Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Nov 8, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #586 of 6,930
Thanks Reddog I just placed my order for the Telefunken E88CC / 6922  can't wait to hear these!  My Mjolnir is pretty much burned in and I burned in the Lisst tubes which require at least 40+ hrs to loosen up.  Initially a touch bright and stiff they have opened up now and the highs don't seem tinsely any more.  I am using the balanced out of my Benchmark DAC2 HGC to the Mj2 and the soundstage is unreal.  I been doing a lot of reading on the Yggdrasil and considering selling my Benchmark to fund it but I may take the 15 day challenge first to see if it bests the Benchmarks balanced outputs?

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #587 of 6,930
Thanks Reddog I just placed my order for the Telefunken E88CC / 6922  can't wait to hear these!  My Mjolnir is pretty much burned in and I burned in the Lisst tubes which require at least 40+ hrs to loosen up.  Initially a touch bright and stiff they have opened up now and the highs don't seem tinsely any more.  I am using the balanced out of my Benchmark DAC2 HGC to the Mj2 and the soundstage is unreal.  I been doing a lot of reading on the Yggdrasil and considering selling my Benchmark to fund it but I may take the 15 day challenge first to see if it bests the Benchmarks balanced outputs?

I am sure your MJ2, paired with the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, hooked up to Benchmark DAC2 HGC will make any headphone, you own, sing like a muse of old. However the Yggdrasil is a bloody fantastic DAC, that is ever so resolving yet remains ever so musical. I would go for the 15 day return, and try out the Yggdrasil.

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #588 of 6,930

I wouldn't recommend trying to reduce the harshness with tubes. Good tubes are pretty transparent. The harshness comes from a 6KHz peak/resonance that can be nicely mitigated with a simple mod. Google "Anax 2.0".

I agree, after did some readings in here seems it will not fix it. I will try that mod when I get a chance. I wonder if anybody is selling the felt. I am really good at artwork. Btw shultzee sold me his e88c tubes. I am really excited to try those. I heard the stock tubes on Mj2 are not as good. I am actually satisfied with it already but I guess it would be a nice upgrade then. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #589 of 6,930

I wouldn't recommend trying to reduce the harshness with tubes. Good tubes are pretty transparent. The harshness comes from a 6KHz peak/resonance that can be nicely mitigated with a simple mod. Google "Anax 2.0".

I agree, after did some readings in here seems it will not fix it. I will try that mod when I get a chance. I wonder if anybody is selling the felt. I am really good at artwork. Btw shultzee sold me his e88c tubes. I am really excited to try those. I heard the stock tubes on Mj2 are not as good. I am actually satisfied with it already but I guess it would be a nice upgrade then. 

Most of the art/hobby stores have the felt.    If you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby store around they should have it.

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #591 of 6,930

Most of the art/hobby stores have the felt.    If you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby store around they should have it.

I miss typed a sentence over there... i was trying to say I am not really good at art work. Lol. There is hobby lobby store in my area. Thanks for the tip.

If you follow the directions from the inner fidelity site it is really a easy process.  They spell out step by step and also have a video.  They also have a pdf file  to print the templates to cut the felt.  

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #592 of 6,930

There's no shame in using EQ, especially in moderation. I think you will find a little as 2-3 dB adjustment can do wonders. Everyone's hearing and tastes are different and we are all buying the same components so EQ can give us that last 10% that is exactly to our personal tastes. I expect I'll add +2-3 dB from 64 Hz on down even with the HG 75's I'm rolling once my Ethers get here. I like my low end bass just a little above neutral. When you start approaching +/- 6 dB, then that's an indication that one or more components are not suited to your listening tastes.

I also found a good music player like Audirvana that has a top shelf up sampling algorithm can take some edge off the treble if you go for the max sampling rate your DAC can handle.

Tube rolling is a sick disease that eats your dollars and fills your drawers with delicate glass objects that you can't hide! 
eek.gif
 Check out my Little Dot classified and see what I mean!

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #593 of 6,930
Hi Guys, no listening impressions yet as I only ordered the Mjolnir 2 last week and 230V version is backordered. 2-3 weeks to wait according to the website. I remain patient, mainly thanks to the WA22 / HD800 I am listening at just now (Talich Quartet, Beethoven; String Quartet #1).
More than adequate to pass the time while waiting. 
dt880smile.png

One question though. So far I only considered the Mjolnir as a balanced amp, not paying much attention to the single-ended possibilities of the M2. This had me wondering what the difference are on the input side. If fed single-ended signal will the M2 work up to its full potential or only "half" of it?

I understand the limitations of the single output and am mainly interested how single-ended input works together with balanced output.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #595 of 6,930
Has anyone run the MJ2 as a preamp? I plan on going Source->GMB->MJ2->The King when it arrive in Dec. and want to get some impressions on how well it works as a preamp.

I do, single ended into some powered stereo speakers. Works fine. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #597 of 6,930
Has anyone run the MJ2 as a preamp? I plan on going Source->GMB->MJ2->The King when it arrive in Dec. and want to get some impressions on how well it works as a preamp.

I've used a MJ for a few months to a Parasound Halo to Nautilus 805's. Excellent! The MJ may be a tad too high output, though. Can't really go past 12 o clock and the Parasound is at 3/4 power, making it not the ideal THX setting as per manual of the Halo. If I go full out on the Halo, I'll have very little granularity on the MJ. It's a small room as well though and the 805's are not particularly hard to drive. I just bought an MJ2/Gungnir combo and will try with that as well...

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #600 of 6,930
  Can someone please educate me on the $30 balanced upgrade for the HD650s?  I'd like to upgrade my HD600s to balanced but all I can find is the official $240 Sennheiser HD600/HD650 XLR cable.

$24 stock cable + $6 Neutrik 4-pin XLR Connector + some soldering tools and skill = $30 balanced cable.  If you have the tools and skill, it's $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back