Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,021 of 3,100
The rag2 does consume up to 500W electricity while Mjolnir 3 only up to 50W according to the spec sheets?

So your fan is blowing the air out of your Mjolnir? Did you place the fan inside the chassis?
The MJ3 consumes 50W at all time, while the Rag2 will fluctuate depending on the load. It's quite possible it will end up consuming less than MJ3 on average (depending on its idle power consumption).

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,025 of 3,100
Too hot in the kitchen… an ultra quiet fan serves the Schiit MJ3 well. Running cool to the touch… I've left MJ running for days at a time.
— RS
Mine gets too hot if I do that so I'm looking for....
I have a 12V computer case fan sitting on top of the heatsink opening (pointing up), running at 5V (USB). Almost entirely noiseless at that speed on a Noctua 120mm.
Would such a fan fit behind the MJ3? I would have to run power to it I suppose...

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,026 of 3,100
A few days ago I tried my turntable into the MJ3. Lovely sound. Need to listen to my old albums so I can see what I want to replace with digital versions and subsequently downsize away the turntable and records.

Out of curiosity I compared an LP track against a digital file I created and de-noised from the LP (96KHz/32b sample rate). TT into RCA, DAC into XLR playing same track several times.

They did sound different and I'm hard pressed to explain in what way. I did come away with a teensy bit of disappointment with my DAC...:thinking: and my TT isn't all that, either...

Now, I did change the tracking force on the TT after I digitized it and before I did the comparison - maybe that's it? (these sorts of things are the TT-related things I don't want to deal with anymore...)

In any case, the MJ3 is so very resolving that I heard the aforementioned difference.

P.S. I re-digitized and compared spectra of the old and new recording. Looked identical to the naked eye. I'm using Audacity for the above.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #1,027 of 3,100
Would such a fan fit behind the MJ3? I would have to run power to it I suppose...
Behind the heatsink are the inputs, so that would be a bit awkward or far. Before I put my fan on top of the heatsink, I had it in the same place I had it for the Jotunheim 2: directly to the left of it, pointing towards it. It kept my Jot2 at a temperature I felt comfortable with, and it also worked well enough for the MJ3. However, it felt like I was just spreading the heat evenly across the chassis instead. It was barely warm, and I could have been happy with it.

In the end, I moved the fan to its current spot to act as an exhaust, to pull the heat away from the chassis more efficiently. I think overall, the temps are lower with the top exhaust placement, but like I said earlier, I don't know how much cooling is optimal for the amp to perform its best.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,028 of 3,100
So my dear friends, its time for a little review.
To start it of lets talk about the chain I am using.
Every listening has been done streaming either directly from Qobuz or using HQplayer5 to upscale.
As DAC I am using my trusted Mojo2 on almost highest volume (few db down, it clips if I put it at max).
As headphones I am using my beloved Hifiman HE1000 stealth, connected via XLR to my MJ3.

Lets sum up the "not sound" part quickly: Its large, heavy and very solid. The switches have some strong resistance and the volume knob feels verry smooth.
Also just in case noone told you: It runs kinda hot.

So lets get to the interesting part: the sound.
Volume is most of the time around 9 o'clock on low gain and thats more then loud enough, maybe to loud. Plenty of spare power. Would it drive Tungsten well? I hope so, I want to buy one.

So how does the MJ3 sound? One word: effortless.

Thank you for reading my review and have a nice day.

Seriously though ... I could cut it here. That sums it up.
It drives my headphones to what I am certain is there full potential without even realy trying.

The driver control is ridiculous. While my Mojo2 sometimes got slightly harsh when volumes got to high this thing could get me deaf and I wouldnt even realise its to loud.
(Take this as a warning. It realy is that smooth!)
The tonality and timbre are absolutly on point. Its about as good as a good tube amp regarding this. Every different part of drums sounds perfect just like guitars, violins, piano, voices and even trumpets (which I think often sound of)
HQPlayer can mess that up slightly depending on the filter but thats not the fault of the mighty Mjolnir 3.

Dynamics are harder for me to judge. It is definetly capable of slaming realy hard and every natural sound also decays natural. No matter if its the loudest or the quietest in the mix (which I think is realy impressive). But also sometimes the setup can sound slightly soft .. is it the dac, the headphone, the amp or the recording? I cant tell. Probably my Mojo2, it would suit its reputation.

Lets talk about resolution: Perfect. Done.

The imaging and stagingcapabilitys are good although not exceptionaly wide or deep. Hearing how much of a difference HQplayer makes I believe my DAC is the limiting factor here.

Lets get subjective with some song impressions.
It is verry amazing how much air instruments can have around them. How its not just the one sound coming from a direction but more of a "volume of sound". Again I think the limiting factor here is the DAC, this could be even better I am sure.
Listen to some GOOD recordings. Pink Floyds "The Endless River" for example. You will understand what I mean.

Let me try to find an ending ..
I have always liked my headphones but I would not have criticised someone who listened and sayed "not for me". However now .. this stuff sounds objectively amazing. Sure some like a few db more base, upper midrange or trebble but there is no weakness you could hate. The Shiit Mjolnir 3 makes my HE1000 stealth shine in all of there glory.
I spend hours with HE-1 and the difference, although very substential, isnt as large as you may think.

Edit: Please do not judge me to hard for my spelling mistakes. I am not a native speaker and struggle with english spelling a little more then I am comfortable to admit.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #1,029 of 3,100
Wonderful review, @Monsieur Dionysos !
I think MJ3 puts the right spin on resolution (resolving power). Just because it resolves doesn't mean it's ear-piercing.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,031 of 3,100
@Monsieur Dionysos The Mojo got only SE outputs. I wouldn't be surprised if a flagship ESS or AKM with 5V balanced output improved the capabilities of the Mjolnir.

