Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #2,686 of 2,797
A good suggestion but even a LIM is €2,800 in Europe. A MIB is over €3,000

Audial S5b is 2350€, with shipping and customs it should be around 2600.
According to a guy on SBAF, who bought an S5 before the "b" upgrades, it bests the Yggi LiM:

"Hi Taguro,

Unfortunately I've never heard the Holo May, so I can't say how the Audial S5 may differ. I've been listening to the S5 via speakers, so if you are listening mainly to headphones, let me know and I'll take some time to listen via my headphone rig. Most of the gear in my system I've built myself (other peoples designs), so listing the other components probably won't be meaningful.

In addition to the S5, I've owned a few other filterless NOS DACs over the years - Wavelength Cosecant, MHDT Havana, and a DIY AudioSector DAC. Up until this point, the AudioSector has been my favorite NOS DAC. The other filtterless NOS DACs I've had sound very good on certain types of music, but tended to roll off the frequency extremes, and sound closed in and jumbled up when music became complex. I don't get the sense that the S5 is rolling off anything at the frequency extremes, and it unravels complex music extremely well. It has the really good dynamic shadings of a filterless NOS DAC, but sounds more extended in frequency than those other's that I've had in my system.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I own the Yggdrasil. I have the A1, A2 and LIM boards. Of the three, my preferences point definitively to the LIM boards. I am only mentioning this so others who have heard both sets of boards will know where my preferences are; compared to the A2 boards I find the the LIM more coherent through the frequency range, and I find the treble in particular more natural and less fatiguing. So even though the LIM sounds a little less exciting than the A2, I find it more listenable long term. Those who prefer the A2 over the Less is More boards may also prefer the A2 to the S5.

The S5 output is 0.7 dB louder than the LIM, and my preamp volume steps are 0.5 dB so I can't exactly match volume, but the following traits were consistent whether each DAC was a little softer or louder than the other.

The S5 is extremely close in tonal balance to the Yggdrasil LIM. On good recordings, compared to the LIM, the S5 sounded a little more revealing of small dynamic changes, a hair more three dimensional in width and depth, and a little less congested when music becomes complex. This last aspect is somewhat surprising to me, because I expected the Yggdrasil to do better in this regarding. I also expected the Yggdrasil to feel like it digs deeper into the bass, but I think the S5 has the edge here. Both DACs are very similar sounding, but the S5 sounds a little bit more resolved which leads to a very slightly richer sound with better spatial cues. Small dynamic shades come through a little better on the S5.

The two DACs are close enough in sound that I have to be pretty relaxed and my room has to be very quiet for the differences to be apparent, but I do think music sounds a bit more beautiful, or sweeter, via the S5, and a teensy bit more exciting. If I didn't have them right next to each other to compare, I probably wouldn't be able to note the differences between them, and I generally think the Yggdrasil LIM sounds quite a bit different than most of the other DACs I've purchased over the years (and never got around to selling).

So, If you've ever had the chance to compare the Yggdrasil LIM and the Yggdrasil A2, and you like the A2 better, then I wouldn't recommend the S5. In fact, if you own the Yggdrasil A2, and you haven't heard the LIM boards, it would be a lot less expensive to buy the boards if you don't mind taking the DAC apart to do the swap. I do think the S5 sounds a little better than the Yggdrasil LIM, and even more so than the Yggdrasil A2 (my preferences only), but the LIM sounds very good, and I don't think the S5 sounds better to the point that it justifies the cost of an entirely new DAC over the LIM. That said, I am still happy that I purchased it, and if I were to sell one of them it would be the Yggdrasil. At this point I will probably swap the A2 boards back into the Yggdrasil, because it doesn't make sense to have two DACs that sound so similar.

I hope this makes some sense to you and helps a bit."

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #2,687 of 2,797
Some conclusions to MJ3 matching a bit higher impedance headphones. It was already mentioned by some here and in the reviews that Focal Utopia + MJ3 is not ideal combo, and there are better out there. Still it has sounded not bad at all. Anyway I have tried the MJ3 as preamp for my OTL tube amp (single ended) from curiousity. As this tube headamp is almost perfect match with the Utopia besides it's warm noise, it has its qualities and eliminates the non matching to Utopia's like a mixture of precise and warm sounding now. The chain: Lumin U1X -> MScaler -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> (xlr) MJ3 -> (SE) True Hifi tube headamp -> Focal Utopia/ Stelia

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #2,688 of 2,797
....The chain: Lumin U1X -> MScaler -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> (xlr) MJ3 -> (SE) True Hifi tube headamp -> Focal Utopia/ Stelia
Someone on the main Schiit thread (you know, the noisy one) said that the MJ3 is one of the better preamps he's heard.

