Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Jan 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,001 of 3,541
I agree, the modi will do fine. You'll still be 'wowed' because of the wonderful pairing of lcd2 and mjolnir. Later down the road, you can opt for an even better dac than the gungnir. Good luck, seems like you've got a foundation for a killer rig.

Thanks, that's reassuring to know.  Tbh, I don't think I can tell the difference between a gungnir and decent dac, but then again I thought I couldn't tell the difference between freebie ear buds and dt880, and again the dt880 to lcd2.  It's like training your ears to drain your wallet.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #3,002 of 3,541
I agree, the modi will do fine. You'll still be 'wowed' because of the wonderful pairing of lcd2 and mjolnir. Later down the road, you can opt for an even better dac than the gungnir. Good luck, seems like you've got a foundation for a killer rig.

Thanks, that's reassuring to know.  Tbh, I don't think I can tell the difference between a gungnir and decent dac, but then again I thought I couldn't tell the difference between freebie ear buds and dt880, and again the dt880 to lcd2.  It's like training your ears to drain your wallet.
Well from headphones to headphones, the sound differences are clearly more noticeable. But with dacs, you might have a more difficult time unless you jump into gear that is scaled higher.

Use the modi until you save up for a much higher end dac. The LCD2 with Mjolnir is a foundation for a really great sound rig.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,003 of 3,541
I have a pair of HD800s with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack but after a could hundred hours of listening I've discovered that I'm not a big fan of the pairing. It's a bit too bright for my liking and absolutely butchers poorly recorded music. I'm looking to replace them with either the HE-6, LCD-2, or LCD-3 but am not sure in which direction I'm going to go yet. Also, if anyone has heard dubstep on any of the mentioned cans I would love to hear your opinion on it since that is the genre that I found the HD800 most lackluster in.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,004 of 3,541
  I have a pair of HD800s with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack but after a could hundred hours of listening I've discovered that I'm not a big fan of the pairing. It's a bit too bright for my liking and absolutely butchers poorly recorded music. I'm looking to replace them with either the HE-6, LCD-2, or LCD-3 but am not sure in which direction I'm going to go yet. Also, if anyone has heard dubstep on any of the mentioned cans I would love to hear your opinion on it since that is the genre that I found the HD800 most lackluster in.

Consider the TH-900 for dubstep.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #3,005 of 3,541
I think the Mjolnir has too much gain for the TH-900. It's pretty easy to hear noise on your power lines with this combo. The Fostex's are great with EDM though. I like the Lyr with them actually, even with stock tubes. Just tried that out at the Seattle meet.

Without swapping a lot of gear I think any of the LCD's will work great with the Mjolnir and that setup. I have the LCD-3's with mine. Nearly all my music is EDM.

hth

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,006 of 3,541
well, today my balanced cable arrived for my lcd2, very, very pleased with the sound the mjo and the lcd2 are producing

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,007 of 3,541
I think the Mjolnir has too much gain for the TH-900. It's pretty easy to hear noise on your power lines with this combo. The Fostex's are great with EDM though. I like the Lyr with them actually, even with stock tubes. Just tried that out at the Seattle meet.

Without swapping a lot of gear I think any of the LCD's will work great with the Mjolnir and that setup. I have the LCD-3's with mine. Nearly all my music is EDM.

hth

I've read quite a few negative reviews for the TH-900 when used in tandem with the Mjolnir so I don't think that they're a viable option for me. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the LCD-3/Mjolnir combo. In your experience are they as bass heavy with EDM as people make them out to be? I don't have anywhere to audition them locally so my decision is going to be based mainly on word of mouth.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #3,008 of 3,541

hth

I've read quite a few negative reviews for the TH-900 when used in tandem with the Mjolnir so I don't think that they're a viable option for me. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the LCD-3/Mjolnir combo. In your experience are they as bass heavy with EDM as people make them out to be? I don't have anywhere to audition them locally so my decision is going to be based mainly on word of mouth.

The pairing offers all the bass that every bass-head could ever want, yes--its a grand-slam with EDM! I even felt that the bass was a bit too much for my preference, EDM thumped so hard that Id forget to breathe (not joking btw)

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #3,009 of 3,541
Yep, great bass on the LCD-3/Mjolnir. That combo goes very deep and is very flat. The TH-900 has great bass and mid-bass. Plenty of sub-bass it's just a little more fun. I like the Fostex better but your sub-bass heads prefer the LCD by a mile. It's a Ferrari vs Lamborghini argument really. You'll love either for that genre.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,010 of 3,541
Hey Guys,

I have a buzzing issue with my Mjolnir.
I followed the advice found on this topic, to connect the Mjolnir without the ground.

It worked.

But unfortunately, not really.
If the dac, the player, or the processor is also connected with a ground, the buzz is coming back.

Careful, I don't talk about a small buzz, but a very big one.

I don't know what to do.

Your help would be really appreciated
normal_smile .gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #3,011 of 3,541
I had a major buzz too, it turned out to be a cheap light dimmer switch which was introducing noise into the lines in my house.  I isolated it by turning off all the lights one at a time until it went away.  You may want to try turning things off one at a time to see if it's something in your house causing the buzz

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3,013 of 3,541
  anyone know if a v.2 of the mjolnir might have a SE preamp or loop...or even a SE headphone output? sort of like what the asgard 2 did...

While I don't have any insider information, I can almost guarantee that Mjolnir will always be only balanced due to its topology (effectively they'd have to add most/all of a second amp to do SE).

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,014 of 3,541
I asked Jason sometime back about launching Ygg and Rag at the same time he said "And with respect to launching them at the same time, this is part of an ongoing experiment. We won't be producing many Statement products, so I'm not too worried about launching them at the same time. Then we can find out how important, say, single-ended output is, and how many people will be running speakers, etc."

So I take it as there may be some v.2 of Mjolnir that may accommodate extra features. And possibly include changes to the tube version of Ragnarok.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,015 of 3,541

I have this setup, immediately ordered some LCD-2's to compare to the HD-800's.

The HD-800's were sold the next day.

I don't know what dupstep is but I listen to everything from Jack Johnson, to Stan Getz to Led Zeppelin and everything sounds great on this setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back