Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Oct 24, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #3,511 of 3,541
  Hi and thanks for the advice.
I am trying to understand something.  I have found the right link i guess

http://www.head-fi.org/t/539458/why-balanced-headphone-amps

I will read carefully
Thanks again, gino

P.S.  i have read something ... i think i will abandon the idea and stick with unbalanced operations.
I guess that very good performance can be obtained the same.

Yes good performance can be obtained from a single ended amplifier design, but the mjolnir is the best amp in its price range (personal opinion based on my own limited experience), and the last units available are definitely more than worth their money 
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #3,512 of 3,541
Yes good performance can be obtained from a single ended amplifier design, but the mjolnir is the best amp in its price range (personal opinion based on my own limited experience), and the last units available are definitely more than worth their money 
beerchug.gif

Hi and thanks a lot again.
This amp is very interesting to me because it has also balanced line inputs and can work as a line preamp.  
wink.gif

But it would push me to buy a balanced HP, that are really expensive i guess  
frown.gif

Instead 200 USD can buy quite good unbalanced HPs. And to be honest i am already satisfied with my k701 and k501  
L3000.gif

I do not even know whoch is the entry price for good balanced HPs.
rolleyes.gif

Regards, gino
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #3,513 of 3,541

Hi and thanks a lot again.
This amp is very interesting to me because it has also balanced line inputs and can work as a line preamp.  
wink.gif

But it would push me to buy a balanced HP, that are really expensive i guess  
frown.gif

Instead 200 USD can buy quite good unbalanced HPs. And to be honest i am already satisfied with my k701 and k501  
L3000.gif

I do not even know whoch is the entry price for good balanced HPs.
rolleyes.gif

Regards, gino
biggrin.gif

Balanced headphones aren't terribly expensive. Basically if you have the connectors on the headphones into each cup, you're likely capable of balanced with just the right cable. I know the HD650 is balanced and can be bought for $300 used. The HD600 is less expensive and balanced. The HiFiMan HE400S is $300 new and also balanced with the right cable. Even your AKG K701 can be modified to be balanced.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #3,514 of 3,541
  Balanced headphones aren't terribly expensive. Basically if you have the connectors on the headphones into each cup, you're likely capable of balanced with just the right cable.
I know the HD650 is balanced and can be bought for $300 used. The HD600 is less expensive and balanced.
The HiFiMan HE400S is $300 new and also balanced with the right cable. 

Hi and thanks a lot for the kind and valuable advice
If i understand well it is important that there are connectors separated for each earspeaker ? 
However i do not understand how the ground from the amp is connected at the headphone end. 

Even your AKG K701 can be modified to be balanced.

I am sure that if i try to mod an headphone i would damage it with the heat from the soldering iron ... this is what stopped me in another project (re-wiring of an HP)
Thanks again,  gino  

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #3,515 of 3,541
Definitely do not try the AKG modification on your own! Yikes 
eek.gif

I agree with you on the complexity of it. I've read that the stock cable on the HD600 can be changed to balanced with a simple solder and cheap balanced connector (less than $10). Yet I would not try the changes myself. There's a guy who organizes our local headphone meets, and says he'll solder it together for he cost of a Potbelly sandwich 
tongue.gif

I bought my balanced cables for $99 before I knew anyone on Head-Fi...

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #3,516 of 3,541
Definitely do not try the AKG modification on your own! Yikes 
eek.gif

I agree with you on the complexity of it. I've read that the stock cable on the HD600 can be changed to balanced with a simple solder and cheap balanced connector (less than $10). Yet I would not try the changes myself.
There's a guy who organizes our local headphone meets, and says he'll solder it together for he cost of a Potbelly sandwich 
tongue.gif

I bought my balanced cables for $99 before I knew anyone on Head-Fi...

