Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 12, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,686 of 6,930
What's the best way to connect a Mojo to a MJ2?

The only way I can think of would be with a 3.5mm to RCA cable as the 3.5mm is the only analogue out.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #2,687 of 6,930
Hi guys recently bought myself a Mjolnir 2 and got a bunch of tubes. Can you guys help me identify them and see if they need adapters? The seller mentioned that all these tubes are compatible but I just want to make sure. A quick search also gave me values of some of these tubes but I'm not so sure.

Telefunken AEG, no date of model at the top of the box but I saw that they were $23?
AEG 2.jpg AEG.jpg

Cheap Amperex tubes?
Amperex 1961-1965.jpg Amperex.jpg

??????
Blue Russian.jpg

Two different pair of bugle boys
Bugle boy 1.jpg Bugle boy 2.jpg

Master Series 10M these were expensive! Not sure if good though.
Master Series.jpg Master Series tube'.jpg

Reflector
Reflector 2.jpg Reflector.jpg

??????
Russian.jpg

Mullards?
Service Master.jpg

Siemens
Siemen.jpg

Attachments

• Mini Watt.jpg
    Mini Watt.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Russian 2.jpg
    Russian 2.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #2,688 of 6,930
Hi guys recently bought myself a Mjolnir 2 and got a bunch of tubes. Can you guys help me identify them and see if they need adapters? The seller mentioned that all these tubes are compatible but I just want to make sure. A quick search also gave me values of some of these tubes but I'm not so sure.

Telefunken AEG, no date of model at the top of the box but I saw that they were $23?

Cheap Amperex tubes?

??????

Two different pair of bugle boys

Master Series 10M these were expensive! Not sure if good though.

Reflector

??????

Mullards?

Siemens
All of them can all be used without adapters.

About the types:

ECC88 is the European name for 6dj8 tubes
E88CC is the European name for 6922 tubes - both are an upgraded version of the 6dj8/ECC88
CCa is a special quality version of the E88CC made for the German Government and Military
6n23p (6H23N on the tube print) is a Russian equivalent of the 6922/E88CC.

The CCa, and the AEG (Telefunken) E88CC are the most valuable, at $200 to $300 upwards a pair for NOS. Check if the AEG/Telefunken have a diamond emboss underneath between the pins - that tells you they're genuine Telefunken. There are some fakes around with a laser diamond cut into the glass. The real ones have the diamond embossed outwards, not cut in.

Some info on date codes for telefunken here: https://tctubes.com/telefunken-date-codes.aspx

That's a solid collection of tubes you have there. Shoot me a PM if you need more help identifying each one.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,691 of 6,930
Hi All, greetings!

The Mjolnir 2 looks like an amp worth investing in to me. My question is, should I just go ahead and get a new one or a used one in good condition would be fine? Haven't used an amp before so I am really not sure what I am getting into here :D.

I saw used Mjolnir 2 on ebay sometimes, how much would be fair price for a say 3 years old one assuming good shape?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,692 of 6,930
The value of the tubes that it comes with, other than the stock ones supplied by Schiit, could also figure in to the value.
I would also check for any sale listings of MJ2 here at Head-Fi as well.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,693 of 6,930
Yeah, definitely an R. Good call.
Seen a lot of AEG with dimple getter that are Mullards. Hard to tell but I think I see a dimple getter in the pic. More pics if possible.
Edit
Looking on my tablet, think I see an R code etch signifying Mullard Mitcham.

Good eye guys so they are indeed Mullards as I messaged the seller and he confirmed it.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,695 of 6,930
Thanks @FLTWS! So the typical MJ2 owners should expect to spend a few hundreds bucks on the tubes? :D

Depends, if you are happy with the sound of the stock tubes, no. Or, you could read through this entire thread and the 6DJ8 dedicated thread and keep score of which tube brand / build / and date of issue come up most as favorable and just buy one matched pair of a killer tube and accept that it will be the sound profile you want, or accept that your not missing anything else that could be possible sonically.. Or, you can join the rest of us tube-o-philes, rent a storage facility, and corner the market on all of them.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,698 of 6,930
Hey guys Im new to the forum and have basically searched the entire bloody internet day and night in an effort to see what peoples thoughts on the Mjolnir 2 with Lisst is as compared to the Ragnarok. Do the two come even close to one another in sound quality? I live in palm coast fl which seems to be a dead zone for hifi meets or shops so I have no way to audition equipment. I am also looking to upgrade to the Gungnir multibit. Would anyone here say that a gungnir multibit and mjolnir 2 could be considered an endgame amp/dac set up at least for the forseeable future? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks I currently own the Schiit Jotenheim with multibit dac and also a Questyle CMA400i which I am using to run Audeze LCD-Xs and MrSpeakers Ether C Flows.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,699 of 6,930
LISST's for MJ2 are $100.00
RAGNAROK is $1,700.00
I have MJ2 with LISST's (and lots of tubes). The LISST's will give you a taste of SS sound but can be a touch grainy. For the money the LISST's are worth a try. They will not make it sound like a Rag.

Ragnarok is a different beast; question is do you need / want a speaker amp that delivers 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms? Do you need the Rag's additional in and out and gain features?
I got it because it was Schiit's statement HP amp in an all solid state design but it is decidedly SS sounding to my ears (but not grainy) with all the plus and minus of SS and sound best to my ears when well heated up. I've made use of the extra features, and it offers balanced in / out to HP's (like the MJ2), which I like and use. I've never used the speaker amps.

I've always had a mind set to have examples of tubed and SS amps on hand, I like the variety to listen with, but tube sound is my siren's call.

(Side note: The LYR3 is a very special sounding tube amp but SE in / out only. I lust for a balanced LYR3 with the Freya options of Passive, JFET BUFFER, or Tube gain choice.)

Again, for $100.00, why not try'em.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,700 of 6,930
I appreciate the input I do not need 100 watts on tap at all so I guess that kinda takes care of that for me. I believe that the gungnir multibit and mj2 are gonna be my endgame set up for a while and I will prolly get the Lisst pair as well jus to be able to utilize SS if I feel a need to. Thanks for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back