Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #2,506 of 2,755
Don’t worry bro, unless there swapping out the actual driver there’s but so much a mod can do…do not be fooled by the audiophile wizardry
I did mod my HD6XX by adding a copper damper from custom cans and changing the pads and it definitively change the sound, there's good bass now coming from my HD6XX, I also remove all the dampening material from the drivers, with the exception of the paper.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #2,507 of 2,755
Head-fi is a place for both consumers, modders, and producers. You never know when a hobbyist modder will become a producer. Their modded low cost head phone could very well be the holy grail of audio bliss.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #2,509 of 2,755
We dont even know if it has 2W of power at all. May be 1W. Mistakes happen, right? I lost my trust and if the amp dosent blow me out of the water I will send it back.
I don't think you even deserve to have a Mjolnir amp. Please do not buy one. It is not about the power rating. It is about how the amp sounds, and synergies with the dac and headphones. I had my Yggdrasil LiM upgraded to the MiB, awaiting my MJ3, I know it is going to sound so sweet with my Meze Elites, and I care not about power ratings and measurements. I do care about emotional attachment to the music I am listening to. There are literally thousands of personal accountings of how well this amp performs vs. the price tag. Good enough for me.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #2,511 of 2,755
I don't think you even deserve to have a Mjolnir amp. Please do not buy one. It is not about the power rating. It is about how the amp sounds, and synergies with the dac and headphones. I had my Yggdrasil LiM upgraded to the MiB, awaiting my MJ3, I know it is going to sound so sweet with my Meze Elites, and I care not about power ratings and measurements. I do care about emotional attachment to the music I am listening to. There are literally thousands of personal accountings of how well this amp performs vs. the price tag. Good enough for me.
I found the MJ3 / Elites to have great synergy.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #2,512 of 2,755
anyone here have a freya+ to mj3? will it give it more power? i was thinking of getting the tungsten but some people say it doesn't have enough headroom
I don’t have the Tungsten yet, but MJ3 doesn’t take my Lyr 3 tube preamp as well as I had hoped. While it gave more bass and mid power to my Susvara, it lost some of the sound stage and resolution. As for loudness, MJ3 did just fine to 1 o’clock on high gain.

That said, Susvara and Tungsten are only similar in power needs. I’ll have to wait for my own Tungsten to come before I can comment on that. MJ3 is a much more intimate amp anyway. You can’t expect wide soundstage with it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #2,513 of 2,755
I don’t have the Tungsten yet, but MJ3 doesn’t take my Lyr 3 tube preamp as well as I had hoped. While it gave more bass and mid power to my Susvara, it lost some of the sound stage and resolution. As for loudness, MJ3 did just fine to 1 o’clock on high gain.

That said, Susvara and Tungsten are only similar in power needs. I’ll have to wait for my own Tungsten to come before I can comment on that. MJ3 is a much more intimate amp anyway. You can’t expect wide soundstage with it.
ok ill wait for your tungsten then before i pull the trigger haha im not in a rush anyway. thank you!

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #2,514 of 2,755
anyone here have a freya+ to mj3? will it give it more power? i was thinking of getting the tungsten but some people say it doesn't have enough headroom
I don't have Freya+, but I do have a Freya N used as a tube preamp/tube buffer into the MJ3. The Freya N is not going to give MJ3 more power, but it will give it more gain (using tube mode). For example, dac direct to MJ3 with my usual listening level on high gain would be around 10:30 o'clock on the volume knob. But with Freya N in between dac and MJ3, to get the same listening level would only require around 9 o'clock.

Sorry I don't have Tungsten so I can't comment how it pairs with the MJ3. Besides getting extra gain with the Freya N in the chain, you also get extra xlr and rca inputs and outputs if that's important to you, which does for me. Rolling different tubes is another benefit. The possibilities are endless with two tubes for input gain and two tubes for output to swap around. You can definitely expand the soundstage or narrow it depending on the tubes. Basically tune your sound to your liking. Freya N/+(or any capable tube preamp for that matter) can make the MJ3 sound even better.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #2,515 of 2,755
On my MJ3 on high gain Tungsten is more than loud enough at around 3pm on the volume dial when its fed a balanced 4v signal from the dac. On certain tracks where bass is mixed to be A LOT louder than the rest of the song (think Bad Guy by Billie Eilish) then it will audibly distort. I took Tungsten and MJ3 to an audio meet, and even in meet conditions no one complained about the combo not being loud enough. For the majority of music its a fine combo, but here's always gonna be someone who enjoys one of the handful of 30db dynamic range tracks tho so ymmv.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #2,516 of 2,755
I don't have Freya+, but I do have a Freya N used as a tube preamp/tube buffer into the MJ3. The Freya N is not going to give MJ3 more power, but it will give it more gain (using tube mode). For example, dac direct to MJ3 with my usual listening level on high gain would be around 10:30 o'clock on the volume knob. But with Freya N in between dac and MJ3, to get the same listening level would only require around 9 o'clock.