So, maybe get another pure-amp/speaker-amp for a difficult to drive headphone and the MJ3 as pre. Assuming space and funds are available for such extravagance....

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #2,689 of 2,797
Someone on the main Schiit thread (you know, the noisy one) said that the MJ3 is one of the better preamps he's heard.

So, maybe get another pure-amp/speaker-amp for a difficult to drive headphone and the MJ3 as pre. Assuming space and funds are available for such extravagance....
I have a pair of Gjallarhorns hooked up to mine, but I am currently rearranging and cable managing my setup. So I have not tried it out yet.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #2,690 of 2,797
Oooffff, unfortunate, an amp that's not a good pairing for my Focal Clear OGs it's an automatic no no, have to keep looking then.
I too love my Clear OG's. Tremendous!!! But I would recommend that you not base buy/no-buy descions on a single data point. Perhaps you've seen/heard other opinions but if not, I suggest that you wait and see what others may say before closing the book on this amp.

Leo

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #2,691 of 2,797
I remember receiving my MJ3 and being happy with with everything but the bass, it was just lacking in my opinion. I don’t consider myself a bass head but i can really appreciate some rumble. Within about 2 maybe 3 weeks it all changed, not just bass, but everything got better. 2 months later I’m still truly amazed. Yesterday’s listening session was just as special as any.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #2,692 of 2,797
Well my MJ3 has a definite hum to it. I wonder if this warrants an email to Schiit?

I listen to it last night with the LCD-5 and it was the best thing I've ever heard.
And this is a brand new amp no burn in or anything.

Any opinions on burn in?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #2,693 of 2,797
Well my MJ3 has a definite hum to it. I wonder if this warrants an email to Schiit?

I listen to it last night with the LCD-5 and it was the best thing I've ever heard.
And this is a brand new amp no burn in or anything.

Any opinions on burn in?
Some hum IMO is normal. Schiit says the amp can even vibrate due to the big transformers and chokes.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #2,694 of 2,797
Deleted

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,695 of 2,797
If anyone is looking for a fairly inexpensive cooling solution, I found the AIRCOM S6 sits over the vent nicely and hides under the shelf. Exhausts to the rear and has an auto setting to turn on at 88F and shuts off at 84F. $50 and has two 120mm fans.
IMG_1502.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #2,696 of 2,797
Oh I should probably mention that my DAC is an Yggdrasil A2.
The pairing is sublime.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #2,697 of 2,797
Some first impressions after about 24 hours burn-in:

- Truly special and good sounding SS amp. There is some sweet liquidity in the sound which is rare in SS amps. This aspect reminded me to my first encounter witht he Meze Empyrean in 2018.
- Quite energetic and clear sound but with rounded edges, so it is not aggressive. Soundstage is good but not huge, but I do not actually mind it as the space has very good depth layering and imaging. It is easy to visualise instruments in their place.
- Bass is not overblown, but strong with good impact. Mids are clear and vocals surprisingly sweet and lifelike for a SS amp. Treble initially was a little dry, and slightly too forward, but this seems to be taming down with burn-in.
- Overall, a clean, clear, dynamic, impactful but at the same time smooth and fun sound. Acoustic instrument tone and timbre is good, but my NOS tubed HA-3A is more fluid, richer and more natural when it comes to string instruments. Tubes also give vocals more magic. MJ3 on the other hand offers better technicalities with more detail, better dynamics and a lot clearer, more defined and more impactful bass. As expected, I prefer MJ3 bass but HA-3A treble. These two amps are very different and offer different strengths, a different listening experience.

