Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #1,936 of 2,873
I put my MJ3 decision on hold until I hear how this LE performs. I have one pre-ordered.
But then this is really a different price level amp entirely, not in the same bucket to pick up for me. Whereas the old V281 here in Europe for the same money as MJ3 is another topic.

I can give the vio a test if still available, but what it will solve if I can't compare it directly with MJ3. If I want to do this I still have to buy MJ3 first and hope the V281 will be still available at that time to test and compare. And then eventually sell it (with a loss, which would make V281 more expensive).

It would be a wonderland to have this luxury to just go and hear and test whatever planning to purchase, but sadly don't have that luxury at all. That's why blind shopping happens.

Still, I don't quite get how 10 years old class AB HA can be significantly better than MJ3 class A. Nothing against old stuff, my power amp is Usher R1.5 (also class A btw.) which is old like hell but still great. But I don't see anything so special on V281 in comparison to MJ3, so why it would be a league ahead. Again, considering the price is the same now for both models.

In the end, Schiit is guilty for this situation :), if they would ship them more promptly, I would just be a happy customer listening to music and not giving a shiit about other amps :).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #1,937 of 2,873
I only mentioned it because the review that everyone is going on about mentioned it.
Well yea, I noticed that as well. A well done class AB is expensive, but save desk space and fear of burning your hands.

I would love it if there was an all class A amp comparison though.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #1,938 of 2,873
But then this is really a different price level amp entirely, not in the same bucket to pick up for me. Whereas the old V281 here in Europe for the same money as MJ3 is another topic.

I can give the vio a test if still available, but what it will solve if I can't compare it directly with MJ3. If I want to do this I still have to buy MJ3 first and hope the V281 will be still available at that time to test and compare. And then eventually sell it (with a loss, which would make V281 more expensive).

It would be a wonderland to have this luxury to just go and hear and test whatever planning to purchase, but sadly don't have that luxury at all. That's why blind shopping happens.

Still, I don't quite get how 10 years old class AB HA can be significantly better than MJ3 class A. Nothing against old stuff, my power amp is Usher R1.5 (also class A btw.) which is old like hell but still great. But I don't see anything so special on V281 in comparison to MJ3, so why it would be a league ahead. Again, considering the price is the same now for both models.

In the end, Schiit is guilty for this situation :), if they would ship them more promptly, I would just be a happy customer listening to music and not giving a shiit about other amps :).
I only know of my Jot2 (AB) amp vs MJ3 (A) amp, but the Jot2 is much more forgiving when it comes to sources. I never thought the Bifrost was holding back my amps at all until I got the Yggy GS2. On the BiFrost the MJ3 was so sluggish and bland but the Jot2 was doing OK. On the Yggy, both amps really shined, Jot2 was really energetic and fast while MJ3 is very resolving and smooth (musical) in its bass and mids.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #1,939 of 2,873

i do find it humorous that you Europeans want Schiit but it's priced up and we are over here in the US ordering Ukrainian amps and getting hit with high shipping and paypal fees lol.

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #1,940 of 2,873
i do find it humorous that you Europeans want Schiit but it's priced up and we are over here in the US ordering Ukrainian amps and getting hit with high shipping and paypal fees lol.
It's not that much about EU wanting Schiit.. just if you are looking for class A HA within 1500 Eur price range it so happens MJ3 is on the list, and hardly anything competes with it (seems like).

With Mentor it's the same for EU as well as US, even the shipping I doubt it will be anything significantly higher than 100 Eur, and I live like within 500km range from Lux. Besides that, Mentor is presented as strictly neutral HA, while MJ3 should be even if a bit more colored (or warmer), which seems to be a better fit for HE1000SE at least, especially if not so much power is needed in this case. But Flux is up to some new model soon (like in a month or two), something similar to Mentor but exactly warmer sounding, but no further details are revealed as of now I think.

But good luck putting under the same roof and within the same time MJ3, V281 and Flux with the possibility to return any 2 of them without money loss.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #1,941 of 2,873
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #1,942 of 2,873
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #1,943 of 2,873
Open your mind above and beyond retail and there's a world full of wonders, custom tailored to you and your preferences.

Look here for instance https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...etic-headphone.493214/page-1456#post-17968289
That appears ( from exterior design) to be a modified speaker amp meant for hard-to-drive cans so likely a Class D amp then? I saw somewhere price starts at 1,700 euro?

I would love to know what protection methods he puts in it in case someone uses IEMs or more sensitive headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #1,944 of 2,873
These are all Class A.

Some of them definitely are made for the hardest to drive, some do a middle to hard approach etc., depending on the model.

prices are a matter of component choices. You can easily go crazy if you think you need full silver wiring, silver speaker outs etc, silver rca.

The beauty of all this is is that you have a choice and a more reasonable approach is smarter than bruteforcing through your wallet for something that in the end doesn't make much of a difference.

Then there's the final tuning making such an amp even more unique.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #1,945 of 2,873
These are all Class A.

Some of them definitely are made for the hardest to drive, some do a middle to hard approach etc., depending on the model.

prices are a matter of component choices. You can easily go crazy if you think you need full silver wiring, silver speaker outs etc, silver rca.

The beauty of all this is is that you have a choice and a more reasonable approach is smarter than bruteforcing through your wallet for something that in the end doesn't make much of a difference.

Then there's the final tuning making such an amp even more unique.
Where did you get this info? And are there impressions on these amps? Anyways his amps should have a separate thread as it’s considered off topic here.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,946 of 2,873
I have the Jot 2 and Susvara. How come everything he said about the MJ3 comparing to Jot 2 is opposite of what I hear? Jot 2 is analytical but dry with Susvara and Susvara has strong bass punch and very sweet mids on MJ3. There was no mid bump I hear. Resolution was amazing. I worry that his upstream chain doesn’t synergize with the MJ3 or he got himself a defective amp.

Oh, I just looked at his DACs, no wonder. You can’t be using mid-fi DACs for a summit-fi level amp. Anyways, to each his own opinion I guess.
MJ3 summit-fi or Susvara summit-fi???

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #1,947 of 2,873
It is confusing because of the huge variance in reviews.
Could be a difference in DAC pairing or just subjective listening......who knows.
Personal preference, too. Reviewers are human and have their preferences just like anyone else.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #1,948 of 2,873
Mar 3, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #1,949 of 2,873
I will keep this comparison short and brief. Since I do not think it is realistic and fair to have detailed comparison with amps from vastly different tier/price range.
Not going to argue with a review, but I do want to say I think it's absolutely fair to compare the MJ3 to $2500 amps. I've owned two and for me the MJ3 is better.

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #1,950 of 2,873
Regarding new footers for the MJ3, from pictures/videos it appears the small stock feet are not attached with screws. My MJ3 might arrive in April and I already bought new footers, link attached. Question for those who are using new taller footers, how have you attached them if there are no threaded holes on the bottom of the amp?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081KVKCZ9?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back