Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 26, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #963 of 6,966

Was wonder when the troll would reveal himself as a troll. :) Though I must admit I was laughing along.

troll? who me? im just wondering if the rag+ygg improvements over the mjolnir+gungnir is enough to justify the extra cost.

I think he meant the person that was replying to you with made-up numbers, who was trolling you as your question is unanswerable. 

I think whether better gear from any manufacturer is "worth it" depends largely on the music you have first, followed by the headphones you use secondly. Usually, if you want to hear more fine details and "hear more into the music" of good recordings, you buy better gear. Justifying the cost is something you do or don't do yourself. 
smile.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #965 of 6,966
At the very least, I recall the mighty friendly and ever helpful reddog saying that a Yggdrasil and Mjolnir would be worthwhile and sensible. That is, if you could only afford to upgrade one of those components.

Based on his comments, I moved from gumby/mj2 to yggy/mj2.

I see no reason for me to move to rag as I really like the tube sound, and I don't need all that power as I am HP only.

Did I hear a difference? Yes. Same sound signiture, just more resolution and detail as he pointed out. It's amazing how much music it extracts from a redbook cd.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #966 of 6,966

I think he meant the person that was replying to you with made-up numbers, who was trolling you as your question is unanswerable. 

I think whether better gear from any manufacturer is "worth it" depends largely on the music you have first, followed by the headphones you use secondly. Usually, if you want to hear more fine details and "hear more into the music" of good recordings, you buy better gear. Justifying the cost is something you do or don't do yourself. 
smile.gif

Also, available budget is a huge component of any "worth it" decision.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #967 of 6,966
I have the budget but im deciding if the significantly more expensive ygg & rag might be better that it'll convert me back into solid state setups. So far im a tube person. Also i am using headphones only.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #968 of 6,966
  troll? who me? im just wondering if the rag+ygg improvements over the mjolnir+gungnir is enough to justify the extra cost.

Of course it is.

...but maybe not.

You might be disappointed.

...but maybe not.

(i.e. there's no right or wrong answer. You legitimately aren't going to get much more helpful information. The Rag + Yggy are the highest end models in Schiit's line up - they're better. How much better? Schiit themselves won't even tell you. Listen for yourself, that's all you can do).

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #969 of 6,966
I have the budget but im deciding if the significantly more expensive ygg & rag might be better that it'll convert me back into solid state setups. So far im a tube person. Also i am using headphones only.

Why don't you go for the Yggy and the Mjolnir 2, which will launch you into Schiit's flagship DAC while allowing you to both keep tubes and the balanced inputs to capitalize on the Yggy's balanced outputs? If I was set on Schiit's lineup, and given your preferences, that's what I would do. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #970 of 6,966
As symmetrical as the GMB would be with my MJ2, when I upgrade past the multi frost it will be straight to the Yggy. What's an extra thousand.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #972 of 6,966

Why don't you go for the Yggy and the Mjolnir 2, which will launch you into Schiit's flagship DAC while allowing you to both keep tubes and the balanced inputs to capitalize on the Yggy's balanced outputs? If I was set on Schiit's lineup, and given your preferences, that's what I would do. 

+1   Thats a great combo.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #973 of 6,966

So mjolnir 2 is good enough. But how does gungnir multibit compare against yggdrasil. Don't want to overspend on an end game setup only to find that the difference is so little. Maybe theres another dac out there thats better and have balance outputs for around the same price?

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #975 of 6,966
yeah, it's GMB or yggy, and if you're on this site, sooner or later your curiosity will come down on the side of Yggy: the only question is whether you drop 1300 on the GMB in the interim 
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back