Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #91 of 2,949
When you can take Mjolnir 3 from my cold, dead grasp, you will be ready...

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #92 of 2,949
Dude, I used to really like FedEx, but they suck now. Have for a few years. They dropped off my pair of Tyrs across the street while I was away on business. My wife had to haul a pair of Tyr's across the neighborhood. I was pissed. To be fair, I work for a competitor of FedEx, so I may have bias, but I think there are better shippers out there. I wonder why Schiit doesn't use UPS? I feel like they used to years ago. I wonder if UPS got too expensive? I've been pondering finding our small/medium business logistics sales department and putting Schiit on their radar to contact. I won't get a commission or anything, but I've got a Yggy out for delivery right now and I feel like I can't leave the house because I don't trust FedEx. I don't want to look self serving for recommending it though. It's not Schiit's fault that FedEx sucks, but I feel like we deserve better than FedEx. Once again, 5 years ago I think they were great.
I don't think there is a single delivery service today that has anything but mediocre service, especially to the private consumer. Within the past month I've had two deliveries of perishable goods delivered. One by FedEx from Seattle and one by UPS 2-day from Kansas City. It took a SOLID WEEK for the package from Seattle to get to Montana. All the dry ice they used had of course sublimated by the time I received it and thankfully the weather was not scorching. The UPS delivery DID make their 2-day "guarantee", just barely. It was delivered last night after 8 PM by the regular delivery guy. I thought it would be on another vehicle because of the 2-day shipping. Guess not.

Anyhow, as painful as it has been for people, thankfully they have been able to eventually get their Schiit in their hands. I dread the scenario of it getting lost in transit. I'd really love to see what the carriers pay in insurance for lost and damaged goods. I'm sure it ain't cheap!

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #93 of 2,949
Does anyone know if MJ3 can output 8watts per channel if using Push Pull as I recalled hearing that during pre-release. Is that still the case? If so , is it 8W at 32ohms? Also in Push Pull mode, will the unit operate cooler, if so how much cooler?

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #94 of 2,949
Does anyone know if MJ3 can output 8watts per channel if using Push Pull as I recalled hearing that during pre-release. Is that still the case? If so , is it 8W at 32ohms? Also in Push Pull mode, will the unit operate cooler, if so how much cooler?
From what Jason has commented, and from my experience swapping between the modes, I believe its 2 watts in both modes.

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #95 of 2,949
Ordered last Friday, Fedex delivered yesterday, installed this morning, fed balanced from Gumby a1 in place of MJ2.

Could only spend a couple hours with it today, but I have to say, MJ3 is clearly NextLevel(tm) Schiit.

Rotated through HD800/SDR, LCD-3f, GS3Ke this morning, NDH30 this afternoon, all with superb results, and no drama.

This MJ3 has no extra vibrations, no noise at all, and seems just agreeably warm to the touch. ;D

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #96 of 2,949
Ordered last Friday, Fedex delivered yesterday, installed this morning, fed balanced from Gumby a1 in place of MJ2.

Could only spend a couple hours with it today, but I have to say, MJ3 is clearly NextLevel(tm) Schiit.

Rotated through HD800/SDR, LCD-3f, GS3Ke this morning, NDH30 this afternoon, all with superb results, and no drama.

This MJ3 has no extra vibrations, no noise at all, and seems just agreeably warm to the touch. ;D
Nice, so noticeable step up from the MJ2, in what ways?

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #97 of 2,949
From what Jason has commented, and from my experience swapping between the modes, I believe its 2 watts in both modes.
Bummer, thought it would have the higher output in Push Pull mode.Thanks.

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #98 of 2,949
Nice, so noticeable step up from the MJ2, in what ways?
I always enjoyed my MJ2, but it has a personality of its own, depending on its tube set, which worked to different degrees with different cans.

MJ3 is more even handed, and seems to bring out the best of whatever I plug into it.

Layering, detail, soundstage and instrument placement, timbral accuracy, overall seem more balanced.

Less coloration, more straight wire with gain, but not at all clinical. Pretty amazing, really.

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #99 of 2,949
I always enjoyed my MJ2, but it has a personality of its own, depending on its tube set, which worked to different degrees with different cans.

MJ3 is more even handed, and seems to bring out the best of whatever I plug into it.

Layering, detail, soundstage and instrument placement, timbral accuracy, overall seem more balanced.

Less coloration, more straight wire with gain, but not at all clinical. Pretty amazing, really.
Thanks, do you find the MJ3 even with its lower output rating than the MJ2 to have same great dynamics and lowend slam ?

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #101 of 2,949
For those of you lucky listeners, have you noticed any "start up time" for MJ3?
Some equipment, even DACs, need an hour or so to get to "maximum." Does MJ3?

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #103 of 2,949
As a new owner myself, I don't think you'll have too many issues with power.

Right now I'm running my modded HE-6 6-screw in SE Class A mode, high gain, no feedback via the balanced XLR output, volume knob is around 1:30, and these most-notoriously power hungry of cans are sounding better, wider, and clearer than I have ever heard before. And before I was running off a Jotunheim 2 and also as pre-out to an old ADCOM GFA-545 speaker amp. My other cans, HE-1000 Stealth and ZMF Verité C, are driven in low-gain with ease.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #104 of 2,949
2w is more than enough to drive susvara in my oppinion. I think there is more too it than just max watts for dynamic range with headphones. I'm hoping the mj3 proves itself with susvara and abyss ab 1266 phi tc as those are my main headphones.

My mj3 arrives tomorrow. I'll post my results next week. Busy this weekend and won't have time for critical listening.

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #105 of 2,949
I currently have a Jot2 as well, so it doesn't sound like the MJ3 is losing out on the power front and infact sounds more capable than the Jot2. That's reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back