tell her to sit still. And while she certainly wasn't wearing hiking boots to work the pedals, that's what it sounds like. And though you would guess the orchestra was recorded seperately, the Mjolnir makes it almost distractingly obvious. Not that this is bad, really, just something to be aware of.

And if you're a cable skeptic, do not buy this amp. Especially don't buy it then borrow a few sets of high-zoot cables and power cords and do some careful listening. Just stay with your comfortable preconceptions. I just switched power conditioners and...you don't want to know. These things make no difference, right? OTOH, if I was doing studio mixing, this would be a must-hear as an analytical tool. If you seek a gemutlich listening experience, you may want to shop elsewhere. But if you prefer the roller coster to the carousel, the Mjolnir is the proverbial E ticket.

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,232 of 3,541
Well said 45LongColt! I love your writing style as well...(The Thumbcrusher line was great!)  
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,234 of 3,541
Very informative post 45longcolt.

That's interesting about the pedals. Pedaling certainly does resonate through a piano, especially a grand with its big sound-board. I would think Mjolnir is telling the truth.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,235 of 3,541
Does anyone prefer a tube amp over the Mjolnir in Jazz or classical? 
What I mean is when I was listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop, it sounds more natural with my LD MK6+ than the Mjolnir.
Again some Morricone classic sounds better to me with the MK6.  Anything with vocals the Schiit is better.  Weird. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,236 of 3,541
Quote:
Does anyone prefer a tube amp over the Mjolnir in Jazz or classical? 
What I mean is when I was listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop, it sounds more natural with my LD MK6+ than the Mjolnir.
Again some Morricone classic sounds better to me with the MK6.  Anything with vocals the Schiit is better.  Weird. 

Jazz at the pawnshop is incredible with the MK6. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,240 of 3,541
I think one of the reason why the MK6 sounds good for certain genre is the tube selection.  I got hold of a pair of Adzam ecc35 brown base and Bendix 6080wb and in the third day of listening I really liked the sound.  First two days it was bad.  Best way to describe it is just musical.  Not the best details or best bass or best highs, just get you into the music. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,241 of 3,541
Not sure,I am posting this in the right thread,or.??..anyway,here goes:

A few days ago,I got delivery of the mjolnir & He-6's
After many,many hours of testing,with certain typed of music,mostly classical,& some vocals...I'm finding that I have to crank up my volume levels to about 3 o'clock..these are older cd's that I downloaded as apple lossles files
On newer rock,jazz,blues cd's..that have been recently purchased ...the volume levels are around 11-12-1 o'clock.

Is it safe to assume,that the higher volume levels needed on the older cd's are  a result in poor recording qualities?
OR ,should I assume the Mjolnir,cannot properly drive the He-6.? ..and... a speaker amp ,might be needed??
Has any other head-fier experienced this ,with this particular  setup?

I should add,that I also have the Lcd-2's,and my usual volume level is around  ..9-11 o'clock
I know the lcd's are much easier to drive..

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,243 of 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it safe to assume,that the higher volume levels needed on the older cd's are  a result in poor recording qualities?
I would not assume that.

OR ,should I assume the Mjolnir,cannot properly drive the He-6.? ..and... a speaker amp ,might be needed??
This is more likely.

I have not, just an educated guess.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,244 of 3,541
Quote:

After many,many hours of testing,with certain typed of music,mostly classical,& some vocals...I'm finding that I have to crank up my volume levels to about 3 o'clock..these are older cd's that I downloaded as apple lossles files
On newer rock,jazz,blues cd's..that have been recently purchased ...the volume levels are around 11-12-1 o'clock.

I should add,that I also have the Lcd-2's,and my usual volume level is around  ..9-11 o'clock

Thanks,
Mike

The mjolnir can really power the HE-6 pretty well, but on older, or stuff that hasn't had the volume cranked on it (most modern music) it may fall a little short. I think I also found the volume stopping at 12 oclock when i heard it played with some modern stuff. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,245 of 3,541
Quote:

Thanks,
Mike

Hello loudness war. What you're most likely hearing is the fact that current music is compressed within an inch of its life to sound louder. I believe most people here would agree on the opposite, that less compression / more dynamics is actually better.

With that said it's certainly possible that a speaker amp might be better, but turning it up to 3 should still leave the amp with decent headroom, so definitely try before you buy if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back