Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 26, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,071 of 6,930
My Mjolnir 2 arrived last night!

After the unboxing I let the MJ2 warm up for about two hours and then came back for a late night listen. Before getting the gear set up I noticed the whole unit really did warm up! The MJ2 gets warmer than I would have expected given it only runs two tubes.

I set up an AQ Forest USB > Mojo > Kimber GQ Mini > Mjolnir 2 w/stock tubes > Audeze balanced cable > late 2016 Audeze LCD-2s for a late night listen. Up to this point I had only ran my LCD-2s single ended and with moderate power. I had always heard they do well off more power so I selected them to use for my first listen and boy what a treat! Out of the MJ2 these things really sing, this amp just flat out makes these headphones so much better. It was several hours later and I finally had to get some sleep, and only then did I realize my initial intentions where to run two other headphones off the MJ2 that night. That right there is a sign of good things to come.

Also I gotta give a shout out to the crew at Schiit and FedEx for doing exactly what they were supposed to do when they said they would do it in order to get the amp in time for the long weekend. That seems like such a small thing but man it just seems to happen less and less lately.

May 26, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,072 of 6,930
I have upgraded to the Mjolnir2 now. And when using 1962 Philips NOS Tubes, versus the stock ones, I notice one very peculiar thing: when switching on the MJ2, it hums loudly for some seconds before it goes about quiet. It doesn't entirely go silent. With the stock tubes this doesn't happen. Why is this?
By the way, there is always a little hum. Onaudieble over the headphones! Just the unit itself.

Try reseating them by giving them a wiggle. Older tubes can have alittle oxidation versus newer stuff.

May 26, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,073 of 6,930
Try reseating them by giving them a wiggle. Older tubes can have alittle oxidation versus newer stuff.

try a bit of DeoxIT contact cleaner on the pins

May 26, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,074 of 6,930
My Mjolnir 2 arrived last night!

After the unboxing I let the MJ2 warm up for about two hours and then came back for a late night listen. Before getting the gear set up I noticed the whole unit really did warm up! The MJ2 gets warmer than I would have expected given it only runs two tubes.

I set up an AQ Forest USB > Mojo > Kimber GQ Mini > Mjolnir 2 w/stock tubes > Audeze balanced cable > late 2016 Audeze LCD-2s for a late night listen. Up to this point I had only ran my LCD-2s single ended and with moderate power. I had always heard they do well off more power so I selected them to use for my first listen and boy what a treat! Out of the MJ2 these things really sing, this amp just flat out makes these headphones so much better. It was several hours later and I finally had to get some sleep, and only then did I realize my initial intentions where to run two other headphones off the MJ2 that night. That right there is a sign of good things to come.

Also I gotta give a shout out to the crew at Schiit and FedEx for doing exactly what they were supposed to do when they said they would do it in order to get the amp in time for the long weekend. That seems like such a small thing but man it just seems to happen less and less lately.

Wait till you hear the MJ2 with your own personal holy grail tubes.

May 26, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2,075 of 6,930
Wait till you hear the MJ2 with your own personal holy grail tubes.

I am going to try my best to not open the tube drawer until I have a handle on the amp and what its capable of with the stock tubes. My previous stereo pre-amplifier took 6922 tubes so I have matched low noise quads of JJ/Tesla, Electro-Harmonix and NOS Amperex. Once I form my own opinion on the MJ2 I'll season to taste with tubes headphone pairings. As of now, I have about 8-10 hours on it and feel no need to rush into tube rolling.

In general how does the MJ2 take to tube rolling, does it really let the tubes take over or is it more subtle?

May 26, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,077 of 6,930
I am going to try my best to not open the tube drawer until I have a handle on the amp and what its capable of with the stock tubes. My previous stereo pre-amplifier took 6922 tubes so I have matched low noise quads of JJ/Tesla, Electro-Harmonix and NOS Amperex. Once I form my own opinion on the MJ2 I'll season to taste with tubes headphone pairings. As of now, I have about 8-10 hours on it and feel no need to rush into tube rolling.

In general how does the MJ2 take to tube rolling, does it really let the tubes take over or is it more subtle?

That like driving a sports car with crappy tires. You will never get a feel for the Mjolnir 2 using those crappy stock tubes. Of the tubes you list, I would roll in the NOS Amperex. Which Amperex, by the way?

The Mjolnir 2, in my mind is more reactive to tubes than the Lyr 2. But, it is still a hybrid amp so tubes can only have so much effect. Don't worry, good tubes sound really nice in the Mjolnir 2!

May 26, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,078 of 6,930
That like driving a sports car with crappy tires. You will never get a feel for the Mjolnir 2 using those crappy stock tubes. Of the tubes you list, I would roll in the NOS Amperex. Which Amperex, by the way?

Amperex 7308 gold pin

I guess what I am trying to say is that with several hours of listening on the stock tubes things are sounding really good. If things settle in after several more hours thats a plus. Then I can roll in tubes and thats another plus. So it would seem things are on a path to scale up rather nicely.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,079 of 6,930

The MJ2 is a great platform for tube rolling. You can indeed find tubes that will suit your personal tastes. Play around with the stock tubes and try the solid state LISST gizmos, then experiment with tubes. I think you will find very distinct differences among various tubes. You can get much more warmth, treble and clarity vs the stock tubes.

Happy experimenting.

Michael

May 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,080 of 6,930
Amperex 7308 gold pin

I guess what I am trying to say is that with several hours of listening on the stock tubes things are sounding really good. If things settle in after several more hours thats a plus. Then I can roll in tubes and thats another plus. So it would seem things are on a path to scale up rather nicely.

As for timinng, when I started comparing tubes, I ran them for 48 hours before critically listening. I learned that was not long enough and now let the amp run for ~120 hrs before making and critical assessments of a tube pair.

May 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,081 of 6,930

The Mjolnir 2, in my mind is more reactive to tubes than the Lyr 2. But, it is still a hybrid amp so tubes can only have so much effect. Don't worry, good tubes sound really nice in the Mjolnir 2!

Hi Winders,

I believe I recall reading some Schiit material that explains the MJ2 operates in Class A mode until power demands require shifting to AB where silicon plays a bigger role. So, I suppose that depending on how efficient one's headphones are and listening levels, you might be in Class A mode: for a circletron topology, I think that means you are relying on just the tubes for amplification. If I am mistaken, I am happy to learn more.

Michael

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,085 of 6,930
Ok, quick poll for a sanity check. How hot does your MJ2 top plate get to the touch after say 5-6 hours of use?

I listened for about 2-3 hours today and did not power it down right away. When I went back a few hours later to flip the power switch on the back the top plate was way beyond "warm". I put my hand on the top plate and held it there and it was hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back