Sorry I don't have Tungsten so I can't comment how it pairs with the MJ3. Besides getting extra gain with the Freya N in the chain, you also get extra xlr and rca inputs and outputs if that's important to you, which does for me. Rolling different tubes is another benefit. The possibilities are endless with two tubes for input gain and two tubes for output to swap around. You can definitely expand the soundstage or narrow it depending on the tubes. Basically tune your sound to your liking. Freya N/+(or any capable tube preamp for that matter) can make the MJ3 sound even better.
thank you! we will see if i ever get a tungsten or the itch to upgrade gets unbearable lol i see that you have a powerquest 3? im planning to get one for myself. is there an actual sonic upgrade or difference?

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #2,517 of 2,755
On my MJ3 on high gain Tungsten is more than loud enough at around 3pm on the volume dial when its fed a balanced 4v signal from the dac. On certain tracks where bass is mixed to be A LOT louder than the rest of the song (think Bad Guy by Billie Eilish) then it will audibly distort. I took Tungsten and MJ3 to an audio meet, and even in meet conditions no one complained about the combo not being loud enough. For the majority of music its a fine combo, but here's always gonna be someone who enjoys one of the handful of 30db dynamic range tracks tho so ymmv.
i see. i dont listen loud so it might be enough for me. my listening db average 60db but i only measure it using an app on my phone so it might not be accurate but still i dont think i listen loud atleast compare to my friends when i visit them and use their rig.

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #2,518 of 2,755
thank you! we will see if i ever get a tungsten or the itch to upgrade gets unbearable lol i see that you have a powerquest 3? im planning to get one for myself. is there an actual sonic upgrade or difference?
This will depend on a few factors. One, are you in the camp that believes in aftermarket cables make a difference. Two, is the power coming into your home dirty. Three, is your audio setup resolving enough. If you answer yes to all three or some of it, I think you will hear some sonic benefits vs not having any power conditioning. Whether how much benefit will vary because we all have different setups, electric power quality, etc.

I am a big believer in power conditioning when I began my two channel home stereo journey back in early 2000s. I started out with Monster HTS 5100 which made noticeable audio and video improvements. Eventually I bought a Sound Application Line Stage power conditioner and was blown away. So I understood from that time on what good power conditioners can bring to the table.

Fast forward to the last 7 years or so, when I started my headphone system journey, even with the modest gear I had at the time, adding in the Powerquest 3 made a noticeable difference vs a regular powerstrip. The high power outlets provided more ease and refinement on my headamps. I heard more inner detail and blacker background and less glare. The other outlets provided similar attributes like darker background less veil. My dac gained more clean sound, better separation of instruments, more dynamics, and more bass impact. For the price back then was like $300, it was worth it to me. Its not state of the art power conditioner compared to my Sound Application, but for the money, PQ3 punches quite well at its price point As always YMMV. Definitely buy one where you can return it for free if it doesn't work out in your situation.

Audioquest recently came out with some newer models. Take a look at those as well. I might need to eventually upgrade mine. 😄

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #2,519 of 2,755
Currently the Freya+ is disconnected, MJ3 by itself. Definitely enjoy what the Freya brings to the MJ3, but MJ3 stands alone just fine. Not concerned about power and Tungstens not on my horizon

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #2,520 of 2,755
I did hearing frequency tests. My hearing cuts out at around 14kHz but I get a heaviness close to a headache up to and beyond 20kHz when the test stopped. So even though I don’t consciously hear that frequency my ears and body are still perceiving it.

So high end distortions from crappy headphones will sometimes give me a headache after about 20 minutes of hearing. Which is why people who tries to sell others on using speaker amps for headphones make me nervous. Just a small inaudible frequency at moderate volume can cause me up to half an hour of headache. I can’t bare to think what would happen when it’s by a speaker amp.
Yep, me too, my hearing cut's off in an around 14khz also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back