Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #151 of 2,827
Add a 1u rack fan and watch all your heat concerns disappear. Class A tamed
IMG_5687.JPG

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #152 of 2,827
I know @Jason Stoddard said there are a lot of options/toggles on this amp. Is there any one place where they are all shown?

For the nerdy amongst you, something like a truth table:
feedback on, feedback off
push-pull, single-ended
balanced, unbalanced

Perhaps the product manual is what you’re looking for.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #153 of 2,827
Almost 72 hours on it now. Just tried my HE6V2 with some rock. Ok, there is something I don`t get: they just never sounded this good. Balanced in and out, class A, low gain, no feedback, volume at 2 o`clock, and they rock loudly enough for me. That richness in the lows with the bass and the drum impacts. The highs that are all there without being harsh with inexisting fatigue...huuummm: this really sounds like my kind of sound. I`m enamored.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #154 of 2,827
Mine arrived at the local FedEx hub Saturday morning. Let's just say this feels like a 3 day weekend but all of these impressions being written have been a life saver during the wait.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #155 of 2,827
Anyone using the MJ3 along with the Freya+/N in a headphone setup? That's what I was planning on, but I'm concerned whether pure class A with tubes is too much of a good thing. Would be curious if anyone is doing this and think its a good pairing.

If anyone happens to have Freya+ and one of these bad boys, I'd also love to hear thoughts on the pairing. I'm getting back into the over-ear game after a while exclusively in the IEM game, and have a few stacks in mind as potentials: BF2->Lyr+, BF2->Val2/Jot2, or maybe BF2 or Yggy into MJ3 and... maybe Freya+ in between to optionally get that tube flavor, since Folkvangr is more expensive, much harder to find, and nightmarish to source tubes for (though, having heard it at the Schiitr last summer.... I haven't ruled it out, either :wink: )

(side note, dang, I should CAD up a cleanly-stacking BF2 case in the 16" form factor that's shorter than Yggy - gotta have those sweet aesthetics even at the living room / "huge desk" size, right?)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #157 of 2,827
Just listened to Azura's coast tes online: morrowind soundtrack with yggy og a2 -> mj3 -> ab 1266 phi tc balanced cables. I have only listened to that song with susvara, hd800s and lcd-x so I don't know if it was just the 1266 or the synergy but that was the best I've heard that song. The soundstage was incredible, more width and depth than I've ever heard. So much detail. I closes my eyes and almost forgot I was wearing headphones. The bass notes hit with such width and weight it felt as if they were thousands of feet wide, and the placement of the strings painted such detailed imagery I was in shock.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #158 of 2,827
Surprisingly (to me) the Schiit distributor in Europe (Sonority) has the MJ3 for sale at €1479, so, quite a bit more than the US price (margin, customs duty and VAT).

More significantly, there is no warning on their webpage that this is only a 110v product. So, given the points made earlier in this thread about voltage converters and AC frequency, I'm going to pass, as good as the reviews above are sounding.

I'll stick with the Burson Class-A (230v) for the time being, which does sound excellent with my planars, especially the Empyreans.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #159 of 2,827
Surprisingly (to me) the Schiit distributor in Europe (Sonority) has the MJ3 for sale at €1479, so, quite a bit more than the US price (margin, customs duty and VAT).
Yeah, but yours comes with free health care.

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #160 of 2,827
Aug 28, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #161 of 2,827
Anyone have impressions with Arya Stealth? As far as I know, it's not that current hungry. Is there a need to run it in push-pull?

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #162 of 2,827
Anyone have impressions with Arya Stealth? As far as I know, it's not that current hungry. Is there a need to run it in push-pull?
I would say no. You’d be fine in class A SE.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #163 of 2,827
I had this running off of my RME-ADI-2 at a meetup. With feedback off sounded louder to me. I listened to my Arya, LCD-2, and Sennheiser HD800.

Don't have anything amazing to add to the thread, just that I didn't hear anything special compared to the headphone out on the RME-ADI-2. Based on the size of the Mjolnir 3 I expected it to have more power.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #164 of 2,827
I had this running off of my RME-ADI-2 at a meetup. With feedback off sounded louder to me. I listened to my Arya, LCD-2, and Sennheiser HD800.

Don't have anything amazing to add to the thread, just that I didn't hear anything special compared to the headphone out on the RME-ADI-2. Based on the size of the Mjolnir 3 I expected it to have more power.
So they sounded the same or nothing really stood out to you?

Out of those headphones which used the most vol?

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #165 of 2,827
So they sounded the same or nothing really stood out to you?

Out of those headphones which used the most vol?

The Arya is the hardest to drive but it drove them fine. I don't think the Mjolnir 3 would drive an HE6(any revision), I listened too those at another meetup and they maxed out the volume knob to get to an acceptable level. The Mjolnir 3 sounded a bit warmer then the RME headphone out but not a big difference. I did notice when I turned feeback off it sounded louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back