Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Nov 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,516 of 6,973
  Also if the Mojo is a "competent DAC" it lacks extension bothways

Not sure what you mean by this.  Are you say it's rolled off at the low and high end?

Are you using it to drive headphones directly?  

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,518 of 6,973
  Yes and yes.

Well, as a DAC the Mojo might be competent.  But as an amp...?

Whether it is or isn't competent as a headphone amp is going to depend a lot on what it's driving as its power output isn't very impressive: 35mW at 600 ohms vs 425 mW at 600 ohms for the Mjolnir 2.

In other words, the MJ2 puts out 10x the power.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,519 of 6,973
Similar to a previous commenter, I'm going to sell my Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack and get an MJ2. Going to use my Mojo as my DAC for a bit until I can afford another desktop one. I'll be back with impressions after the transactions are final. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #1,520 of 6,973
  Similar to a previous commenter, I'm going to sell my Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack and get an MJ2. Going to use my Mojo as my DAC for a bit until I can afford another desktop one. I'll be back with impressions after the transactions are final. 

Very nice! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #1,521 of 6,973
I would never give up my beloved Bimby, but MJ2 is an exceptional amp, capable of driving any headphone satisfactorily. HE-6 and K1000 test it most, and even they sound great on it, though they are both capable of more (when your wallet recovers).

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #1,522 of 6,973
I would never give up my beloved Bimby, but MJ2 is an exceptional amp, capable of driving any headphone satisfactorily. HE-6 and K1000 test it most, and even they sound great on it, though they are both capable of more (when your wallet recovers).

Wouldn't even give up your Bifrost for a shiny new Gumby? :p

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,524 of 6,973

Well, as a DAC the Mojo might be competent.  But as an amp...?

Whether it is or isn't competent as a headphone amp is going to depend a lot on what it's driving as its power output isn't very impressive: 35mW at 600 ohms vs 425 mW at 600 ohms for the Mjolnir 2.

In other words, the MJ2 puts out 10x the power.

The Mojo is a bit too weak for certain headphones like the HD 800 and HD 650. 

IMO the Mojo serves 2 roles.

Portable source and as a standalone DAC.

When I drive the HD 800 straight out of the Mojo, it sounds thin and unimpressive.

Off the Crack speedball + Chord Mojo, the sound has more body and there is that warmy gooey sound that everyone likes from the crack.

I have a ZMF Eikon(neutral headphone) coming in a few months.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Crack speedball vs Mjolnir 2?

Maybe it's better to stick with the Crack speedball instead.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,525 of 6,973
As I recall, crack speedball is more in line with Vali 2 in terms of detail retrieval and overall transparency. Great entry level tube amp but not capable of the Mjolnir 2's authoritah!

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,526 of 6,973

Let us all know how it turns out.  I am also looking to get the mjolnir-2 to be paired with the Mojo.  The Mojo is definitely underpowered for my LCD3.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #1,527 of 6,973
  As I recall, crack speedball is more in line with Vali 2 in terms of detail retrieval and overall transparency. Great entry level tube amp but not capable of the Mjolnir 2's authoritah!

A question to the Mjolnir 2 owners.

I just got mine yesterday and I hooked it up to my modi multibit....

Problem is that it doesn't drive my HD 650 or HD 800 loud enough..

I'm honestly surprised because I thought the Mjolnir 2 is suppose to be extremely powerful.

I have it turned up maxed 100% volume and the knob turned all the way on high gain and it's only moderately loud with my HD 650.

Am I doing something wrong?

It's surprising that my crack speedball can drive both my headphones and the volume better than the mjolnir 2.

I'm using LISST tubes btw.

With other tubes, it gets loud enough at MAX volume...

did I get a defective Mjolnir 2?...

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,529 of 6,973
There's either something wrong with the amp or how you hooked everything up. It should be plenty loud by the time the volume knob is at 10 to 11.

I have it maxed and it's soo much quieter than my speedball crack.

Sigh, so disappointed. I went back to my speedball crack and it sounds better and it drives my HD 650/HD800 to higher volume as well.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,530 of 6,973
Do you only have the Liist tubes? Also try it with a different source. I did have a similar problem when I bought a used MJ2. Max volume was still too quiet. Also, switching gain settings put the amp in protection mode. I ended up returning it. I hope you get it working because I know its a great amp and I still want to try it again someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back