Hi and thanks again for the valuable advice.
I think i will stay unbalanced in the end.   And may be i will try some better amp.  
I like my Schiit Magni 2 a lot indeed but you know ... but is it not too small and cheap to be very good ???  
rolleyes.gif

we say that the appetite comes eating  
wink.gif

I wonder how much better for instance an Asgard would be compared to the Magni ... but this is treated in other threads that i am already studying
Regards,  gino  

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #3,517 of 3,541
Hi Gino,

everything is a chain, and all links in the chain are valuable, but the weakest dictates the final effect.

We are talking about amplifiers, but you haven't mentioned your front end.

I use a Soekris DAM R2R Dac (among others), up to the latest spec (as described in the diyaudio forums), this is a good dac and it brings out the finest detail of  the recordings. I also use Sennheiser HD800 (also among others).

If you don't have a high quality source and headphones you will not necessarily benefit from a high power amplifier or balanced configurations.

There are many ways to build a nice headphone system and this has been discussed millions of times.

For me i believe in having a balance in the entire chain.

Your headphones are nice but not top end. I don't know your source. Maybe as i said before you needn't upgrade anything unless you want to maintain this balance i am talking about, (meaning upgrading your entire chain). 

Many people have spent a lot of money in the wrong direction, although the solution was simple and cheap(er).

If you are happy my friend keep your system as is, if not, tell us what you don't like and we might steer you in the right direction.

beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #3,518 of 3,541
Hi Chris !
thanks a lot again for the very kind and helpful advice.
you are right about the source of course but the idea is to get a playback system (amp+HPs) that is not the weak element in the chain, able to exalt even a low quality source (to extract the best from it).
Anyway i think that in the end i just need a little more warm in the sound and little more transparency in the midrange.
Maybe an hybrid amp could be the solution but i also like very silent amps (usually amps with tubes have more noise).
I think that i will look for a pair of hd600 anyway ... balanced operations or not ... and i think this could be the final HPs for my needs.
Thanks a lot again,  gino

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,519 of 3,541
Any word on how this compares to the Mjolnir 2? Right now Schiit is selling the original for $500 which could be a steal if the two aren't far apart in quality. Just got a Gumby and looking to possibly take advantage of the balanced out IF it's worth getting a cheap balanced amp (and buying new cables :p)

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,520 of 3,541
Rocking a black Mjolnir @work, attached to my HE-6s. Yes, the decal is removable. :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #3,521 of 3,541
  Any word on how this compares to the Mjolnir 2? Right now Schiit is selling the original for $500 which could be a steal if the two aren't far apart in quality. Just got a Gumby and looking to possibly take advantage of the balanced out IF it's worth getting a cheap balanced amp (and buying new cables :p)

If you haven't made a decision yet, keep your eye out for used ones too. Plenty of people are selling theirs second hand for less than $500.

The Mjo2 is a little softer in the treble and not as harsh sounding, slightly smoother. There are some comparisons floating around. It's been awhile since I compared them side by side. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #3,522 of 3,541
I have both, the S1 is now at work (part of my all-black Schiit stack, which has been a PITA to find, let me tell ya) and the S2 here at home, and the 1st Mjolnir sounds nearly identical to the 2nd w/ LISST "tubes", if perhaps just a touch less edgy. With stock tubes the Mj2 is noticeably warmer and more mid-forward. For $400, what I paid for my black S1, they're a screaming, insane deal.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #3,523 of 3,541
Ok. Just got my Ether C dialed into my brand new MJ2 and GMB2.  I like it so far. This is my first high end trip.

I got the Ethers a few weeks ago, and I have only had 50-75 hours of break-in on them. They were just plugged into my PC, and I didn't want to push them in case of clipping, which I heard a couple times watching a movie with heavy bass scenes, and then in a couple pieces of music. So I kept them dialed down. I regard this as my real burn-in start. I don't know if that's the right way to think about it. But I have well over 100 hours to hit Mr. Speakers' recommended 200 anyway.

Is there any break-in to the MJ2? Or is it just a case of it warming up? I don't have the tubes in yet. I just want to get used to it straight for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back