Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Mar 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 3,541
guess ill have to get a balanced cable for my HD600!

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 3,541
Any chance the Mjolnir will be available in black? It would help a lot with the wife acceptance factor...

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 3,541

Quote:
Any chance the Mjolnir will be available in black? It would help a lot with the wife acceptance factor...

Vinyl Dye. It helps
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 3,541
What are the real advantages of balanced cables? Running more than 5 meter cables? Better noise floor and what else?

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 3,541
Much better diaphragm control and dampening.  Singled-ended connections use only one wire for the signal for each channel while using a common ground, so any music produced is caused from the signal being offset from the ground so there's a chance of crosstalk between channels (collapsing the staging), whereas balanced has two signal wires for each channel with no interference from the other channel.  Signal degradation based on conductor quality is much less with balanced, so those expensive silver cables people swear by in single-ended systems will make much less of a difference in a balanced.

While it's widely known that RFI/EMI rejection over long cable runs is vastly superior with balanced, and I'd argue it's in the actual headphone cord between the headphones and the amp where this is more critical: at home I regularly use a 20ft extension that may drape over electrically-malicious items so I can kick back in my comfy chair.  But that balanced cord is likely going to be thicker.

XLR connectors are more "professional", they are self-locking to avoid the accidental unplug, and with these connectors it's much much harder to cause a momentary short to the amplifier while plugging or unplugging, as well as much less chance of a loud pop.

Having a balanced system gives you a more confident step in your stride as well as improving your mojo with potential mates (though interestingly, usually not-so-much with current ones).

The new balanced Schiit gear looks impressive and formidable when lined up with the original line of gear.

Unless one of the above issues grips you, likely you will see no benefit ("better noise floor" is going to be more of a function of amplifier design and implementation rather than just the fact that it is SE/Balanced).

That's from the top of my head and completely unauthoritative, so your mileagle may vary.  However, I'll stand by my post as at least 3 of the above facts are true.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 3,541
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive answer! In analogue world balanced cable rule in studio environement because of the cable length imperative because not only of RFI rejection but also because of capacitance issue and high end frequency loss running long cables.
Anyway, I see the point, there is only advantages going symmetrical cables the only downside being the cost. You run a 6 meter cable extension in addition to you headphones?
In my opinion headphone cable are somewhat important. I disagree that line level cable are that crucial seeing all the voodoo around it, but on the other hand I am a strong believer that power speaker cable are crucial! In headphones world, the HP cable is the equivalent of the power speaker cable so it seems that is why we can hear difference (evolution can be forward but also backward) in HP cable design.

I am kind of puzzle though about the diaphragm control and dampening thought?

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 3,541
Well, looks like someone already started a thread for this. Enough circle jerking around regarding theories of balanced/SE or whatever! Time for some real information:

A few people have asked about the Schiit Mjolnir (a prototype which I heard at the Village meet.)  I know a few folks had expressed some apprehension because I didn't want to say much about it back then other than it needed to be tweaked or "voiced." Well today , I finally had a chance to hear the Mjolnir again. LOL, I had no idea Schitt was going to be at T.H.E SHOW in Newport Breach (Irvine). Jason said this is very close to the production version - it has the production boards.

To be honest, I really did not care for the Mjolnir at the Village meet. In Jason's words, they had just gotten the thing up and running. It sounded too bassy, lacked resolution, grainy, and otherwise just really wierd, even taking into consideration that their Gungnir DAC was a little soft sounding (had a chance to isolate the DAC and hear it on my STAX rig at the time.)

Well today, it was a completely different story. I had serious doubts myself; but I also know that tweaking a dozen things here and there can incrementally result in a huge change for the better. Now taking into account these were "meet" conditions (actually not bad - only two other people and only me listening in the room, and using the same tracks and vegan pad LCD2 as last time), the Mjolnir/Gungnir combination really kicks ass. And what I mean by kick-ass is that I would actually buy one for myself. I mean, it's cheap enough!

I played the Talking Heads track Television Man, and the music was so involving that I did not want to press stop to analyze and hear other tracks (LOL, I listened to the whole thing through.) To me, this "immediacy" aspect of music reproduction is clearly a sign of something good. The EC amps do this. The DNA Stratus does this. They draw you into the music and won't let you go.

BTW, the HE400 (not pictured) also kicks ass. Kudos to HiFiMan for making great stuff at non-BS prices. I hope they put Sennheiser out of business.

I will be bringing a modded HD800 and HP1000 to try tomorrow. The Mjolnir sounded neutral to me with the headphones, but I want to confirm with my own. Jason indicated that the modded HD800s sounded good out of it. So if anything that's a good sign.

Finally, I would urge everyone to petition Schiit to anodize the chassis in black!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 3,541
Quote:
I will be bringing a modded HD800 and HP1000 to try tomorrow. The Mjolnir sounded neutral to me with the headphones, but I want to confirm with my own. Jason indicated that the modded HD800s sounded good out of it. So if anything that's a good sign.

Finally, I would urge everyone to petition Schiit to anodize the chassis in black!

It seems interesting, i will be waiting for your impressions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back