Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jan 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #3,016 of 3,541
Can you run it to a different outlet in the same room?

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,017 of 3,541

I have a pair of HD800s with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack but after a could hundred hours of listening I've discovered that I'm not a big fan of the pairing. It's a bit too bright for my liking and absolutely butchers poorly recorded music. I'm looking to replace them with either the HE-6, LCD-2, or LCD-3 but am not sure in which direction I'm going to go yet. Also, if anyone has heard dubstep on any of the mentioned cans I would love to hear your opinion on it since that is the genre that I found the HD800 most lackluster in.

I have this setup, immediately ordered some LCD-2's to compare to the HD-800's.

The HD-800's were sold the next day.

I don't know what dupstep is but I listen to everything from Jack Johnson, to Stan Getz to Led Zeppelin and everything sounds great on this setup

Should've sold the Gungnir instead. In that system it lacks finesse and is too dynamically compressed (always too loud). Energetic but tiring and the MJ does nothing to soften it. Good synergy for the docile LCD-2, with its smeared smoothness and fat bottom, but grating for the intense HD800 microscope.

A dac with better dynamic range, more rounded leading edge and better micro detail resolution will expose the Mjolnir as a good match for the HD800. You get excellent attack with an extended but taut low end. Where it lacks is depth of soundstage, which is evident when compared to the tube goodness of the Vali.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,018 of 3,541

I have a pair of HD800s with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack but after a could hundred hours of listening I've discovered that I'm not a big fan of the pairing. It's a bit too bright for my liking and absolutely butchers poorly recorded music. I'm looking to replace them with either the HE-6, LCD-2, or LCD-3 but am not sure in which direction I'm going to go yet. Also, if anyone has heard dubstep on any of the mentioned cans I would love to hear your opinion on it since that is the genre that I found the HD800 most lackluster in.

I have this setup, immediately ordered some LCD-2's to compare to the HD-800's.

The HD-800's were sold the next day.

I don't know what dupstep is but I listen to everything from Jack Johnson, to Stan Getz to Led Zeppelin and everything sounds great on this setup

Should've sold the Gungnir instead. In that system it lacks finesse and is too dynamically compressed (always too loud). Energetic but tiring and the MJ does nothing to soften it. Good synergy for the docile LCD-2, with its smeared smoothness and fat bottom, but grating for the intense HD800 microscope.

A dac with better dynamic range, more rounded leading edge and better micro detail resolution will expose the Mjolnir as a good match for the HD800. You get excellent attack with an extended but taut low end. Where it lacks is depth of soundstage, which is evident when compared to the tube goodness of the Vali.

Wow!!! I own LCD 2's and have a Mjolnir on order. I'm currently using a Wadia 121 and I don't understand at all what you mean by "smeared smoothness" or "fat bottom". Are you attributing that to the Gungnir or is that your general assessment of the LCD 2's? Can you be a bit more specific about what those assessments mean?

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,019 of 3,541

My Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 sounded even worse with HD-800's & the Mjolnir......

Just spent another evening LOVING the Mjolnir/Gungnir LCD-2 combo......

Loves this combo 10x my Woo WA22/ W4S DAC-1 / HD800 setup. :)

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,020 of 3,541
Wow!!! I own LCD 2's and have a Mjolnir on order. I'm currently using a Wadia 121 and I don't understand at all what you mean by "smeared smoothness" or "fat bottom". Are you attributing that to the Gungnir or is that your general assessment of the LCD 2's? Can you be a bit more specific about what those assessments mean?

some people , and i was one when i first got my lcd2, sometimes felt that the bass was loose, and the overall character can be described as warm, lush, as opposed to resolute, clear, resolved.
that's why the mjolnir pairs well with the lcd2 as opposed to say the lyr, which is plenty powerful enough , but its tube sound adds to the warmth, whereas the mjo can lean to the bright side of neutral , and firms the lcd's sound up, IMO

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #3,021 of 3,541
IMO, the LCD-2 has a more homogenous signature than the HD800, characterised by smoothness, ever present bottom end (at times overbearing), and congested soundstage. At the quieter levels I listen at, the LCD-2's dynamic swings were also compressed - I had to turn the volume up to wake it up. Fun in short bursts but I would never expose my ears to such treatment for extended sessions.

