Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #2,656 of 2,788
Well..., I just placed my order for my Atrium LTD 2024 /w Canare wood and a 3rd pair of pads to pad roll. Now the waiting game begins. Looking forward to hooking them up to my Mjolnir 3.
I’m almost certain they’ll pair very well, I’m also very jealous lol and with that being said, i hope the wait feels like forever lol

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #2,657 of 2,788
If the HEKse isn’t a bright headphone then what would one consider bright? The DT1990 was bright and harsh IMO. The HEK is definitely better all around but it’s definitely a bright headphone.
It wasn’t terrible while listening but afterwards it caused me discomfort. And you can totally hear the extension in the upper FR and it’s brighter. And this was off a tube amp as well.
Don’t have this issue with the Hd800S, Susvara, Utopia, etc.
If you can’t hear above 14k then not many headphones will be considered bright. Unless there’s a peak somewhere under 14k that’s giving you an issue. But that’s not always bright but more peaks that cause the problem.
the couple Beyers i've tried were a bit much

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,658 of 2,788
Well..., I just placed my order for my Atrium LTD 2024 /w Canare wood and a 3rd pair of pads to pad roll. Now the waiting game begins. Looking forward to hooking them up to my Mjolnir 3.
Noice.

I’m almost certain they’ll pair very well, I’m also very jealous lol and with that being said, i hope the wait feels like forever lol
L<OLOL

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #2,660 of 2,788
If it's not a relay that's clicking then it's probably just the heat causing expansion. Kind of like the house creaking when the weather changes. I'm gonna assume MJ3 gets a bit hotter than the THX so that's probably why you notice it. I was never much of a fan of THX amps. They're a great starting point, and it's where I started myself, but I hope you get to enjoy MJ3 for a long while.
They have been getting better tho, my dad recently bought a Fiio Q15 and it sounds pretty great, specially on desktop mode and pretty hard to beat for the price.

My second serious desktop amp was a Fiio K7 and it sounded great but they synergy with my LCD2C's was terrible unfortunately, also SMSL it's getting better with its own amps, the only one that seems to be lagging behind is topping.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #2,661 of 2,788
Good choice…You will enjoy it
Btw, open or closed ?

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #2,662 of 2,788
Thx to the DT880s I know that I'm very sensitive to 8khz lol!!!
Those BBeyer DT880s were the first headphone I ever bought many years ago. I was listening to them on a new to me Schiit Gungnir dac and Mjolnir 1 amp. Which were quite energetic to say the least. The DT880 assaulted my ears in the higher frequencies so much that I got rid of them almost immediately. I hated those things, then got my first Audeze, the LCD2 (obviously pre-fazor). So I can definitely understand when someone says they are spikey treble sensitive. That is the reason I was exclusively using the Audeze planars from that time until fairly recently, because the sound signature just sounded so rich and bassy. Speaking of which, I was concerned that the new M3 amp and MiB dac might be too hot in the treble but fortunately that is decidedly NOT the case at all. Everything in the entire dynamic range presents so beautifully the only problem I have now is "one more song", I just cannot seem to stop listening and it is costing me a lot of sleep. I guess that is a good problem to have!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #2,663 of 2,788
Tasty treat: Be Svendsen Andromeda. Crank it right up, the depth and air just really are something else. Details in layers, sound stage is killer. Woohoo!

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #2,666 of 2,788
Anyone use focal clear OG with this amp ?

ZMF Homage or the Violectric V222 would synergize better with the Clear OG

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #2,667 of 2,788
Sounds like you had your mind set on the Atrium before you asked the questions here. :) Congrats, good decision!

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #2,668 of 2,788
Sounds like you had your mind set on the Atrium before you asked the questions here. :) Congrats, good decision!
Thanks. It was also about deciding which one to get first. I will eventually have to put up a shelf above my desk to easily switch out headphones depending on which one I feel like using that day. That will also free up space on my desk for when I eventually get a yggdrasil. One piece of gear at a time though, lol.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #2,670 of 2,788
Just received news from Schiit-EU that my unit will be shipped in first week of May.
Add a week or two to get settled.. I promise you, it's worth the wait..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back