Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 21, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,011 of 6,930
Just got mine from a great Head-Fi user. Gotta say it's very good sounding from the Mojo as a DAC! With Ether Cs the soundstage got noticeably bigger surpassing my HD600.
Heard few new sounds I haven't heard before in a couple of tracks that I've listened to countless times with the same / even louder volumes. Stock tubes sound kind of slow and midrangy.

I like the Siemens E88CCs though. Kind of a V shaped signature and some sounds sound like they are coming from behind you because the imaging and layering is just so good.
This is all single-ended but a balanced cable is coming... Can't wait for even more improvement :))

To add: I didn't like the HD600s from the MJ2 anymore than just off the Mojo tbh...
The treble/midrange peak is just annoying so will probly sell them as I really have no use for them anymore.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2,012 of 6,930
No dust on my black yggy. No cobwebs either :p

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2,014 of 6,930
  Just got mine from a great Head-Fi user. Gotta say it's very good sounding from the Mojo as a DAC! With Ether Cs the soundstage got noticeably bigger surpassing my HD600.
Heard few new sounds I haven't heard before in a couple of tracks that I've listened to countless times with the same / even louder volumes. Stock tubes sound kind of slow and midrangy.

I like the Siemens E88CCs though. Kind of a V shaped signature and some sounds sound like they are coming from behind you because the imaging and layering is just so good.
This is all single-ended but a balanced cable is coming... Can't wait for even more improvement :))

To add: I didn't like the HD600s from the MJ2 anymore than just off the Mojo tbh...
The treble/midrange peak is just annoying so will probly sell them as I really have no use for them anymore.

It`s good your auditioning SE now, you will hear the improvements with balanced vs SE. I have not tried SE yet.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #2,015 of 6,930
Just a quick question. The Preamp Balanced XLR outs are Analog only right?  (NOT AES DIGITAL).

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,016 of 6,930
  Just a quick question. The Preamp Balanced XLR outs are Analog only right?  (NOT AES DIGITAL).

Digital ends at the input of Yggdrasil......

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,017 of 6,930

Digital ends at the input of Yggdrasil......

That's what I thought. The very expensive amps sometimes have AES XLR out (which is backwards compatible to analog, same with the cables. The speakers I plan to buy, have both inputs. Analog XLR and Digital XLR/AES.  Thank you for verifying it. Guess I could use the same type of Analog interconnects for the speakers as between dac and amp then : http://www.qed.co.uk/analogue/xlr/reference-xlr-40-analogue.htm . It creates some unity :p

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #2,018 of 6,930
  To be honest. I think the Yggdrasil would be a better option for you. You would gain more from that decision. 

That's the next dac purchase, but it's difficult to justify 2300 plus tax plus shipping at the moment—Bimby is a much higher percentage of the Yggy experience than, say HD800 is of the K1000—they're totally different. My newest toy (vintage amp) should arrive this week...about half the price of Rag after taxes and shipping. We'll see how it plays with K1000 and HE-6; it's single-ended (1/4 inch), and I need to get a speaker taps to 4 pin XLR cable.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #2,019 of 6,930

That's the next dac purchase, but it's difficult to justify 2300 plus tax plus shipping at the moment—Bimby is a much higher percentage of the Yggy experience than, say HD800 is of the K1000—they're totally different. My newest toy (vintage amp) should arrive this week...about half the price of Rag after taxes and shipping. We'll see how it plays with K1000 and HE-6; it's single-ended (1/4 inch), and I need to get a speaker taps to 4 pin XLR cable.

He was considering buying a Ragnarok as upgrade for his MJ2. While a upgrade for his Bimby to the Yggdrasil would result in much better sound. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,020 of 6,930
Is there same kind of benefit running studio monitors from balanced out rather than SE, like the headphone section? In other words are the SE pre outs gimped the same way the SE headphone outs are?

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,021 of 6,930
  Is there same kind of benefit running studio monitors from balanced out rather than SE, like the headphone section? In other words are the SE pre outs gimped the same way the SE headphone outs are?

Define the word gimped please.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,022 of 6,930
He was considering buying a Ragnarok as upgrade for his MJ2. While a upgrade for his Bimby to the Yggdrasil would result in much better sound. 

From hd800, I believe you. But for power starved he6/k1000? I'm not so sure. I'll get back to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,024 of 6,930
Schiit don't "gimp" any parts of their circuits, they have stated. On the contrary, Jason has gone to a lot of trouble to make SE perform as well as balanced from what I recall of his chapters about their designs. I would like to see where it's been shown the SE headphone outs are 'gimped'???

There are different opinions about balanced versus SE, though most favor balanced it is true. Caution is needed though - if people don't level match the outputs in reaching their conclusions, louder sounds better in most scenarios. The louder output is the balanced one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back