Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #107 of 2,953
Initial impressions from 2 days of listening paired with the Bifrost 2/64. Coming from a Jotunheim 2 (using HD800S and HD600 with XLR output):

This thing rocks, and I was sold on it within the first 30 seconds of listening. I have found that Single ended Class A with feedback off is the best configuration of settings, and it really isn't close. Once you turn on push-pull and feedback, it loses a bit of dynamics and sounds a little less lively.

Compared to the Jot 2, everything is wider, more natural-sounding, smoother and refined, without losing any detail. I found live recordings are more life-like and you can "hear the room" more when compared to other amps that I have tried. Detail and texture of sound are clearer, without the occasional sharpness and glare I sometimes find with the treble in the Jot 2. The background seems "blacker" as well, even though I know the Jot 2 is most likely the better measuring amp.

I am definitely keeping the amp, as it is a big improvement from the Jot 2 in my opinion. The only thing I believe the Jot 2 beats the Mjolnir 3 in is punchiness. I believe that the Jotunheim is a bit more dynamic/has a bit more slam than the Mjolnir, which by no means is lacking in dynamics.

IMG_5609.JPG
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 11.21.33 PM.png
IMG_5611.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #108 of 2,953
This thing rocks, and I was sold on it within the first 30 seconds of listening. I have found that Single ended Class A with feedback off is the best configuration of settings, and it really isn't close. Once you turn on push-pull and feedback, it loses a bit of dynamics and sounds a little less lively.
This matches my impressions exactly.

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #109 of 2,953
It seems soundstage is wider on MJ3 compared to Jot2 from what folks are reporting. How's the soundstage depth?

Anyone using the MJ3 along with the Freya+/N in a headphone setup? That's what I was planning on, but I'm concerned whether pure class A with tubes is too much of a good thing. Would be curious if anyone is doing this and think its a good pairing.

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #111 of 2,953
How many days would you say it takes for these to ship? I know it says 5-7, has that been about right?

Never mind, it shipped 1 day after I ordered. Nice.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #112 of 2,953
Only 0.5W into 300Ohm SE. ouch. Keeping the Lyr+.
Yes, but you should hear that 1/2 watt driving Senn HD820s. It sounds more like 5 watts.

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #113 of 2,953
Vibrating?!? The transformer? That has what, a 100VA transformer? It’s not that big.
2 transformers and 2 chokes. Yes, it vibrates. You can barely feel it when you touch the case; it's actually most noticeable when you grasp the volume knob...

I call it more of a "purr" than a vibration. It's endearing, to me. <g>

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #115 of 2,953
Just got mine about an hour ago. Been listening to it for 30 minutes and right out of the box, it is very pleasantly surprising. XLR input from my Auralic Vega and out to my HE100SE. Ordered Sunday, received Fiday. Will try to follow up with more impressions this weekend. I`m already under the charm...hypnotized!

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #116 of 2,953
I got the mj3 in. What I'm noticing right off the bat there is some weight and punch to bass notes. I can visualize the size of shape of drums. I can analyze the sound from a 360 view. Slightly shimmering and forward upper mid and treble sound that could be taken as very slightly siblant to some.

The amp is far from clinical. The shape of treble notes is more of a concentrated peak at the center and dips slightly toward the final few miliseconds. It is not perfectly clean and definitely adds its own sound to the production. Slightly hazy sound not as "smooth" as hdva 600. Bliss kte is even more smooth than both, the mj3 had more edges to treble notes. Resolution seems to be really good and a huge upgrade over mj2, it is capable of playing multiple layers in complex music without bluring notes but there is a very slight haze/sizzle as part of the basic sound this imperfection could even be taken as more detail in some cases. Hdva600 sounds more clear and seems to have higher resolution but it will require further testing. Mid range does have a touch or liquid sound similar to mj2 which I enjoy.

Soundstage is hard to put down just yet it will require more detailed testing and A/B comparisons.

I found I like it best with high gain on, xlr in, single ended class A, and feedback off. The amp definitely adds a bit of character to the music but less coloration than mj2. Just initial impressions I'll post a more detailed explanation once I have more time behind it.

Overall I like it a lot so far. This is just very initial impression. Seems like a huge upgrade over mjolnir 2 in resolution, detail, soundstage placement, and is more clean than mjolnor 2. I wouldn't say mj3 is actually harsh or siblant, it is slightly forward in treble. The more I listen to it the more I'm liking it. Could also be the amp is warming up.

The amp does vibrate and it doesn't run as hot as I expected it to.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #117 of 2,953
I got mine this afternoon. Same initial reaction as others. It is not hot. Warm to touch. Nothing like my tube amps. The sound floor is perfectly quiet and dark. Plenty of power for my LCD2 and ZMF Veritie Open, with lots of detail, soundstage and depth. For the source, I have it hooked up directly to the balanced output on my AK SP3000 using an iFi 4.4mm to dual XLR cable.

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #120 of 2,953
what were you using prior to the MJ3 to power your abyss and susvara and how does the MJ3 compare to that amp in terms of drive ability. thanks.
I used the bliss kte and hdva600. I've also tried a few other amps such as mj2 but didn't like them as much for the susvara or abyss. I recently sold the bliss kte with the intention of trying some speaker amps and using my other amps as pres.

Just based on initial impressions (1 hour listening)

Mjolnir 3 vs mjolnir 2: mj3 pulls ahead drastically in resolution, detail, speed and imaging precision. Mj2 is a great amp but when I used susvara I noticed mj2 sounded low resolution compared to my other amps. Mj3 despite being lower power than mj2 is better for susvara/ab 1266 in my oppinion.

Mjolnir 3 vs hdva600: hdva600 is slightly smoother. Mj3 seems to have a bit of "haze" compared to a clean sound from hdva600 and a slight v shape where hdva600 is more neutral. Hdva600 has more detailed treble than bliss.

Mjolnir 3 vs bliss kte: bliss kte is more neutral than mjolnolir 3 and much smoother. Dynamic range is slightly better on the bliss but not by much. Mj3 still hits hard for only being 2w. Bliss kte has ever so slightly rounded treble but the rest of the frequency range is mostly neutral excluding a hair of bass shelf. Mj3 is more treble forward than bliss kte and more v shaped in my oppinion. Keep in mind it isn't exactly v shaped like some headphone tuning, the difference is much smaller with amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back