The HD800 is characterised as thin, bass deficient and analytical but to my ears it has the ability to shed those descriptors not only when tapped into the right chain, but also from recording to recording. The LCD-2 imposes its signature on everything and is the more coloured headphone, IMO/IME/YMMV/WTFBBQROFLAOCOPTER etc.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #3,022 of 3,541
Yes, I too find that the LCD does open up with increased volume, and it can have a strong character

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #3,023 of 3,541

some people , and i was one when i first got my lcd2, sometimes felt that the bass was loose, and the overall character can be described as warm, lush, as opposed to resolute, clear, resolved.
that's why the mjolnir pairs well with the lcd2 as opposed to say the lyr, which is plenty powerful enough , but its tube sound adds to the warmth, whereas the mjo can lean to the bright side of neutral , and firms the lcd's sound up, IMO
IMO, the LCD-2 has a more homogenous signature than the HD800, characterised by smoothness, ever present bottom end (at times overbearing), and congested soundstage. At the quieter levels I listen at, the LCD-2's dynamic swings were also compressed - I had to turn the volume up to wake it up. Fun in short bursts but I would never expose my ears to such treatment for extended sessions.

The HD800 is characterised as thin, bass deficient and analytical but to my ears it has the ability to shed those descriptors not only when tapped into the right chain, but also from recording to recording. The LCD-2 imposes its signature on everything and is the more coloured headphone, IMO/IME/YMMV/WTFBBQROFLAOCOPTER etc.

Thanks for the additional comments. I'm actually pretty new to "good" headphones. I have Seninheiser 600's and the LCD 2's and am very happy with these. I rely heavily on comments/reviews from these forums because I can't try these things out in person so I want to be as sure as I can before moving forward with additional purchase. I agree that additional volume seems to wake up the LCD 2's but I'm also very happy with them at quieter levels. Jaywillin's comments in another thread helped push me towards the mjolnir and I'm excited to give it a try. I'll post back here after I've had a chance to evaluate the mjolnir/LCD combo thoroughly.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #3,024 of 3,541
Thanks for the additional comments. I'm actually pretty new to "good" headphones. I have Seninheiser 600's and the LCD 2's and am very happy with these. I rely heavily on comments/reviews from these forums because I can't try these things out in person so I want to be as sure as I can before moving forward with additional purchase. I agree that additional volume seems to wake up the LCD 2's but I'm also very happy with them at quieter levels. Jaywillin's comments in another thread helped push me towards the mjolnir and I'm excited to give it a try. I'll post back here after I've had a chance to evaluate the mjolnir/LCD combo thoroughly.

if you are already happy with the lcd2, the mjo makes it better i believe

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #3,025 of 3,541
  I had a major buzz too, it turned out to be a cheap light dimmer switch which was introducing noise into the lines in my house.  I isolated it by turning off all the lights one at a time until it went away.  You may want to try turning things off one at a time to see if it's something in your house causing the buzz

Unfortunately, I tried everything, including turn off every device and power in my appartment.
I guess it's something outside my home which causes this horrible noise.

I still haven't find any solution to this.

Next step is to record the noise during one entire day, and see the length and the moment of the issue.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,026 of 3,541
I live in an apartment built in the late 40's and most of my outlets are 2 prong and the two 3 prongs I have probably aren't grounded. Anyways, I get intermitent noise like static crackles. I also get a slightly audible mechanical transformer hum sometimes. Just comes and goes whenever it wants.

I've tried turning everything off, unplugging things, moving it to other rooms, different power cords and RCAs and different sources.

Never heard the noises at another house.

It's annoying but it gives me a reason to roll in another amp (the DNA Sonett) which doesn't have any noise, ever.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,027 of 3,541

if you are already happy with the lcd2, the mjo makes it better i believe

So...I decided to go whole hog and added the gungnir to my order:). We'll see how it goes...

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #3,028 of 3,541
So...I decided to go whole hog and added the gungnir to my order:). We'll see how it goes...

I'll be very interested in how you like it, I almost went with it over the wadia 121

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3,029 of 3,541
Might have been discussed already, but I wanted to know if anyone has compared these to the gs-x. That's my reference SS balanced amp, and I know it very well. I know what it can do and what it doesn't do well...I've been looking around for another balanced amp since selling my gs-x awhile back.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #3,030 of 3,541
I'm considering buying the mjolnir and pair it with either LCD 2 / 3 (haven't decided yet). As of now I have a musicstreamer II 2011, will that one do until I have enough dough to get the gungir? How does the mjolnir work with a normal dac using the RCA's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back