Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 31, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,682 of 6,946
I'm guessing they could add that new topology from the Jot to the solid-state side of MJ3 as well as general improvements to sound quality (especially on the MJ2's SE output that I've seen mixed reviews on).

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,683 of 6,946
  I'm guessing they could add that new topology from the Jot to the solid-state side of MJ3 as well as general improvements to sound quality (especially on the MJ2's SE output that I've seen mixed reviews on).

Agreed.

In addition to what you said, a feature similar to that of the Freya where you could easily switch between solid state and tubes could be nice (don't know how feasible that would be though). That would be especially interesting given that it's not particularly easy to remove the tubes from the MJ2.

Also, putting the power switch on the front of the unit?

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,684 of 6,946
Based on their track record, I bet there will be some significant changes.

I only mentioned the MJ3 since the MJ2 came out in 2015 and Schiit seems to update their products every 2-3 years. I got the Vali long after the Vali 2 was released (preferred the original design) so upgrade-itis isn't a problem. Would be nice to see what they do next plus the MJ2 may get closeout pricing.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,685 of 6,946
Agreed. The only thing more interesting than LISST is not needing to extract your tubes every time you want to hear solid state sound. I guess you could argue that they can be moved to Vali 2, Lyr 2 etc. but that seems to be a weak argument.

It would then make Lyr 3 the fabled "Jotuntubes," albeit exclusively single-ended, unless Jason is even more of a ninja than I thought.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #1,686 of 6,946

Also, putting the power switch on the front of the unit?

Hell no.

If Schiit ever puts a switch on the front, I'll stop buying.

It's a hallmark of their design.

Plus, it would ruin the looks.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,687 of 6,946

Hell no.

If Schiit ever puts a switch on the front, I'll stop buying.

It's a hallmark of their design.

Plus, it would ruin the looks.

How would a third little switch like the input and gains switches ruin the look?

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,688 of 6,946
  How would a third little switch like the input and gains switches ruin the look?

Because it would be unnecessary.

Cleaner is better.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #1,689 of 6,946

Because it would be unnecessary.

Cleaner is better.

That's your opinion. Mine is that having the power switch in the back, especially for a tube amp which MUST be turned off, makes it impossible to install it in a way where the back isn't easily accessible (e.g. under a desk shelf) at all time, and a lot of reviews I've read and watched seem to agree with me. So let's just agree to disagree.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,690 of 6,946
  That's your opinion. Mine is that having the power switch in the back, especially for a tube amp which MUST be turned off, makes it impossible to install it in a way where the back isn't easily accessible (e.g. under a desk shelf) at all time, and a lot of reviews I've read and watched seem to agree with me. So let's just agree to disagree.

Someday you may agree, I love remote switches and this has driven my adoption pace towards smart home elements.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #1,691 of 6,946
Jason will never put a power switch on the front. The merits of that have been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,692 of 6,946
  That's your opinion. Mine is that having the power switch in the back, especially for a tube amp which MUST be turned off

It must be turned off?

Interesting. I never turn mine off.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #1,693 of 6,946

It must be turned off?

Interesting. I never turn mine off.

Assuming you are using vacuum tubes and not the LISST "tubes", not turning off the amp will greatly shorten the life of said tubes. If you are using cheap and readily available tubes, maybe you don't care. Heck, maybe you are rich and you don't care. But most people probably should care.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #1,694 of 6,946

Assuming you are using vacuum tubes and not the LISST "tubes", not turning off the amp will greatly shorten the life of said tubes. If you are using cheap and readily available tubes, maybe you don't care. Heck, maybe you are rich and you don't care. But most people probably should care.

Yep, tubes are in.

I have lots of tubes lying around.  When they wear out, take them out, pull out another pair from the drawer.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #1,695 of 6,946
  That's your opinion. 

Ahhhh.

But my opinion on power switches is the same as Schiit's.

That makes it better.

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back