Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 27, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #6,226 of 6,930
The size of fuse in MJ2 it is small (5x20mm).

I bought my first MJ2 couple years ago, used and that one was have installed T type (slow blow) fuse of value 1A.
My second Mjolnir 2, what I own right now, come replacement of first one directly from Schiit audio, and this was have installed F type (fast blow) fuse value 2A.

I replaced original Fast blow 2A fuse for SR orange Fast blow 2.5A.

I recommend to you open your MJ2 and check type and value of fuse installed, and order next value up SR purple fuse.

My Mjolnir 2 it is configured for 115v. MJ2 configured for 230v, can have different value of fuse.
Kind of curious why you would go with the next value up with the fuse? Seems to me you would want the exact same one, and going with one size up means that it won't blow when it's supposed to? I have the same size SR fuse as the stock fuse in my RH-5 and it's been doing it's thing perfectly.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #6,227 of 6,930
Kind of curious why you would go with the next value up with the fuse? Seems to me you would want the exact same one, and going with one size up means that it won't blow when it's supposed to? I have the same size SR fuse as the stock fuse in my RH-5 and it's been doing it's thing perfectly.
Going up in amps isn't necessarily a bad thing. The amp will pull what it needs even if you went up to 5amps. The voltage has to be correct though.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #6,228 of 6,930
Going up in amps isn't necessarily a bad thing. The amp will pull what it needs even if you went up to 5amps. The voltage has to be correct though.
Now I am even more confused. . .on the thread talking about my DAC which uses a 400ma fuse, we were told by the manufacturer not to use anything higher or it will blow the transformer. Perhaps DAC's are different or at least the one I own is?

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #6,229 of 6,930
Now I am even more confused. . .on the thread talking about my DAC which uses a 400ma fuse, we were told by the manufacturer not to use anything higher or it will blow the transformer. Perhaps DAC's are different or at least the one I own is?
It sounds as though, within your DAC, the transformer current capacity is 400ma. In a current surge, one wants the fuse rather than the transformer to blow. If the fuse here is rated higher than 400ma, the transformer will blow before the fuse. Why in your DAC 400ma rather than 1A, 2A, 3.15A? Probably because the DAC (Morpheus) is not an amplification device.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #6,230 of 6,930
It sounds as though, within your DAC, the transformer current capacity is 400ma. In a current surge, one wants the fuse rather than the transformer to blow. If the fuse here is rated higher than 400ma, the transformer will blow before the fuse. Why in your DAC 400ma rather than 1A, 2A, 3.15A? Probably because the DAC (Morpheus) is not an amplification device.
Thanks for the info. I am going to just stick with swapping fuses with the exact same rating, and not worry about damaging my precious gear (DAC and amps). I figure the people that designed the gear, put a certain value fuse in said gear for a reason, and I see no point in deviating from that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #6,231 of 6,930
Sorry bro. I was basing my post on power supplies. It could very well be that the exact match is needed in those scenarios 😬
Edit: for instance when I had my mcth is was 1.4 amp 28v supply needed. I was able to run 5amp 28v Acopian.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6,232 of 6,930
Thanks for the info. I am going to just stick with swapping fuses with the exact same rating, and not worry about damaging my precious gear (DAC and amps). I figure the people that designed the gear, put a certain value fuse in said gear for a reason and I see no point in using a fuse with a higher rating.
Assuming that the gear which you own is designed by competent / intelligent engineers - certainly true with Pendant, Rogue, Sonnet - a fuse value (in Amperes and Volts) should / would rationally be determined by the lowest current capability present in any circuit in that component. That’s my non-EE take on the matter!

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #6,233 of 6,930
Thanks for the info. I am going to just stick with swapping fuses with the exact same rating, and not worry about damaging my precious gear (DAC and amps). I figure the people that designed the gear, put a certain value fuse in said gear for a reason, and I see no point in deviating from that.
Best advice. Manufacturer knows best.

Even WRT generally load independent devices like DACs, there are start up transient demands, like charging filter caps in various power supplies, which with big capacitor banks can be huge, but which don't last long.

Hence, slow blow or timed fuses. If you know what such transient demands look like, you can spec a fast blow fuse comfortably higher than that, but lower than what would toast something sensitive, like a rectifier, which is usually over specified anyway.

Current before a tranny, where most fuses are, is typically different than after, so you have to do the math.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,235 of 6,930
I am happy to see you posting again! The quick update is: holy grail fuses! Synergistic Research Purples, Hifi Tuning Supremes…you can count the fuse apostles on two maybe three fingers…

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #6,237 of 6,930
P.S……I use both HFT and SRP. Real sonic benefits / rewards for the effort.!

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,238 of 6,930
I had great results back in the day with Isoclean fuses. But looks like today's generation of fuses are much more impressive.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #6,240 of 6,930
P.S……I use both HFT and SRP. Real sonic benefits / rewards for the effort.!
Where do we get these fuses? I think Keith put something different in my MJ2 during the mod. Called it an upgrade. He made me a believer in caps and cables so I'm interested in one of these fuses. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back