Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #1,052 of 2,977
I’ve tested for several days. It has a great scene and soundstage, but actually mid and side seem to be separated and my headphone eq profile is barely audible. Crazy! Every record sounds the same basically!
Is it because the amp is an AB class and not a pure class A like the MJ3?

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #1,053 of 2,977
Is it because the amp is an AB class and not a pure class A like the MJ3?
The amp is a class A circuit. There’S no AB. I’ve had a talk with the guys at Aune, explaining the working mode of the S17 pro: the 50 mA and 100 mA mode have nothing to deal with the kind of circuit.
So, I don’t know what’s the reasonnof that warm and tube-ish sound, but I know they tune their products by ear by their taste, so I assume that was their intention: to have an harmonic rich sounding amp.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #1,054 of 2,977
I have to share something real quick ..

I am currently exploring "Closer Than They Appear" which is Sara K.'s first album.

First song ended and my brain was like "EY WHY AINT NOONE CLAPPING?" I was about to clap myself to start it off .. then reality catched up.

I already stated how natural this amp sounds but thats just an example I had to share.

Edi.: I know this is a bit of "typical audiophile music" but its beautifull and god it sounds so good .. dosent sound like there was any mastering done and MJ3 rewards that.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #1,055 of 2,977
Question(s) for the group. I've had my Mjolnir-3 now for about 6 weeks. I love how it has elevated my system, better mids, greater separation of instruments, more snap in the bass, etc. I could go on and on about the MJ3's sound. I'm writing though because I'm really not hearing any difference whatsoever when flicking the Mode (single-ended Class A v. push pull Class A) or the Feedback switch. I've concentrated, flipped the switches (individually) and can't hear any difference at all. I'm wondering if it's my 66 yr old ears, my music choice (40-50 year old live concerts), or whatever.

My audio chain is the Chord Qutest into the MJ3 and Meze Elites headphones into the XLR plug of the MJ3. My phone cable is the Meze Elite Silver. And of course my aging ears.

Thoughts? Any recording recommendations where you believe the flip of the switches is obvious?

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,056 of 2,977
Question(s) for the group. I've had my Mjolnir-3 now for about 6 weeks. I love how it has elevated my system, better mids, greater separation of instruments, more snap in the bass, etc. I could go on and on about the MJ3's sound. I'm writing though because I'm really not hearing any difference whatsoever when flicking the Mode (single-ended Class A v. push pull Class A) or the Feedback switch. I've concentrated, flipped the switches (individually) and can't hear any difference at all. I'm wondering if it's my 66 yr old ears, my music choice (40-50 year old live concerts), or whatever.

My audio chain is the Chord Qutest into the MJ3 and Meze Elites headphones into the XLR plug of the MJ3. My phone cable is the Meze Elite Silver. And of course my aging ears.

Thoughts? Any recording recommendations where you believe the flip of the switches is obvious?
I have a similar setup to you, the same amp and headphones, but I have a Yggdrasil A2 for my DAC. I found myself preferring push-pull mode with my Elite, though it's hard to say what the difference is. If anything, it seems like push-pull is a bit more engaging and impactful in the bass. It could all be in my head, but after many extended listening sessions, I've decided I prefer push-pull to SE with these headphones.

On my dynamics (Atrium Closed and OG Auteur), I stick with SE mode. That being said, I really don't notice much of a difference when the amp is in push-pull mode. In my mind, SE makes more sense for these headphones, but I guarantee I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you blindfolded me.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,057 of 2,977

Probably aging ears. The difference is subtle, though, so it's not surprising.

I found that Push-Pull makes the sound a little bit more V-shaped, which I notice more in the treble personally. But yeah, it's subtle. It can be enough to make certain headphones come 'alive' like the DCA E3 or Hifiman Susvara.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #1,058 of 2,977
Had the Freya+ connected for tube gain into the Mjolnir 10-12 days. Have removed Freya+ and listening to Mjolnir strait from RCA input phono stage. Enjoy the tube gain boost from the Freya+, does shorten up the Mjolnir volume control, and pre-emps the use of Mjolnir high gain. I enjoy the Mjolnir alone just as much, and find some recordings wanting the extra body of 'high gain', and yet the volume control has a broader range over 'low' or 'high' gain, than with the addition of Freya+. Either way is an interesting experience in Analog playback, so much variation available in recordings. bought this record 20 years ago and first listen...and wow

