Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,996 of 6,930
  Hey, can you recommend better tubes (than stock) around 100€ what are good for listening rock and metal. My headphones are HD 600 if that matters. My Mjo2 will arrive after easter.
I also see in eu site that there is Gungnirs coming in stock... 1 for me please.

Search out the Lyr tube rollers. What works there, works here. I moved from Lyr to MJ2 for that very reason.

Amperex orange globes and bugle boys do pretty well. Moving up, the 7308's are nice. I ended up going all-in with E188's and CCa's.

Russiam tunes do well too.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #1,998 of 6,930
  Hey, can you recommend better tubes (than stock) around 100€ what are good for listening rock and metal. My headphones are HD 600 if that matters. My Mjo2 will arrive after easter.
I also see in eu site that there is Gungnirs coming in stock... 1 for me please.

Can't go wrong with the iFi NOS 6922 IMO. Recommended by me and several other people here.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,999 of 6,930

Can't go wrong with the iFi NOS 6922 IMO. Recommended by me and several other people here.

Very good considering $100.00 US for a matched pair.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #2,000 of 6,930

Very good considering $100.00 US for a matched pair.

Indeed, even Mike recommends the 5670 which is what the iFis are based on.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,001 of 6,930
Having them come with an integrated adapter is nice too.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,002 of 6,930
I'm considering upgrading my orange globes but I'm also considering going straight for the Rag...decisions decisions.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #2,003 of 6,930
  I'm considering upgrading my orange globes but I'm also considering going straight for the Rag...decisions decisions.

Not sure how much the oranges will set you back, but they will only keep you away from the Rag longer than you want to be.
You know you want one. LOL.

The Ragnir combo is a great way to have your cake and eat it too!

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,004 of 6,930
Spotted this announcement for the new Focal Shape active monitors...I wonder if I should consider them for the MJ2 which is on its way to me.

http://www.soundonsound.com/news/musikmesse-focal-shape-monitors-use-passive-radiators

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,006 of 6,930
  Does anyone else's Mjolnir 2 make occasional creaking/popping (I mean the unit itself, not in the audio chain). If I push town on the top of the unit it will make a similar clicking sound, so I'm pretty sure it's just a seam that moves slightly with the expansion/contraction of warmup and cooldown. Drove me crazy trying to pinpoint it for awhile, now it doesn't bother me. Just curious.

This just started happening to mine too, only after turn off. It's a little irritating. I guessed the same cause, but I was concerned that it could be coming from internal electrical components, though it happens even if unplugged.

Anymore people noticing this? How's your mojo running currently @westermac?

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,007 of 6,930

This just started happening to mine too, only after turn off. It's a little irritating. I guessed the same cause, but I was concerned that it could be coming from internal electrical components, though it happens even if unplugged.

Anymore people noticing this? How's your mojo running currently @westermac?

I actually recently parted with my Mjolnir 2 as I found it overkill for my LCD-X, which I found pretty much as enjoyable from the headphone output of my audio interface (blasphemy, I know). Were I spending most of my time with the HD800 I definitely would have kept it, however.

I never had a single issue with it, nor has the current owner to the best of my knowledge. I am confident that the noise was a result of a seam/joint/in the chassis creaking as it warmed or cooled. I wouldn't worry about it unless you find it a huge distraction, just a small quirk in a fantastic amp :)

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,008 of 6,930

To be honest. I think the Yggdrasil would be a better option for you. You would gain more from that decision. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,010 of 6,930
Just got an email about my ordered Yggdrasil ... it will be another two weeks or if I replied they had a black one available to send instead...

I'll stick with the silver to match what I have now plus the black might tend to absorb a bit more heat and show more dust.

I do not think I'll regret the decision much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back