- Warm up time is real with the MJ3. It takes at least an hour but more like 2-3 hours to get the hottest, but sound is best when the amp is fully warmed up. For now, I keep it on a separate, 4-inch-tall (10cm) stand where breathability is good. This way even the hottest temperatures do not seem like anything to worry about, no fan needed for me.
- Dislike that is the switch on toggle is located on the back.
- With my ZMF Caldera I prefer low gain, no feedback. Also, usually SE versus push-pull. The differences are actually smaller than I expected, but they are there. My Cyan 2 DAC puts out 5V, which is a little higher than the 4V average for XLR out. Perhaps this is partly why I prefer low gain with the Caldera. High gain is just a little too harsh. Feedback takes away a little from dynamics in a subtle but non-favourable way at least to me. I initially liked the subtle liveliness push-pull brought to the picture, but after a while it gets a little too much in the treble. Treble is already quite lively, so I prefer to leave it in SE mode.

Overall, I am happy so far: great bass, dynamic but sweet and clear, detailed sound. A fun and engaging listen with good technicalities. The relatively smaller soundstage is nicely compensated with great spatial imaging, so I am happy on that front as well. If there is one thing, I would improve that would be a tiny bit more relaxed and more natural treble, but that will probably improve with further burn in and I am used to tube amps these days which have liquid treble.

So, I like the MJ3, but let's see where things lead and evolve. :)

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #2,698 of 2,797
Some first impressions after about 24 hours burn-in:

- Truly special and good sounding SS amp. There is some sweet liquidity in the sound which is rare in SS amps. This aspect reminded me to my first encounter witht he Meze Empyrean in 2018.
- Quite energetic and clear sound but with rounded edges, so it is not aggressive. Soundstage is good but not huge, but I do not actually mind it as the space has very good depth layering and imaging. It is easy to visualise instruments in their place.
- Bass is not overblown, but strong with good impact. Mids are clear and vocals surprisingly sweet and lifelike for a SS amp. Treble initially was a little dry, and slightly too forward, but this seems to be taming down with burn-in.
- Overall, a clean, clear, dynamic, impactful but at the same time smooth and fun sound. Acoustic instrument tone and timbre is good, but my NOS tubed HA-3A is more fluid, richer and more natural when it comes to string instruments. Tubes also give vocals more magic. MJ3 on the other hand offers better technicalities with more detail, better dynamics and a lot clearer, more defined and more impactful bass. As expected, I prefer MJ3 bass but HA-3A treble. These two amps are very different and offer different strengths, a different listening experience.

- Warm up time is real with the MJ3. It takes at least an hour but more like 2-3 hours to get the hottest, but sound is best when the amp is fully warmed up. For now, I keep it on a separate, 4-inch-tall (10cm) stand where breathability is good. This way even the hottest temperatures do not seem like anything to worry about, no fan needed for me.
- Dislike that is the switch on toggle is located on the back.
- With my ZMF Caldera I prefer low gain, no feedback. Also, usually SE versus push-pull. The differences are actually smaller than I expected, but they are there. My Cyan 2 DAC puts out 5V, which is a little higher than the 4V average for XLR out. Perhaps this is partly why I prefer low gain with the Caldera. High gain is just a little too harsh. Feedback takes away a little from dynamics in a subtle but non-favourable way at least to me. I initially liked the subtle liveliness push-pull brought to the picture, but after a while it gets a little too much in the treble. Treble is already quite lively, so I prefer to leave it in SE mode.

Overall, I am happy so far: great bass, dynamic but sweet and clear, detailed sound. A fun and engaging listen with good technicalities. The relatively smaller soundstage is nicely compensated with great spatial imaging, so I am happy on that front as well. If there is one thing, I would improve that would be a tiny bit more relaxed and more natural treble, but that will probably improve with further burn in and I am used to tube amps these days which have liquid treble.

So, I like the MJ3, but let's see where things lead and evolve. :)
Good write up!

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #2,699 of 2,797
Good write up!
Thanks! I would also like to add that it is crazy how much the DAC is reflected through the MJ3. I can see why some people with lesser DACs are not that thrilled by the MJ3. The higher-end DAC is connected to the MJ3 the higher-end sound is produced. This amp scales really well in terms of DAC pairing.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #2,700 of 2,797
Thanks! I would also like to add that it is crazy how much the DAC is reflected through the MJ3. I can see why some people with lesser DACs are not that thrilled by the MJ3. The higher-end DAC is connected to the MJ3 the higher-end sound is produced. This amp scales really well in terms of DAC pairing.
The MJ3 is still on my short list to pair with Yggy A2. You are making a good case for me to pull the trigger. You had some great gear come through your home and I wonder if the MJ3 has some staying power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back