Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 17, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #6,106 of 6,930
I'm just getting to know my MJ2 and Gumby (had about 3 weeks). Got my adapters in earlier in the week, and trying various tubes now. CV455 from Langrex, RFT ECC81 recommended in this thread, Amperex 7308 PQ (white lettering), CV4033 (not in yet), RFT ECC82 (also not in yet), and Tungsram ECC82 black plate no holes, single pole, solid plate getter (recommended by Wes). Those have been tough to find but I was able to get my hands on a few. So far they are the clear winner (and freaking amazing) with the RFT ECC81 in 2nd place (a bit bright for my taste but reveal details like crazy. Will report back with some pics soon.

I use OG Focal Clears but I'm now the proud owner of the ZMF Verite Closed stabilized Atoll. They just shipped out today and I was thrilled to get them.
Bravo, on procuring some killer tubes! Did you say Tungsram ECC82 Black Plate. . . now that's what I am talking about right there. If it's truly a black plate (grey plates look very similar), then you have done the impossible, and I am seriously impressed. :astonished: Look out folks we have another tube roller that means business in the mix. :smile: Looking at the tubes you mentioned (all of which I have recommended in the past), I believe you have been reading a bunch of my past post, and I am glad they were put to good use. :beerchug: You have quite the collection of tubes and with the VC on the way fun times ahead no doubt. Well done!

By the way, not sure how many hours you have on your RFT ECC81's, but they do settle down a bit with a good 50-60 hours, but they are definitely more revealing than the other's.

Love the avatar too, and looks familiar. . . :wink:

20210724_103918.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #6,107 of 6,930
…after all, the gear must earn its keep…you are not running a charity…🤨🎼🎶
Absolutely on both counts. If I could afford to, and I had a bit more space, then I would consider keeping both.

C3R is very good. I had 4 hours of listening with it last night and I think it's an improvement over Gumby & MJ2.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #6,108 of 6,930
Absolutely on both counts. If I could afford to, and I had a bit more space, then I would consider keeping both.

C3R is very good. I had 4 hours of listening with it last night and I think it's an improvement over Gumby & MJ2.
…your Mjolnir II does not have the capacitor modifications, right?….hmm….

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #6,110 of 6,930
Bravo, on procuring some killer tubes! Did you say Tungsram ECC82 Black Plate. . . now that's what I am talking about right there. If it's truly a black plate (grey plates look very similar), then you have done the impossible, and I am seriously impressed. :astonished: Look out folks we have another tube roller that means business in the mix. :smile: Looking at the tubes you mentioned (all of which I have recommended in the past), I believe you have been reading a bunch of my past post, and I am glad they were put to good use. :beerchug: You have quite the collection of tubes and with the VC on the way fun times ahead no doubt. Well done!

By the way, not sure how many hours you have on your RFT ECC81's, but they do settle down a bit with a good 50-60 hours, but they are definitely more revealing than the other's.

Love the avatar too, and looks familiar. . . :wink:

20210724_103918.jpg
Thanks for the kind words! I'll post some pics of the tubes in the next few days but yeah, found the black plates in the ECC82's. They are absolutely killer. I really did like the RFT ECC81's for how revealing they were - I'll have to put some more hours on those as well.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #6,111 of 6,930
No it's stock.
That may be why you think that the Burson 3x Conductor is an improvement over Gumby/MJ2….

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #6,112 of 6,930
Thanks for the kind words! I'll post some pics of the tubes in the next few days but yeah, found the black plates in the ECC82's. They are absolutely killer. I really did like the RFT ECC81's for how revealing they were - I'll have to put some more hours on those as well.
Wes and the gang here really do have excellent and discerning taste in bottles. With my DOG(Deaf Old Guy) ears, I'm happy to benefit from those who can still hear.

I loved the '56 CV455's in VH2, but even more in MJ2. They sound as good or better than the CV4033's I have, including the excellent '57 Footscrays, particularly with my Grados.

RFT ECC81's are in VH2 now, and they're as good or better than the 7728's I'd been using, also from Wes. ATM, paired well with HD650, and loving it.

Tomorrow, should have those Arcturus 5965's in hand, maybe one more flavor to indulge in VH2.

An embarrassment of riches.😛

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #6,113 of 6,930
Wes and the gang here really do have excellent and discerning taste in bottles. With my DOG(Deaf Old Guy) ears, I'm happy to benefit from those who can still hear.

I loved the '56 CV455's in VH2, but even more in MJ2. They sound as good or better than the CV4033's I have, including the excellent '57 Footscrays, particularly with my Grados.

RFT ECC81's are in VH2 now, and they're as good or better than the 7728's I'd been using, also from Wes. ATM, paired well with HD650, and loving it.

Tomorrow, should have those Arcturus 5965's in hand, maybe one more flavor to indulge in VH2.

An embarrassment of riches.😛
Hey, if you CAN hear the difference, the DOG is learning some new tricks…😜

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #6,115 of 6,930
That may be why you think that the Burson 3x Conductor is an improvement over Gumby/MJ2….
Could be but I have no way of validating that first hand unfortunately.

Mine isn't the 3XR, it's the 3R (not balanced).

The 3R and 3XR are listed on the Audeze website as over of the recommended dacs/amps for LCD-4. Has more then enough power and has good synergy.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #6,117 of 6,930
Could be but I have no way of validating that first hand unfortunately.

Mine isn't the 3XR, it's the 3R (not balanced).

The 3R and 3XR are listed on the Audeze website as over of the recommended dacs/amps for LCD-4. Has more then enough power and has good synergy.
I think @Slim1970 briefly owned that particular Burson. What's crazy is at the time. He preferred the modded Liquid Platinum over the Burson.
The MJ2 stock spanks the modded LP imo.
Not sure what cans he had at the time though.

It is a subjective would we live in and synergy plays a huge role in it as well. If you decide on the Burson you should have no issues recouping your money for the schiit stack lol. The Burson also looks like it takes up much less real-estate as well.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #6,118 of 6,930
I think @Slim1970 briefly owned that particular Burson. What's crazy is at the time. He preferred the modded Liquid Platinum over the Burson.
The MJ2 stock spanks the modded LP imo.
Not sure what cans he had at the time though.

It is a subjective would we live in and synergy plays a huge role in it as well. If you decide on the Burson you should have no issues recouping your money for the schiit stack lol. The Burson also looks like it takes up much less real-estate as well.
True, but rolling op-amps just does not have panache. Consider this: can anyone on this thread name any holy grail op-amp? An electronic oxymoron?…

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #6,120 of 6,930

Users who are viewing this thread

Back