Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Nov 13, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,501 of 6,930
I thought that DAC technology had been around since CD players, around 1982. That is a long time.

Apple's iPhone 7 has a DAC built into a $20 adapter cable, surely Schiit' s DAC costing $900 can't be that much different to demand such a premium over Apple.

I worked making DACs for the medical instrumentation industry in the early 70's. Patents for early DACs date back to the late 1930's 

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,502 of 6,930
One reason I haven't yet dropped the $100 on the iFi tubes is that everyone calls my '68 amperax more 'euphonic,' and i still find my HE-6s occasionally sibilant. I need all the euphony I can get. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,503 of 6,930
I have seen a few people comment on the Mjolnir 2 pairing with the Senn 800 with generally favorable impressions.  Any recent impressions with the Mjolnir 2 and Senn 800S?  Positive or negative?  SS vs tube mode?  Any dacs you feel work well with these two?  

Thanks for your insights!

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,504 of 6,930
  I have seen a few people comment on the Mjolnir 2 pairing with the Senn 800 with generally favorable impressions.  Any recent impressions with the Mjolnir 2 and Senn 800S?  Positive or negative?  SS vs tube mode?  Any dacs you feel work well with these two?  

Thanks for your insights!

I have Sennheiser HD800's paired with the Mjolnir 2 with ifi tubes and Gungnir Multibit. I seriously enjoy the setup. I'm still trying to decide if I want to upgrade to a Ragnarok and Yggdrasil as I still haven't heard either of them but as for the pairing of the HD800 and MJ2, it really is incredible! All I can really say is upgrade the stock tubes to the ifi tubes. Stock, I didn't hear much extension in the treble and a general haziness in the high frequencies. The ifi tubes fixed that and added better separation and a wider soundstage. It's almost like everything was a little bit out of focus with the stock tubes and the ifi tubes brought everything into crystal clear perfection. The HD800 and Mjolnir 2 with the right tubes sound like a match made in heaven.

Sorry about the write up, I'm not much of a writer. If you have any questions or would like further clarification on something, don't hesitate to ask.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,505 of 6,930
  I have Sennheiser HD800's paired with the Mjolnir 2 with ifi tubes and Gungnir Multibit. I seriously enjoy the setup. 

Hi blance44.  Thanks for your observations.  Can you confirm your cans?  800 or 800S?

Also, do you have any observations regarding your Senns and Mjolnir 2 in solid state?  I assume not as ideal vs the upgraded tubes but curious.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,506 of 6,930

Hi blance44.  Thanks for your observations.  Can you confirm your cans?  800 or 800S?

Also, do you have any observations regarding your Senns and Mjolnir 2 in solid state?  I assume not as ideal vs the upgraded tubes but curious.

Thanks.

I have the Sennheiser HD800. 

I tried the LISST tubes for a very short amount of time. I felt as though the treble had more grain to it and the soundstage was a bit closer than with tubes. With those two things in mind, I didn't find them to be right for the HD800. I could see the LISST working well with planars like the Audeze lcd 2 but not anything as accurate and detailed as the HD800.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,507 of 6,930
So when I plug my uerm into the se out I hear a faint hum on the right channel.  I cant hear it with hd800 or thx00 is this normal? I bought it off some one so I'd have to do a out of warranty repair.  I also swapped liist, and checked diffrent power outlets around the house with the same results from the right channel.  You cant hear the hum while music is playing, I asked a friend and he said its probably just too much power for the ciem  since my agd 1amp makes a low hum too.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,510 of 6,930
Why is there a seam in the aluminum about an inch in on the bottom? It would be invisible except that I have it perpendicular to my desk and it sticks out. Would it be significantly more expensive without this?

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,511 of 6,930
  Why is there a seam in the aluminum about an inch in on the bottom? It would be invisible except that I have it perpendicular to my desk and it sticks out. Would it be significantly more expensive without this?

From Jason's book, the Mjolnir/Gungnir chassis is longer than Bifrost/Asgard chassis. Because of this, the metal shop was unable to create a single piece chassis with the same U bend as their metal breaks are not capable of making that deep of a 45 degree bend. So, a compromise was made using a J shape for the top of the chassis and a flat plate for the bottom. This also made final assembly a bit easier when getting those LEDs lined up. Basically, it would be impossible to build the chassis as designed without this.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,513 of 6,930
  Can I use my chord mojo as the dac with the mjolnir 2? Are they compatible/good match for each other?

Yes they are compatible. I'm going to order the MJ2 real soon actually to amp my Mojo and Ether C/HD600. Just use a 3.5mm to dual RCA and you're good to go. Haven't seen any impressions of those two together though so also interested.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,514 of 6,930
  Can I use my chord mojo as the dac with the mjolnir 2? Are they compatible/good match for each other?

Any competent DAC is a good fit for the Mjolnir 2.  The more relevant question is if the Mjolnir 2 is a good match to your headphones.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,515 of 6,930

Any competent DAC is a good fit for the Mjolnir 2.  The more relevant question is if the Mjolnir 2 is a good match to your headphones.

Also if the Mojo is a "competent DAC" it lacks extension bothways, also soundstage on its own... Maybe it feeding line-out into an the Mjolnir 2 will add those things back kind of like a high gain switch on some amps. Remains to be seen though but I'm hopeful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back