Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Mar 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,876 of 6,973
  Well actually the point of using a balanced setup is to eliminate crosstalk between channels created by the fact that both channels share a common ground (also xlr also allows you to run much longer distances due to higher voltage and redundant hot channel which cancels out interference). By using the 1/4 output, you go back to a common ground. So yes, you negate part of the benefit of using XLR interconnects.

But you don't negate the benefits of the XLR connection between the Yggdrasil and the Mjolnir 2...which was the question. The downsides are for the headphones, not the DAC to amp/preamp communications. The main downside is the SE outputs have less power (yes, I knew about that, tjl5709) than the XLR output.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,877 of 6,973
Has anyone tried the Utopia with the Mjolnir 2 and, if so, could provide some reference points to other amps? That seems like it would be excellent synergy.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,878 of 6,973
I agree, you do eliminate the portion of crosstalk induced by connecting the DAC to the amp.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,880 of 6,973
I just got the Mjolnir 2 yesterday and the quality exceeds my expectations.

Given that I had already purchased their Asgard 2, I was thinking that it would be hard to get much better than the Asgard, I could only justify it because I wanted the balanced XLR since I recently purchased a Sennheiser HD800S.

The difference is day and light.

The only surprise was that when you switch it on, there is a vibration/hum that lasts about 4 seconds and it fades away, it appears to be the A/C transformer. Also, the tubes sound a bit like they are sizzling on start up and shut down of the appliance, also perfectly normal it seems. Nick at Schiit wrote that it was expected behaviour.

The sound coming from this amp is really amazing, I am not too sure how this is possible to get to this level with the same source music. The guys at Schiit certaintly did some magic with this product.

My digital input is from a custom built computer into a Denon 300USB DAC (optical SPDIF), I also purchased the Gungir but I do not have it yet. I will post there again when I get a chance.

I listen mostly to Itune and some FLACs as well, so nothing spectacular with the source music quality, neither am I using bit perfect playback software, recommendations welcome.

Still the performance of this Mjolnir-2 is breathtaking. I am wondering if this can really get any better with their top of the range gear.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,881 of 6,973
Heck yeah, just installed it, freaking breathtaking, though I am not using the stock tubes, got 1965 Siemens CCa grey shields in the MJ2 and 1958 Amperex 6922 Heerlen D-getters in my Lite Dac 68. First time running balanced. Nice you can change from balanced to SE with a flick of a switch. Using a HE-560 set of cans.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,883 of 6,973
A lot of new Mjolnir 2 owners this week. Congrats to all of you!

I'm close to a month in with my Mjolnir 2 and still in a state of enchantment. The first thing I do when I get home from work is turn on the Mjolnir to warm up (Gungnir MB stays on) and after dinner I spend the evening sneaking into my office to listen to music every chance I get.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #1,884 of 6,973
  A lot of new Mjolnir 2 owners this week. Congrats to all of you!

I'm close to a month in with my Mjolnir 2 and still in a state of enchantment. The first thing I do when I get home from work is turn on the Mjolnir to warm up (Gungnir MB stays on) and after dinner I spend the evening sneaking into my office to listen to music every chance I get.

Thank you! I am basically retired so I am at home all the time. My Yggdrasil is on all the time. When I am home the Mjolnir 2 is on pretty much all day.

Ho do you like the GE 5670 tubes? What other tubes have you tried?

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,885 of 6,973
Happy to hear a similar positive feed back from you : TK16, Winders, Kayhiksi. Really enjoying this new gear. I just hope that the tube will behave, probably should stock up. Thanks

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,886 of 6,973
I have to note, with the Yggdrasil/Mjolnir 2 setup using all XLR interconnects and headphone cables, this is the first time I would say that my headphones sound close to a speaker setup. Obviously there are still significant differences. But the sound is full and engaging with depth and a more realist soundstage than with the Lyr 2. Considering how great my speakers sound now, that is a big step up from where I was before.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,887 of 6,973
Heck yeah, just installed it, freaking breathtaking, though I am not using the stock tubes, got 1965 Siemens CCa grey shields in the MJ2 and 1958 Amperex 6922 Heerlen D-getters in my Lite Dac 68. First time running balanced. Nice you can change from balanced to SE with a flick of a switch. Using a HE-560 set of cans.

The synergy with HE-560 must be fantastic.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #1,889 of 6,973
Ugh. This Gungnir multibit backorder is killing me. My MJ2 is being held up as I placed an order for both a gumby and MJ2 at the same time. :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,890 of 6,973
Ugh. This Gungnir multibit backorder is killing me. My MJ2 is being held up as I placed an order for both a gumby and MJ2 at the same time. :frowning2:

But all your cans will sound so good when they come!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back