Single ended or balanced shouldnt make a big difference. The MJ3 uses both cirquits anyways as single ended gets "convertet to balanced".
Also I am not a fan of ESS or AKM chips. Mojo2 isnt a high end dac but its the first dac I ever heard that introduced some sort of depth to my music which I never had with any ESS or AKM based dac. But also I never owned one that was very high end.. Next in line for me to try is r2r though. Or a Shiit Multibit DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,032 of 3,100
So my dear friends, its time for a little review.
To start it of lets talk about the chain I am using.
Every listening has been done streaming either directly from Qobuz or using HQplayer5 to upscale.
As DAC I am using my trusted Mojo2 on almost highest volume (few db down, it clips if I put it at max).
As headphones I am using my beloved Hifiman HE1000 stealth, connected via XLR to my MJ3.

Lets sum up the "not sound" part quickly: Its large, heavy and very solid. The switches have some strong resistance and the volume knob feels verry smooth.
Also just in case noone told you: It runs kinda hot.

So lets get to the interesting part: the sound.
Volume is most of the time around 9 o'clock on low gain and thats more then loud enough, maybe to loud. Plenty of spare power. Would it drive Tungsten well? I hope so, I want to buy one.

So how does the MJ3 sound? One word: effortless.

Thank you for reading my review and have a nice day.

Seriously though ... I could cut it here. That sums it up.
It drives my headphones to what I am certain is there full potential without even realy trying.

The driver control is ridiculous. While my Mojo2 sometimes got slightly harsh when volumes got to high this thing could get me deaf and I wouldnt even realise its to loud.
(Take this as a warning. It realy is that smooth!)
The tonality and timbre are absolutly on point. Its about as good as a good tube amp regarding this. Every different part of drums sounds perfect just like guitars, violins, piano, voices and even trumpets (which I think often sound of)
HQPlayer can mess that up slightly depending on the filter but thats not the fault of the mighty Mjolnir 3.

Dynamics are harder for me to judge. It is definetly capable of slaming realy hard and every natural sound also decays natural. No matter if its the loudest or the quietest in the mix (which I think is realy impressive). But also sometimes the setup can sound slightly soft .. is it the dac, the headphone, the amp or the recording? I cant tell. Probably my Mojo2, it would suit its reputation.

Lets talk about resolution: Perfect. Done.

The imaging and stagingcapabilitys are good although not exceptionaly wide or deep. Hearing how much of a difference HQplayer makes I believe my DAC is the limiting factor here.

Lets get subjective with some song impressions.
It is verry amazing how much air instruments can have around them. How its not just the one sound coming from a direction but more of a "volume of sound". Again I think the limiting factor here is the DAC, this could be even better I am sure.
Listen to some GOOD recordings. Pink Floyds "The Endless River" for example. You will understand what I mean.

Let me try to find an ending ..
I have always liked my headphones but I would not have criticised someone who listened and sayed "not for me". However now .. this stuff sounds objectively amazing. Sure some like a few db more base, upper midrange or trebble but there is no weakness you could hate. The Shiit Mjolnir 3 makes my HE1000 stealth shine in all of there glory.
I spend hours with HE-1 and the difference, although very substential, isnt as large as you may think.

Edit: Please do not judge me to hard for my spelling mistakes. I am not a native speaker and struggle with english spelling a little more then I am comfortable to admit.
Thank you for your review!
As my HEKS Stealth are waiting for the delivery of my MJ3, it is reassuring to me that you find the pairing so enjoyable.

God, I can't wait.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,034 of 3,100
@Monsieur Dionysos The Mojo got only SE outputs. I wouldn't be surprised if a flagship ESS or AKM with 5V balanced output improved the capabilities of the Mjolnir.
Single ended or balanced shouldnt make a big difference. The MJ3 uses both cirquits anyways as single ended gets "convertet to balanced".
Also I am not a fan of ESS or AKM chips. Mojo2 isnt a high end dac but its the first dac I ever heard that introduced some sort of depth to my music which I never had with any ESS or AKM based dac.
Having been a diehard R2R DAC lover for many years, I can't believe how much I'm loving my Lumin T3's internal DAC (dual 9028 Sabre). I'll run XLR into the MJ3 and am currently running RCA into my Van Alstine SET 120 stereo amplifier for my speakers (using its LEEDH volume control, so no preamp). I've stayed far away from ESS chips for MANY years. To me, this thing sounds rich, fluid, organic, lush and just really damn fun to listen to.

Oh, and the Lumin T3 outputs 6 volts via XLR and 3 volts via RCA so I think the MJ3 and Stealth will be very happy.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #1,035 of 3,100
Having been a diehard R2R DAC lover for many years, I can't believe how much I'm loving my Lumin T3's internal DAC (dual 9028 Sabre). I'll run XLR into the MJ3 and am currently running RCA into my Van Alstine SET 120 stereo amplifier for my speakers (using its LEEDH volume control, so no preamp). I've stayed far away from ESS chips for MANY years. To me, this thing sounds rich, fluid, organic, lush and just really damn fun to listen to.
My man this thing 5000€ o.O
Its not the sort of dac I am looking to get. But also I would like to try some high end chip dacs just that I dont want to spend any money on it :,)

Also not to forget: I find it very interesting how much of a difference filters make (using HQplayer) so I would realy love to have a true NOS dac to play around with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back