Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #1,037 of 3,100
Hi everyone! I’m trying to buy a new headamp and I’m looking for the most unforgiving amp my budget could buy (1500€). I’m a mixing engineer and I like to work with headphones a lot. My Arya Stealth has been individually calibrated through a GRAS mic system and then its response corrected up to 10 khz to match as much as possible Harman target, using an IR based eq (correcting also phase angles of peaks and dips). Then adjusted to my HRTF tastes. Also crossfeed going on in my digital chain.
I use a Topping E50 powered by Topping P50 going balanced to amp. My previous amp was Topping A90 Discrete. I’ve had Aune S17 Pro, but that was awfully forgiving, every record sounded the same and eq correction on headphones didn’t make any difference.

Reading reviews, it seems Mjolnir 3 could be my right choice.
Anyone could help me, giving more details about it or alternatives in case? Thanks! :)

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #1,038 of 3,100
Hi everyone! I’m trying to buy a new headamp and I’m looking for the most unforgiving amp my budget could buy (1500€). I’m a mixing engineer and I like to work with headphones a lot. My Arya Stealth has been individually calibrated through a GRAS mic system and then its response corrected up to 10 khz to match as much as possible Harman target, using an IR based eq (correcting also phase angles of peaks and dips). Then adjusted to my HRTF tastes. Also crossfeed going on in my digital chain.
I use a Topping E50 powered by Topping P50 going balanced to amp. My previous amp was Topping A90 Discrete. I’ve had Aune S17 Pro, but that was awfully forgiving, every record sounded the same and eq correction on headphones didn’t make any difference.

Anyone could help me, giving more details about it or alternatives in case? Thanks! :)
Based on your description, if you can swing an extra 500 euro, you would probably be in the territory for a used Benchmark HPA4.

Having owned the headphone amplifier twice in my life, if you want utter transparency, all the details on the recording played through a device that measures probably better than everything else, I think this would be the "unforgiving" amplifier you're looking for.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #1,039 of 3,100
Based on your description, if you can swing an extra 500 euro, you would probably be in the territory for a used Benchmark HPA4.

Having owned the headphone amplifier twice in my life, if you want utter transparency, all the details on the recording played through a device that measures probably better than everything else, I think this would be the "unforgiving" amplifier you're looking for.
Thanks for your reply, altough my budget is already super streched. You have the Mjolnir 3? Did you also have the Topping A90 Discrete? I would like to have a comparison of them, cause After the A90 Discrete I’ve tried the Aune S17 Pro and that was so coloured and warm sounding that any record sounded the same. I much preferred the A90 Discrete, even thoigh is scene is flat, but has a lot of detail and resolution.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #1,040 of 3,100
Thanks for your reply, altough my budget is already super streched. You have the Mjolnir 3? Did you also have the Topping A90 Discrete? I would like to have a comparison of them, cause After the A90 Discrete I’ve tried the Aune S17 Pro and that was so coloured and warm sounding that any record sounded the same. I much preferred the A90 Discrete, even thoigh is scene is flat, but has a lot of detail and resolution.
I am waiting for shipment from Schiit for the MJ3. I've heard the Topping a90 but I've never owned it.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,041 of 3,100
Also I am not a fan of ESS or AKM chips. Mojo2 isnt a high end dac but... also I never owned one that was very high end.. Next in line for me to try is r2r though. Or a Shiit Multibit DAC.
IME, I like AKM or Wolfson over ESS. Schiit does the following with their ESS DACs so they may sound more pleasant.

ESS is interesting these days in that most of the chip can be "turned off" and only the core DAC circuitry used. When used in this way most of the ESS nastiness goes away. Won't find that in an inexpensive DAC because it's more work/cost to implement.

I hear that ESS also benefits enormously from HQPlayer converting to DSD. Since you're already using HQPlayer you may want to get a "cheaper" ESS DAC and give that a try.

There are a few R2R DACs between Modi Multibit price and the old Gungnir's price.

My man this thing 5000€ o.O
There seems to be a real gap between Yggrasil-priced and the next price point that is better than Yggdrasil; i.e. between around $2K and $8K there is nothing to beat those $2K DACs.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #1,042 of 3,100
Your requirements are very exacting! Any chance you could borrow an MJ3 before making a decision?

If you do, leave it on for 1hr before critical listening.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #1,045 of 3,100
I’m in Italy and the only way is to buy from Schiit Europe I’m afraid. :frowning2:
The European ones only recently started shipping. What's Schiit EU return policy like?

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #1,046 of 3,100
IME, I like AKM or Wolfson over ESS. Schiit does the following with their ESS DACs so they may sound more pleasant.

ESS is interesting these days in that most of the chip can be "turned off" and only the core DAC circuitry used. When used in this way most of the ESS nastiness goes away. Won't find that in an inexpensive DAC because it's more work/cost to implement.

I hear that ESS also benefits enormously from HQPlayer converting to DSD. Since you're already using HQPlayer you may want to get a "cheaper" ESS DAC and give that a try.

There are a few R2R DACs between Modi Multibit price and the old Gungnir's price.

There seems to be a real gap between Yggrasil-priced and the next price point that is better than Yggdrasil; i.e. between around $2K and $8K there is nothing to beat those $2K DACs.
Rockna Wavelight (or used Wavedream).

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #1,047 of 3,100

There are many good DACs in this price point. You just have to audition few and find one that matches your taste.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #1,049 of 3,100
It’s usual 2 weeks. :)
But I already returned Aune S17 Pro. I’d like to pull the trigger on something safer. And I don’t wanna go back to chi-fi stuff like Topping or SMSL :frowning2:
I have a MJ on order and will also be returning my S17 most likely as i need something to mix audio with. I know for a fact im going to miss the S17, it’s such an outstanding playback amp. So lush and forgiving, together with the level of sound it produces it’s really a brilliant device at its asking price. I can see me purchasing it again somewhere down the line, but i do need the resolution capabilities people rave about regarding the MJ. Can’t wait till mine arrives.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,050 of 3,100
I have a MJ on order and will also be returning my S17 most likely as i need something to mix audio with. I know for a fact im going to miss the S17, it’s such an outstanding playback amp. So lush and forgiving, together with the level of sound it produces it’s really a brilliant device at its asking price. I can see me purchasing it again somewhere down the line, but i do need the resolution capabilities people rave about regarding the MJ. Can’t wait till mine arrives.
I’ve tested for several days. It has a great scene and soundstage, but actually mid and side seem to be separated and my headphone eq profile is barely audible. Crazy! Every record sounds the same basically!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back