Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 27, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #2,975 of 3,100
I used a tube amplifier.
Before Mjolnir I had other SS amps, but I never heard any sibilance.
Not sure what is your source and cabling (and other auxiliary equipment), but we have very similar setup with Pontus2, Hernes DDC, and MJ3 and I don't hear any sibilance unless its a terrible recording. Perhaps there is something not in synergy with the rest of your chain. Assuming you have burned in the MJ3 with about 150 hours, I suggest some cable changes.

May 27, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,976 of 3,100
Not sure what is your source and cabling (and other auxiliary equipment), but we have very similar setup with Pontus2, Hernes DDC, and MJ3 and I don't hear any sibilance unless its a terrible recording. Perhaps there is something not in synergy with the rest of your chain. Assuming you have burned in the MJ3 with about 150 hours, I suggest some cable changes.
Thank you for the suggestion.
In the meantime I replaced the USB cable from PC to DDC.

May 27, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,977 of 3,100
It’s not the same thing but fwiw, I did not enjoy the Mjolnir pairing with the Empyrean. Eventually I sold the Empy because the FR was just not what I was looking for.

May 27, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #2,978 of 3,100
I might consider this as they make very quiet fans. Would anyone else consider this a good solution to cool their Mjolnir 3?
Try this: Quiet Fan
They have different sizes. These fans can double as your spacer between gears. They have rubber feet that absorbs vibrations and hold the gears apart so you stack your DAC/Amps. This will cool both of them at the same time.

May 27, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #2,980 of 3,100
May 27, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #2,981 of 3,100
Using the 80mm which fits the right 2 heat vents on the MJ3.
I am looking at the 140mm version, granted that it would be slightly offset due to its size. It pushes the same amount of air at 900rpms as the 80mm does at 2,000 rpms so it would run quieter (I realize the airflow won't be fully directed into the vents). Some of the air would be hitting the housing, but that would still contribute to the cooling all be it less efficiently.
As a side note, I have built and advised on a lot of PC builds over the years so weighing the pros vs cons of air cooling configurations is not new to me. lol

May 27, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #2,982 of 3,100
I am looking at the 140mm version, granted that it would be slightly offset due to its size. It pushes the same amount of air at 900rpms as the 80mm does at 2,000 rpms so it would run quieter (I realize the airflow won't be fully directed into the vents). Some of the air would be hitting the housing, but that would still contribute to the cooling all be it less efficiently.
As a side note, I have built and advised on a lot of PC builds over the years so weighing the pros vs cons of air cooling configurations is not new to me. lol
Just FYI, It is usb powered. My power strip has usb outlets so it works well.

May 27, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #2,983 of 3,100
Just FYI, It is usb powered. My power strip has usb outlets so it works well.
Yeah I saw, I will most likely need a USB extender. I have plenty of power bricks including the one I am using for the USB powered desk fan I have blowing over my Mjolnir 3 right now. :wink:
PXL_20240527_184757629.jpg

May 28, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #2,984 of 3,100
I used a tube amplifier.
Before Mjolnir I had other SS amps, but I never heard any sibilance.
Depending on the tube amp and tubes, it could be that your ear is tuned for a tube sound. I’ve been listening almost exclusively to tube amps for years, so it will be interesting to see what I think about the MJ3 (arriving today).

I’m a little sensitive to sibilance so I bought a Yggy LIM to give the treble a little tempering just in case, though to my ears it sounds about the same as my Bifrost 2 on my tube amps.

May 28, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #2,985 of 3,100
So the MJ3 has arrived. Here’s what I think after 3 hours of listening. Not enough time to plumb the depths, but enough for a first impression. Long story short, it sounds like a top notch solid state amp and produces heat like a top notch tube amp.

Speaking of heat, it’s a non issue for me. After running for about 3 hours, I’d say the casing is maybe 80-85 and the right heat sinks are around120. One of many benefits of living in a cold climate :)
IMG_0667.jpeg

Plenty energetic amp. It had no problem driving any of my headphones with authority in single ended mode. My DCA OG AEON flow closed is an astonishingly good match. For those who don’t know this headphone, it has a prominent flaw (IMHO): it sounds compressed- Except on the MJ3 where it positively pops. It’s still not a slamming headphone; too flat a bass curve for that, but if neutral with excellent non sibilant treble is your taste it’s awesome with the MJ3. With the exception of the DCA, I found myself turning the volume down from typical with my tube amps because otherwise the dynamics were fatiguing. Thankfully, there’s so much clarity and detail you lose nothing by turning it down.

My tube amps aren’t at home right now but going by memory, I guess it’s not surprising this amp sounds comparatively dry with maybe a touch of treble edge. I’ll have to listen more to be sure about the edge and it might go away with more break-in time. That said, it is very smooth compared to the GSX-Mini which to my ears definitely has an edge. It is super fast. Some of the guitar / drum jams on Tool’s Fear Inoculum album are positively savage on this amp.

It doesn’t create a soundscape like a good tube amp, but that’s to be expected. Image placement is solid, but without the wetness you get with a tube amp it sounds flatter. My Verite Closed works well since it adds depth and color and creates a very nice soundscape on its own. The LCD-X not so much unless you like your music served dry.

The MJ3 is highly resolving to my ears with superb micro detail and micro dynamics. Heavily layered tracks sound bottomless and my brain feels like the limiting factor when trying to hear everything in the recording. Way more resolution than either of my tube amps. This amp does not color or thicken the sound as far as I can tell, but that’s compared to tube amps so I’m not that sensitive.

As always, IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back