IMG_2650.jpeg

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #1,059 of 2,977
Had the Freya+ connected for tube gain into the Mjolnir 10-12 days. Have removed Freya+ and listening to Mjolnir strait from RCA input phono stage. Enjoy the tube gain boost from the Freya+, does shorten up the Mjolnir volume control, and pre-emps the use of Mjolnir high gain. I enjoy the Mjolnir alone just as much, and find some recordings wanting the extra body of 'high gain', and yet the volume control has a broader range over 'low' or 'high' gain, than with the addition of Freya+. Either way is an interesting experience in Analog playback, so much variation available in recordings. bought this record 20 years ago and first listen...and wow

IMG_2650.jpeg
thats very cool I was curious to try something like this myself (I also have a freya+ and MJ3) but am not sure what volume and levels to set each one at. I might try it and experiment.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #1,060 of 2,977
thats very cool I was curious to try something like this myself (I also have a freya+ and MJ3) but am not sure what volume and levels to set each one at. I might try it and experiment.
i had the volume on Freya+ fully rotated to open, and slowly opened MJ3 volume at first, and when comfortable, opened it up as needed for phones or speaker amp

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #1,061 of 2,977
Day 44 of the hostage situation, please Schiit send me my MJ3

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #1,062 of 2,977
I am in the process of upgrading my solid state amp..I narrowed it down to three amps and then two..The MJ3 being one of them and the Violectric V222 being the other..I was leaning towards the MJ3..I have always enjoyed the Schiit house sound tbh, but then the V222 got added on Drop for $949 approximately $350 off the normal price..Do any of you guys have experience with both of them? I am wondering if the V222 is a better value now with the discount on Drop..My everyday headphones are my ZMF Atrium...I appreciate any input that you guys have.
I have MJ3 as a loaner, I own V222 here is my thoughts:

Build is excellent on both, MJ3 feels a bit more sturdy because of weight.

MJ3: Has more detail, background is darker. Highs have a bit more energy and sound excellent. Imaging and separation seems to be a bit better. Bass is tight and controlled, midrange is a bit leaner.

V222: Bigger soundstage, smoother, fuller midrange, slightly more forward. Bass hits mellow and hard. Grandeur sound. The tonality is a bit coloured, to my liking.

Used Meze Elite and DCA Stealth.
I am a Vio fan just to clarify.

For rock, violins and drums as your main I would recommend MJ3
For EDM, orchestra and jazz, go for V222

I cant find any fault from neither...I just prefer the V222 sound, which is closer to tubes.
I am listening to MJ3 and my unit is at the owner of this one.
When we switch back I'll listen some more and if something comes to mind ill update this post.

The guy who has my V222 said that he thinks the same as I did, and said that V222 has a romantic sound to it.
Would love to hear a comparison between V550 and MJ3. I expect the V550 sound a lot like MJ3.

So back with V222: What I said above still holds. MJ3 appears more focused to me, smaller but clearer stage with nicely handled highs. The bass is tighter but not snappy, which is a good thing. It get's warm, but not an issue for me. Takes some time to warm up. In midrange I would hope slight forwardness, but it's a preference thing.
Great amp, this time hype is real.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #1,063 of 2,977

Makes basicaly no difference for me neither. With push pull its less smooth but also not realy more dynamic as some people say .. I think single ended is just superior although it may be psychological.

WIth feedback on it sounds a bit lik3 everything is more recessed without anything beeing quieter. Makes no sence I know but thats what my brain told me ..

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #1,064 of 2,977
Makes basicaly no difference for me neither. With push pull its less smooth but also not realy more dynamic as some people say .. I think single ended is just superior although it may be psychological.

WIth feedback on it sounds a bit lik3 everything is more recessed with anything beeing quieter. Makes no sence I know but thats what my brain told me ..
My impressions mirror this 100% but the change is minor.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #1,065 of 2,977

The difference is very small. Something that might not immediately and obviously stand out. I haven't messed with the switches very much since the first few days. I found what impressed me the most and just went with it. I believe I preferred single ended. Try doing a longer session and not just A/B them. I found a combo of longer listening and A/B sessions crucial to evaluating gear. Often the sum of a whole experience is a greater tool than just evaluating 2 seconds of sound.

Sometimes differences manifest themselves best in certain patterns you might not expect. I've noticed when comparing dacs sometimes you might not hear a huge difference with a certain sound effect but there are certain sounds where the difference is night and day. Huge changes where it's not a subtle guessing game. I remember right away going from modi to yggdrasil I knew the yggdrasil sounded more expansive and detailed but there was more to it that I didn't fully pick up on until I had listened for about an hour. I found segments of sound where I A/B tested them and the sound of the modi was nothing like the yggdrasil and I was shocked how big of a change it presented.

You will be able to find big changes between them if you seek them out and try to A/B certain things but mostly it's juet an overall impression. I'm sure listening with the right headphone at the right time you'd hear a difference with a specific sound. Drums being more impacrful for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back