Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #1,921 of 2,725
The deeper I go into this hobby (and wow, am I deep lol), the more I realize that by-in-large you get what you pay for. Much more often than not, gear costs what it costs because that's where it's cost of parts, design, and performance, plus the realities of the market context, land it.
Cost, design and performance matter for the price of the manufacturer.

A bit part of the Schiit proposition is that they sell direct - for a consumer you buy at their manufacturer price + shipping. There would be a small increment for their return policy and support as well.

But for most of the other brands being discussed, there's an a much larger (100% or so) markup for distribution. That pays for shop rent, employees, owner profits etc

So it shouldn't be surprising if Schiit direct products end up comparable to products that cost 2x as much from a distributor / local store.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #1,922 of 2,725
Another thing that came from this review quite clearly is that specifically for HE1000SE, the obviously better pick is Violectric V281, as a next level step up. But V281 is about 10 years old or so and today I can get some last pieces from dealer with 20% discount for 1500 Eur, which is exactly the same as Mj3 in silver :D. So it’s not a 2500+ range item, it’s the same price today.

That would suggest I shall cancel my order for MJ3 and run for V281.. but I don’t know, probably not. Still, without possibility to stressless test both for few days, it’s impossible to know for sure. But then V281 is even not a class A. I’m confused.
It is confusing because of the huge variance in reviews.

From giant killer / equal to ~3k amp ( Burson Soloist GT ) to trading blows with a Burson Soloist 3xp around the same price range.

Although everyone has stated it is at least awesome for its price, which is a good sign.

Could be a difference in DAC pairing or just subjective listening......who knows.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #1,923 of 2,725
Very satisfied with my MJ3 purchase, it will not be leaving my rack for a while.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #1,924 of 2,725
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #1,925 of 2,725
I for one really appreciated Wave Theory's review. Was about to plan out for Susvara since I really love MJ3 with HE1000SE but I am not quite ready for swapping both headphone and amp yet. I will be quite happy with what I have and when it comes time for Sus, I will look at package upgrade I suppose :)

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #1,926 of 2,725
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #1,927 of 2,725
I for one really appreciated Wave Theory's review. Was about to plan out for Susvara since I really love MJ3 with HE1000SE but I am not quite ready for swapping both headphone and amp yet. I will be quite happy with what I have and when it comes time for Sus, I will look at package upgrade I suppose :)
Currawong said the Sus works fine with the MJ3 and I’m sure he’s right.
I sold my Sus before picking up the MJ3 but may get one again to compare the Tungsten.
You might be able to get a bit more from the Sus with a speaker amp but I bet it’ll still be really enjoyable off the MJ3.
The Tungsten works as long as you have a DAC with a good amount of voltage. I had to adjust mine to 6v vs the 2v I normally use with the DNA Stellaris. With 6v into the xlr input of the MJ3, I’m around 12-2 o’clock on the vol. So if it can push the Tungsten with the right DAC, you’ll be ok with the Sus.

I guess I need to film myself and put it on the YouTubes. It’s like the News, people just watch it and blindly follow 😅

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #1,928 of 2,725
We'd watch, Rhodey, ya surly ole fella.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #1,929 of 2,725
As much as I like his other reviews, I had a problem with his MJ3 review. But looking at his sources, they didn’t look like they would synergize with the MJ3 at all. I have the Bifrost as well so I know. MJ3 needs a very good DAC to shine. My Yggy gs2 is just perfect for it.

I am using the Sus right now on MJ3 and it’s amazing. I can hear all the details at very low volume. My HEK stealth can’t even come close. Either way, I will find out in 2 months as the Tungsten should be deliver by then and the Flux Mentor I ordered will come by then as well.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #1,930 of 2,725
I think Wave Theory made a good point about the upper-mid forwardness. I felt it only appeared with some headphones switching into push-pull mode. Lately, I've felt switching into push-pull mode seems to push the upper-mids a bit further forward with some headphones, but I wasn't sure entirely, as an increase in loudness can give that effect. Unfortunately, the published measurements don't include a crosstalk-vs-frequency measurement, which might reveal what is going on (if anything).

The real test for me is comparing the TT2's direct headphone output with that of the MJ3, as if there are any changes in frequency, I'd notice that. I might have to do that again to see what I notice.

One main point from Wave Theory's review is: He was comparing with different amplifiers to what I was. This has now got me interesting in reviewing the Violectric models.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #1,931 of 2,725
One main point from Wave Theory's review is: He was comparing with different amplifiers to what I was. This has now got me interesting in reviewing the Violectric models.
I'm in the same boat. Had I heard the same amps in comparison, I believe I'd come to the same conclusion he did. I just don't have as much gear on hand. I will say that at a recent meet I went to (we were there for around 5hrs) my station was only open maybe 30mins for me to demo new stuff on. So, based on that experience, the MJ3 and Yggy A2 is a combination that really grabs peoples attention.

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #1,933 of 2,725
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,934 of 2,725
As an aside: If you want a brand new V281 limited edition, they should be out this month.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vio...mited-reissue-edition-up-for-preorder.705318/

I put my MJ3 decision on hold until I hear how this LE performs. I have one pre-ordered.
That’s a class AB amp so it can fit a smaller size and run less hot. I believe it’s 2W at 32ohm and goes up to about 4W at 50ohms. It’s a different tech than MJ3’s old school class A only tech. Will they have that at CanJam for people to compare?

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #1,935 of 2,725
That’s a class AB amp so it can fit a smaller size and run less hot. I believe it’s 2W at 32ohm and goes up to about 4W at 50ohms. It’s a different tech than MJ3’s old school class A only tech. Will they have that at CanJam for people to compare?
I only mentioned it because the review that everyone is going on about mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back