Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #2,491 of 2,755
Biologically and technically.
As Rob Watts mentioned from his story to evolve DAC designs, ears are 10% and the rest is our brains, these are capable to distinguish also small and tiny sound transients.
That could mean the more we listen to good gear, take it is an exercise, the more we can reveal in the sound 😜 joking. Though definitely the trained ears could distinguish more.
By eliminating barriers from signal in the DAC designs, and amps that is the base. Though it becomes soon tougher (i.e. distortion vs feedback) and that is why audiophile infidels say 0s are 0s and 1s are 1s, better not to know and be free.

On the other hand Great that we can hear the difference and great that the human brain loses memory so quick. We need keep listening to not forget :)

In my looking to understand why DACs and why cables sound not the same, having no possiblity to hear them all, I turned to synthesizers, the generators/composers of sound. A lot of truth and knowledge for audiophile to seek there. Recommended. Look to a square signal generators versus sinusoid ones and their harmonics when low pass cut-off. And then subtract one from the other. Unbelievable. That is what the ears could hear.
Now do some oscillations in amplitude, frequency, .. that is what impacts also our brain sensitivity.

Hint : if you cut off higher frequency then 20kHz as it is the top ears limit out of the square signal, it is no more square :). Look to frequency spectrum of such cutoff square signal. Simply harmonics of various frequencies far beyond 20kHz are compounds of the square of 1kHz. All to do a ramp from 0 to 1. The proof that i.e. 1kHz square is not about 0s and 1s. There is more 😃
I agree, the science behind this topic is fascinating. 90% happening in the brain seems true for other sensory experiences as well: the same food can taste different, the same colours can feel different and so on. Just like those who appreciate great wine and willing to pay $500 or more for a bottle, on this forum gather the gourmet section of audiophiles. Understanding the biological and technical background is interesting, but we are here for the exquisite pleasure of enjoying good audio.
I used to own a TT2 and Qutest, so I am quite familiar with Rob Watt's puritan design approach when it comes to DACs (and his DACs are indeed great), but many human brains prefer harmonic distortion to ultimate clarity. Just look why tube amps are so popular and how R2R DACs are on a rise these days.
Theory is important and interesting, but simply immersing into music via fine audio reproduction is even more appealing to me. :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,493 of 2,755
I think we found someone who has never heard a Sennheiser modded by JAR, modded himself or heard them scale with a totl system... lol

Edit: Hearing a well modded Sennheiser puts the whole bloated headphone market in quite an ugly perspective rather quickly...
I wish to know more about this modded senn headphones plox

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #2,494 of 2,755
Don’t worry bro, unless there swapping out the actual driver there’s but so much a mod can do…do not be fooled by the audiophile wizardry

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #2,495 of 2,755
Don’t worry bro, unless there swapping out the actual driver there’s but so much a mod can do…do not be fooled by the audiophile wizardry

Have you tried it or are you just talking out of the wrong orrifice again?

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #2,496 of 2,755

Plenty JAR impressions from very well regarded people on the web yet you still decide to remain a little man.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #2,497 of 2,755
Have you tried it or are you just talking out of the wrong orrifice again?
Dude, the gear listed in your profile tells me i won’t win a debate about mods with you, ever! lol i said what i said man, a driver has its limitations, it’s not rocket science…you guys are always asking “have you heard it?”, and yea i get it, id be a fool to tell someone a headphone is tuned a certain way without having heard it…but i don’t need to hear a $300 headphone to know it doesn’t sound as good as a set that costs $3000.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #2,498 of 2,755
Plenty JAR impressions from very well regarded people on the web yet you still decide to remain a little man.
never said they sucked big man

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #2,499 of 2,755
You were dismissive of the guy's impressions with an arrogance you can't quite back up. Who do you think you're fooling? There's nothing to be gained from such ignorance.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #2,500 of 2,755
You were dismissive of the guy's impressions with an arrogance you can't quite back up. Who do you think you're fooling? There's nothing to be gained from such ignorance.
i wouldn’t call it dismissive, but rather informing a fellow audiophile that i believe mods can take a headphone but so far unless the driver is being swapped…he may deem you guys just as f’d up for investing hard earned money to be let down. You like mods, I’m not so crazy about them. Sue me.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #2,501 of 2,755
Here’s someone stating the exact same thing about a JAR650…should i have led with this? lol

IMG_3701.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #2,502 of 2,755
Well...

Sadly, my new-to-me Sendys arrived while I'm not there to run them through the MJ3.

Any love for Sendy's and MJ3 here or did I waste yet more money?

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #2,503 of 2,755
I think we found someone who has never heard a Sennheiser modded by JAR, modded himself or heard them scale with a totl system... lol

Edit: Hearing a well modded Sennheiser puts the whole bloated headphone market in quite an ugly perspective rather quickly...

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #2,504 of 2,755
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #2,505 of 2,755
I agree, the science behind this topic is fascinating. 90% happening in the brain seems true for other sensory experiences as well: the same food can taste different, the same colours can feel different and so on. Just like those who appreciate great wine and willing to pay $500 or more for a bottle, on this forum gather the gourmet section of audiophiles. Understanding the biological and technical background is interesting, but we are here for the exquisite pleasure of enjoying good audio.
I used to own a TT2 and Qutest, so I am quite familiar with Rob Watt's puritan design approach when it comes to DACs (and his DACs are indeed great), but many human brains prefer harmonic distortion to ultimate clarity. Just look why tube amps are so popular and how R2R DACs are on a rise these days.
Theory is important and interesting, but simply immersing into music via fine audio reproduction is even more appealing to me. :)
Also a reason why people still prefer vinyl than digital, absolute fidelity for those people is not the best in that particular case, and I think I heard from someone that there some studies going on about how PCM format of music affects negatively our mood... Really big claim and I'm not sure that I buy it or even understand it completely, but it's not something completely beyond the pale imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back