Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #3,527 of 3,541
Any idea of the cause of a channel imbalance with the Mjo ? I have to push the knob to 3/4 of its course before the two channels matches 
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,528 of 3,541
I have the Gumby-Mjolnir 2 combo with the Focal Utopia. One word: unbelievable. I'm seriously in love with the combo. I should say thank you to everyone on this thread for their help choosing this amp when I got it a year and a half ago. My question is how do you know when the tubes are bowing out? Thanks

May 9, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #3,530 of 3,541
Anyone know the pin-out of the 4-pin headphone output of the Mjolnir 1? I've been told that standard is , but I've also been told that manufacturers don't always follow standard. Is this correct?
Pin 1: L+
Pin 2: L-
Pin 3: R+
Pin 4: R-

May 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #3,531 of 3,541
Anyone know the pin-out of the 4-pin headphone output of the Mjolnir 1? I've been told that standard is , but I've also been told that manufacturers don't always follow standard. Is this correct?
Pin 1: L+
Pin 2: L-
Pin 3: R+
Pin 4: R-
Yep.

JJ

May 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3,532 of 3,541

Thanks. I got the connector changed out on some new-to-me headphones. The difference between single-ended and balanced for these head phones is huge. Much better balanced.

May 11, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #3,533 of 3,541
I agree with balanced being 'better' as well, although there are some who think it makes little difference, while others hear no difference either way.
And as a general rule once we go balanced, it seems few return to an all SE setup.

JJ

May 11, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #3,534 of 3,541
I agree with balanced being 'better' as well, although there are some who think it makes little difference, while others hear no difference either way.
And as a general rule once we go balanced, it seems few return to an all SE setup.

JJ

I have to admit I've been ambivalent about balanced up until now. I purchased the Mjolnir because I'd heard that planars in general and HifiMAN in particular are hard to drive not because of the balanced circuit. However, the difference in sound when driving the Atticus single-ended vs. balanced was obvious and for me better.

May 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3,535 of 3,541
Revision B? Someone?

Which of my headphones (see sig) can be connected to the Mjolnir with an XLR adapter? None of them besides the LCD XC have more than two apparent wires going to the driver (did I just answer my own question?). There are third party 6xx and NightOwl adapters but there is only two connections going to the drivers, so isn't this simply shorting two wires from the Mjolnir (and the instructions say not to do this).

May 12, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,536 of 3,541
Most stock headphone cables use 4 wires (2 for left and 2 for right).
And depending upon what you mean by an "XLR adapter" it may or may not work.
As an example, plugging a stock cable with a TRS (standard 1/4" or smaller) SE connector, into an xlr adapter and then plug that into a Mjolnir will cause the protection circuits to trip.
This is because the TRS connector turns the 4 wires into 3 (common ground) which will trip the protection circuits.

IOW all 4 wires need to have separate connections to the balanced output from the amp.
This in turn means the stock TRS connector needs to be replaced with an XLR 4-pin connector ((or 2) 3-pin XLR connectors) and THEN converted to the TRS (SE connector) when you want to use them with a SE amp instead of the Mjolnir.

So in essence, the 4 wire to 3 wire conversion (at the stock TRS connector) can not be in the middle between the HP drivers, and the 4-pin XLR connector at the end of the cable.

There are threads that go into this in much more detail.

JJ

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,539 of 3,541
excuse me for not reading the entire 236 pages of this thread. But i used the search function and couldn't seem to find what i am looking for.

i think i might be in the market for a Mjolnir 2. i say "might" because long story short. after 5 years, my HD800s cable has started falling apart. the rubber above the splitter end started falling off. apparently this is an old Sennheiser problem that they never wanted to fix. (don't get me started). when i found out that the cable replacement is $218 before tax, i nearly fell off the chair. that got me thinking. the headphone came with an XLR balance cable which i never used. my setup consist of Schiit Bifrost (non uber non multibit) to Bottlehead Crack (non speedball). i thought that with the ridiculous amount of money that Sennheiser would love to bend you over with. this money could very well just go to an upgraded amp with balanced output, that way i can just ditch the single ended cable and use the balanced instead.

now. i can't seem to find anyone who have both experienced the Crack and the Mjolnir 2 to compare. it'll be great if that somebody also has the HD800s but i am not holding my breath.

thing is i like the warm and spacious feeling of Crack, and i just don't want and hope that Mjolnir isn't short on soundstage and hope it's not too cold and bright.

can someone shed some light on this? thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #3,540 of 3,541
This is the Mjolnir 1 thread. Mjolnir 2 tube hybrid thread is here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/778250/

There are many third party cable manufacturers that make cheaper and good replacement cables, plus if you post a wanted classified, I'm sure someone will be happy to sell you the stock cable for under $100. I got it from a member for $80 shipped years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back