Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 17, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #3,496 of 3,541
Yes at home he uses the Hugo as dac and the Mjolnir as amplifier.

I am unsure about the brightness... peoples perception and individual taste differs, so does music preference and recording quality.

To put it otherwise some people dont mind the extra sharpness in the treble some actually like it, some dont even hear it...

You have to listen to the combination first to make up your mind.

I dont find anything wrong with the Mojo/Hugo combination, although personally i use now a moded Soekris Dam R2R dac with my Mojo.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,497 of 3,541
Hi and sorry if this has been already asked.  I searched the forum and did not find an answer 
redface.gif

Can the Schiit Mjolnir drive an unbalanced HP (with an adapter maybe) without issues ? 
rolleyes.gif

and moreover ... is the hum really annoying ?
is there a way to tame it ?
Presently I am listening with a little but very nice Magni 2.
Thanks a lot indeed
gino

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,498 of 3,541
  Hi and sorry if this has been already asked.  I searched the forum and did not find an answer 
redface.gif

Can the Schiit Mjolnir drive an unbalanced HP (with an adapter maybe) without issues ? 
rolleyes.gif

and moreover ... is the hum really annoying ?
is there a way to tame it ?
Presently I am listening with a little but very nice Magni 2.
Thanks a lot indeed
gino

No it can't, and the answer is already in this discussion (it will cause the amp to go in safe mode and switch off).

What hum are you referring to? there is no hum.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,499 of 3,541
  No it can't, and the answer is already in this discussion (it will cause the amp to go in safe mode and switch off).

Hi and thanks a lot indeed.

Quote:
What hum are you referring to? there is no hum.  

I do not have the amp actually. I saw one on sale here where i live.
I found a review mentioning some hum.
It is a real pity that it cannot work with unbalanced HPs.  I like also the preamp option a lot.
Thanks again,  gino 

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,500 of 3,541
Hi Gino, it is easy to change your headphone cables to balanced if that is the problem, and you can use an xlr to stereo pin for your other single ended equipment.

The hum is mains oriented and some people had problematic mains as far as i can remember.

Mine doesn't hum at all and it is dead silent through the headphones

If you are interested in buying look at the sale price on schiit site they have some in stock at a very good price.

Cheers Gino 

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,501 of 3,541
Hi Gino, it is easy to change your headphone cables to balanced if that is the problem,

Hi Chris !  yes this is indeed the only real issue.   it is not very clear to me how to do this.
I am very worried about soldering new wires to the drivers terminals ... i could easily damage them with the heat from the solder iron ...
i understand it is a very delicate operation.  I love my akg k501 a lot indeed even if they are old.
I understand no adapter exists from HP balanced out to unbalanced out.  What a pity ...
redface.gif

Quote:
and you can use an xlr to stereo pin for your other single ended equipment.

this is not a problem ... i have only one source mainly. For now the source out is through unbalanced RCAs
But in perspective it will be balanced (out from a higher quality dacs ... i have three to try).
The problem is only the HP out really. 

The hum is mains oriented and some people had problematic mains as far as i can remember. Mine doesn't hum at all and it is dead silent through the headphones
If you are interested in buying look at the sale price on schiit site they have some in stock at a very good price.
Cheers Gino

thanks for the advice and the hint.  Problem is that i live in europe ... so shipping costs and customs can even double the price.
But i have found a unit here where i live in very good conditions
I see that it can work also has a line preamp ... great indeed !
I have now the Magni 2 and i am impressed.  I like the sound very much indeed with the k501.
Could you explain me a little more how to change the HP cable ? is there a tutorial somewhere describing this modification maybe ?
Thanks a lot again,  gino

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #3,502 of 3,541
Gino, the k501 is a hassle to make balanced, you need to go dual entry also.

In my opinion not worth it, and also you don't need mjolnir type of amplification for them, so maybe best to stay with Magni 2, or upgrade to an Asgard 2, no need for mjolnir if you don't plan to get some power hungry phones in the future.

beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #3,503 of 3,541
  Gino, the k501 is a hassle to make balanced, you need to go dual entry also.
In my opinion not worth it, and also you don't need mjolnir type of amplification for them,
so maybe best to stay with Magni 2, or upgrade to an Asgard 2,
no need for mjolnir if you don't plan to get some power hungry phones in the future.
beerchug.gif

Hi Chris ! thanks a lot again.
I saw the picture of the inside of the Mjolnir and it is just wonderful ... i love it !
But i also love my k501 for their sound so natural that hooks me up.
So i will follow your advice and i will ask in the Asgard 2 thread if there is a sensible difference with the Magni 2.
I am quite impressed by the Magni 2 ... but i am looking for something that could be definitive but still not very expensive.
Thanks a lot again,  gino 

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,505 of 3,541

No you don't.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/483861/guide-balanced-akg-k702-with-detachable-4-pin-mini-xlr-cable

k701smile.gif

Ok!!! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #3,507 of 3,541
I am not 100% sure but mjolnir doesn't have common ground on the two channels, like the schematic you posted,,, that's the reason it cannot be used with adapter of i'm not mistaken.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #3,508 of 3,541
I am not 100% sure but mjolnir doesn't have common ground on the two channels, like the schematic you posted,,, that's the reason it cannot be used with adapter of i'm not mistaken.

Thanks again Chris !
i stop here all my ramblings.  I do not have the needed skills to understand these schematics
redface.gif

Still i wonder if the balanced HPs/amps are really superior to the usual unbalanced ones.
rolleyes.gif

Kind regards,  gino

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #3,510 of 3,541
Depends on the amps being compared , cannot generalize. It the same as asking is an American superior to a British 
wink.gif

Hi and thanks for the advice.
I am trying to understand something.  I have found the right link i guess

http://www.head-fi.org/t/539458/why-balanced-headphone-amps

I will read carefully
Thanks again, gino

P.S.  i have read something ... i think i will abandon the idea and stick with unbalanced operations.
I guess that very good performance can be obtained the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back